New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  05:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBDboater

Why do you need 4x4? Unless off-roading, you probably won't need it.

I live in Vermont and we get lots of snow. I've got a picture on my hard drive at home of a 4x4 bus thats just a little bigger than mine. I'll post it at some point. Its cool and ugly at the same time.

Could just stick it on a duece in half chassis!
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  5:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Imagine a plow on this bad boy...

Go to Top of Page

LBDboater
Advanced Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  7:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know for sure that all of our snow plows here in VA are 2 wheel drive, rear wheel. If anything, I would just want the auto chains or maybe a traction sander. 4 wheel drive is a little overboard.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  02:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have snow plows in Virginia? Does it ever snow more than 1/2" at a time there?

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  06:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got a cousin in VA and there have been times the past 2-3 years where they got more snow than us here in VT. That said 4 wheel drive is never overboard in my book on a plow rig. Let see...weight of diesel drive train on front end + the weight of the plow... Why not drive the front wheels where most of the weight is? Unless, like a plow dump truck you have a sander with a bunch of sand for weight in the bed. Besides it may get kinda expensive if you need to find someone to come pull you butt out of a snow bank because you don't have 4x4 to get yourself out. It all doesn't matter because it sounds cool, but this 4x4 bus with a plow isn't likely to happy. Notice the word likely.
This is how I talk normally right before I try to buy something.
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  07:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, 4x4 is good for mud, and those days when you want to go down that dirt road in the pouring rain to avoid traffic.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  08:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His bus is a small Blue Bird bus. That bus above is an AmTran.

Give that bad boy a slick paint job, chrome wheels, and you'd have one heck of a ride...
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  12:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blue Bird mini or shorty? Not my Amtran 4x4. yet.
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  05:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wired the trailer lights on the bus. It already had the reciever. Going to use the bus with a car dolly to go pick up a 1998 VW Beetle thats about 110 miles away. Road trip with my daughter. Whole family is excited. New generation, new Beetle.
Women was driving the car and hit a bump, the oil pan hit the ground and tore a hole in the pan big enough for my hand to go inside. She drove it a block to the stealership. They siad $500 to put a pan on and see whats condition the engine is in. I picked up a used engine with 42K on it for $400 for "insurance". The pan is $200 anyways. Got the car for $800. 64K, original owner with a clean undercarriage. Bus should pull it easy. Wish me luck! Beetle pictures here: http://asnowsquall.smugmug.com/gallery/4167008#243456309

Edited by - asnowsquall on 01/18/2008 05:58:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  9:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love my bus. What an awsome machine! Very solid tow rig with all kinds of torque. So handy.
Engine mover:

Car mover:

Handled the 216 miles roundtrip like nothing. Getting about 10 mpg so I need to work on the veggy conversion.

Got the car in the garage. Pulled the chunk of metal off the pan and patched it with fiberglass just so I could fill it with oil. Started good, just had a little ticking in the lifters for about a second. I may have lucked out. Will install the good pan and see how it goes.
Already got the stickers off, car will buff out nice. Family is about as excited as I am.
Videos here:
http://asnowsquall.smugmug.com/gallery/4194719#245125649
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  10:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you like that Amtran, check out some of these...

http://www.tulsatruckmfg.com/Pages/buses1.html

I'll take the lifestar and the fs-65 at the bottom please

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  1:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wish my handycap door was in the back.
Nice.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000