New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  6:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a problem with the coolant resivor on a BB Vision. The driver complained that there was a leak at one of the small hoses going to the front of the resivior. I pulled it in and loosened up the clamp to pull it off intending to cut a little off the end and reinstall. What actually happend was when I pulled on the hose the whole nipple came off. The plastic broke and I said what the heck am I going to do now!!

This is what I did for a temporary fix. It lasted for about three weeks. I ordered the part and it came in the next day but I had other issues to attend to on other buses.

This is what it looked like when I pulled it off. I took a die grinder and made the hole bigger.

I bought the supplies I thought I needed but ended up having to make two trips to the hardware store. I ended up not using the gasket material or the washers. There is just not enough threads on a pipe nipple to do that.

This is what it looked like when I put it all together before installation.

There it is all installed. The driver of this bus is also a pilot. He just about lost it when I showed him what I did. He was real good about it and even complemented me when I put the new tank on. Said he checked it twice a day because he never though it would hold.

Any questions? Bryan West professor at large....... class dismissed!

Edited by - bwest on 02/15/2011 6:45:29 PM

IC_cruiser2804

48 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  7:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha Nice temp fix! It was a good save!

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  7:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the complement! I was quite proud of it!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  06:30:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a great repair! BB really did a good job when they engineered that tank. Its the worst thing I have ever seen. Do your self a favor, replace it with the fabricated aluminum one. They cost a little more but well worth it in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  06:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting tired of changing these tanks. Almost every one of my Visions have had a new tank installed. Only 4 of them made it under warranty. The rest, we pay for. I refuse to buy an overpriced fabricated aluminum tank. Bluebird still uses this POS tank on the 2011, just different mounting. Terrible thinking on their part.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  07:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new one was mounted different. I wonder if they had trouble with those plastic mounting pads breaking off or something? That looks to be the only difference.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  09:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodness! How many feet of loose hose is supported by the tank fittings? Not a very good design at all. Replace tank and make a support for the hoses maybe?? Good luck!!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  11:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They used a similar tank in the AAFE. Those tanks were mounted in a steel bracket that surrounded it. I replaced one of those for the small tube breaking off never had one crack or blow out at the seams like the vision. Also the radiator caps fail quite often spewing coolant out the overflow tube. I believe that I could fabricate something out of some PVC that would be much better.

Good thinking on the quick repair Best.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 02/16/2011 11:51:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  06:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to resurrect this post. but was wondering if anybody can tell me if the fabricated alum tank that is talked about in this post is available from dealer or after market? and if after market where or name of supplier(s), if dealer I'll call different bird dealer I have a 08 that developed a crack and pinhole leak in the bottom front corner just this morning, basically cracked right below the fitting that's broken off the one pictured above, and so far my bird source say they can get only the plastic one. thought I would use/purchase a fabbed alum if i can find one.
Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by - slippert on 11/07/2011 07:15:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  07:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

Sorry to resurrect this post. but was wondering if anybody can tell me if the fabricated alum tank that is talked about in this post is available from dealer or after market? and if after market where or name of supplier(s), if dealer I'll call different bird dealer I have a 08 that developed a crack and pinhole leak in the bottom front corner just this morning, basically cracked right below the fitting that's broken off the one pictured above, and so far my bird source say they can get only the plastic one. thought I would use/purchase a fabbed alum if i can find one.
Any help would be appreciated.

Try phone number contained in post below;

"we have just finished our aluminium radiator tank for the Thomas bus with the Freightliner engine. its a bolt on unit to the existing bracket. All the the hose fittings are included. i know this will take care of the plastic cracking problems. We have sold 500+ with our Blue Bird version !!!! thanks joe stef 732-367-8700"

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  10:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Fastback
Go to Top of Page

stefsfab

United States
7 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  10:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit stefsfab's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have looked at the replacement BB vision tanks that are supposed to cure the cracking problem, close but still problems !!!!!!!! our tanks are made our of 1/8 aluminium, heli-arc welded and 100% leak tested. Yes they are more expensive than the plastic tanks but by the time you replace 2 of them were at the same price. Why did Blue Bird contact us to build Aluminium Tanks ??? Too much BS from them and they didnt want to pay the price !!!! Well it cost them in the long run with warranty work. Currenty we build BB Vision early and late,BB Vision All American and Thomas Freightliner. Please feel free to give us a call 732-367-8700 Keep them busses on the road !!! Over 1000 tanks sold !!!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  11:21:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BB# 10007704 is the plastic kit replacement for 2007 emissions. Here is another http://www.autoradiators.com/proddetail.asp?prod=237030. OOOPS not available anymore? I wonder who bought them all?

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 11/07/2011 11:23:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

yellowbusjoe

16 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  12:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit yellowbusjoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have the same problem with our Vision's. I used to deal with OBS out of Canton Oh. They would supply the oringal stupid design -or- they had an aluminum one. Yes the cost was more, but replace once and done.
By the way OBS was bought out by Cardinal bus of Lima Oh. Lucky for me they retained the parts man from OBS. Good guy, very, very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  12:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowbusjoe

By the way OBS was bought out by Cardinal bus of Lima Oh. Lucky for me they retained the parts man from OBS. Good guy, very, very helpful.

I think you'll glad they did. Cardinal is top notch, they'll take care of you!
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  12:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have three of these tanks in my fleet they have an update which comes with new mounting brackets replaced all three the dealer gave them to me under warrenty i put them on and havent had an issue since
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  06:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have not had a problem with the new style tanks. I think my oldest one has been on there a couple of years.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  12:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 75 buses or so that I put the kit on have never broke again. I did put a couple of the steel ones on from BB as well.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000