A few questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  6:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I just got a few questions that I have been wondering about my bus's tires and other things lately, and how to keep it in good working order.

Well to start out, this bus is a 1991 Chevy Blue Bird w/ a 366 gas and AT-545, hydro brakes, the Illinois special. This bus has sat all winter and most of last summer. It was parked in the mud for about a year and i decided I would move it onto some rock, is the rock okay for the tire to be sitting on for long periods of time?

Next, I had to replace a front passenger tire about a year ago. I had 6 new Goodyear's all the way around, but one night was was parking it and the sidewall split on a steer tire. Now, 8.25 R20 size tires aren't cheap or easy to come by, so I had to get one from a junkyard. It is a Michelin made in about 1991. It looks to be in good condition (very little dry rot, not weather checked, soft and still flexes), and when they mounted the tire they didn't make any comments, and it has a new inner tube in it. It has held the bus up fine for a year now, and took out on the road a few times with no troubles. My question is, what can I do to prolong the life of the tire until I save up enough money to either get it recapped or buy a new tire, and what precautions should I take when driving it? Also, what are the dangers of running a tire that old? And lastly, what can I do to keep my other 5 tires in good condition?

Now that the bus has been sitting for a few years, and I'm getting the money to actually operate it, it will be back on the road in about 1 more month. I want to make sure it is in as good of shape as I can get it so I don't get stuck on the side of the road and so I have no troubles. Before I take it out again, what should I check for and inspect for a safe operation? I have replace the plugs (wires, cap and rotor soon), changed the oil, and lubed the chassis. All fluids are also good.

Keep in mind, I am a teenager and don't have too much money to spend, but I just want to get this bus out on the road and have some fun, instead of having it sit in the yard. I want to be as legal and safe as possible while driving it, so I'm only going to take it on back roads and not go over 45 mph.

Sorry for the long post, and if there are any errors, I'm in a hurry and just wanted to get these questions asked If I have anymore questions I will ask later. Thanks!

drivin4safety
Advanced Member

United States
259 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  11:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Send drivin4safety a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My suggestion, and maybe someone else can tell us whether I'm right or just right off my rocker, is to get or make some covers for the wheels/tires. I would imagine you could purchase some through an RV dealer or simply cut them out of plywood. I would think if you can protect them from the sun that will help prolong the life of the tire. Like I said though I might be way off. Also, if you can get the bus up on stands to help protect the wheel bearings. Again, check with people more in the know than me. I'm just going off what I've observed and been told over the years.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  1:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont put a cap or caps on the front!! I believe that its illegal anyway in all 50 states. Covers would be good. Also any money you have left over will be sucked up by the gas that 366 uses in the end!.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  09:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find a salvage yard and get you some tubless rims/tires. You could probably sell your old ones and get some money back. Also you might check into some RV exhaust systems for a little better mileage.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  5:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I plan on making some covers this summer, maybe made out of old seat covers I have around. Now that someone has said something I remember that caps are illegal on the front, so I doubt I'd do that then.

As for tubeless rims and tires, I don't think that would be necessary for me since it will just be a vehicle I drive once a week or so, not too hard either. Just a nice cruise And I will probably need a new exhaust system soon, not for mileage, but currently it comes out under the bus instead of the back or side, and the muffler might go soon anyways.

Thanks guys
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tire aging-Remember that when recaps fail it is usually the tire casing and not the recap itself that fails. There is now way I would recap a 1981 tire or run it further than across the street It's just too old to be safe, I don't care how good it may appear. We won't cap anything older than three (3) years old. Reason? The failure rate becomes too high when the tire gets a few more months on it. There is NO problem with a three year old casing, but when you might run it another year or possible two, that becomes an issue, since the failure rate goes WAY up on a four or five year old tire casing. Better to buy some recent casings than to cap the old ones. Might even be les expensive to buy new tires than to purchase a casing AND a recap. The other problem you will have is the 8.25 X 20 size being hard to find, as you have already found out. You can probably use 9.00 X 20 and be okay on your rim size, and I would make sure they were 9.00 X R20, the "R" designating them as radial tires.
Good luck!

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  1:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

I'm going to try my best to take it easy on this tire until I get enough money to replace it. Would it be possible to keep my original 8.25 tires on the back and just replace both fronts with 9.00? It would look weird but I can't see a problem with it.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  10:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody,
No problem at all. It will sit a little nose high, but it's not really an issue otherwise, you will be over the minimum tire GVW rating for the axle and that is not a bad thing at all. Just don't go the other way, it's not legal to reduce the tire GVW/capacity from factory specs.
We have a number of buses that came with the low profile 255/70 R 22.5 tires for flat floor clearance. We immediately switched to 10R 22.5 front tires since they would get two or three times the wear the "low-pros" will. It's similar to what you want to do, but perhaps a worse or more radical change. Worked fine! If it were mine I wouldn't think twice about it. If you can, see if you can get some tubeless rims and mount the 10R 22.5 instead. You'll be glad you did. If you can't, you can't, but it would be nice if you could.

Joe

Edited by - wagonmaster on 03/19/2007 10:44:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  10:55:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joe, What brand of bus are your flat floor buses? I have Blue Birds buy do not feel a taller tire will fit without scuffing when the bus goes through a diagnal dip. I'd like to change the tires if I can.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  5:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would not consider running any tire over 10 years old on a School Bus.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  5:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I think I will be picking up a set of 9.00 R20 tires from a local school district for a cheap price, they are in good condition and even come with the rims! Hopefully they fit on my bus fine, since mine is a GM and they came off of a Ford. If not I'll have to take it in to get the tires remounted and such. Thanks for the help!
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  03:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad,
We don't swap the drive tires, only the steer axle. We have swapped the drive tires for test puposes and they clear everything we encountered in the test, but when we let the air out of the bags, the floor would touch down on top of the tires. This could create a real problem if an air bag were to "blow" all at once, in my opinion.
The buses are Thomas buses, Vista units from 1994 to 1998 and are 47 and 71 capacity shells. No worries with the steer tires, however!

Joe
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  03:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody,
The rims on Dayton type wheels don't care which brand of bus or chassis they are on Cody. They will interchange without issues. LIkewise, they could be running tubeless rims, which would be a real benefit to you. However, they would be 10R 22.5 and not 900R 20. No matter, either will work in this case, I believe.

Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000