New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  1:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1988 GMCV Conventional with a 8.2 Detroit/Allison Auto. I need to purchase a new or used radiator. This bus was wrecked and I have everything except the radiator. Can someone direct me to one? My phone is 812-874-2216 leave a message with our receptionist and we will call you back. Save on phone charges.

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  6:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems like most independent radiator shops could get you an aftermarket Modine at a reasonable price. I bought one for an '86 several years ago without any difficulty.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  07:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure he still has that in the shop waiting for a radiator.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  12:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn this one is old. I think we got a used on from Mr Johnson over in your neighborhood. I have been getting my Chevy stuff from 1-800-radiator.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  2:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was responding to someone who removed his post. Nice, it looks like I brought this up! LOL

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  4:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, talk about an oldie....

Just this past year I needed two radiators for a couple of our plow trucks, both IH 2554s, a '99 and an '00. The fins were so rotted the tubes were bouncing around and I knew this would be all bad during a snowstorm.

Navistar wanted $1300 for an all aluminium radiator replacement. I checked NAPA Prolink with the IH part number and they wanted $730 for the EXACT SAME MADE IN CANADA RADIATOR! No brainer, huh?

Well two months later I bought another one from NAPA, the same one the IH dealer was selling, for $599!!! These are very well constructed radiators and fit perfectly. If any of you have International buses with those half radiator/half charge air cooler fronts, the same company makes them and are available thru NAPA considerably cheaper than IH.

If you have an OEM part number and a NAPA Prolink account, it's worth a shot!

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  06:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do find a lot of stuff with ProLink. The boss actually has a Napa store in the front of the building and a service center next to that. I have to share my building with a bodyshop until I can afford to lease the thing myself

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000