School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Thermostat stuck open, can it damage engine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  1:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My DT466 has a bad thermostat and won't get over 100 degrees. Talking with some friends and they asked can it do damage to the engine? I'm thinking it could effect efficiency, but not sure on damage.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  2:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, theoretically it could. Incomplete combustion of fuel from low temps, fuel washes into the oil thinning it, eats the bearings and so on.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  7:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will also keep your engine oil from reaching normal operating temperature, which will hurt lubrication to the engine. This is more of a problem at higher rpms I'd think.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  08:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely it WILL.

Diesels need good combustion temperature to burn all the fuel, when combustion temps drop (from excessive ideling, low coolant temps, or just plain COLD weather) a significant amount of the fuel injected is unburned. This fuel does not lubricate, but causes "wash-down" of the cylinder liners, and very rapid wear.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  5:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A thermostat swap on a DT 466 is very simple, regardless of the model year. Why put it off?

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  6:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lately the weather. I haven't put much mileage on it. Weather looks good next two days. I'll change it out and then its going on Ebay.
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  12:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You were right, that wasn't bad. Hardest part was me the hack mechanic getting the old gasket off of both sides. Says 170 degrees on the gauge now and what a ya know, it has heat again! Its sold and they are coming to pick it up tomorrow. Talk about wait to the last minute.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000