New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  12:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
October 25, 2006 - CBC News - British Columbia, Canada - A school bus went off a wet road near Kitimat in northwestern B.C. late Tuesday afternoon and rolled, leaving a 17-year-old boy in hospital with serious head injuries.

Two other students were also injured, but not as seriously. The other 40 students were treated for minor injuries and sent home.

The accident occurred about 5 p.m. local time when the bus was taking students from Mount Elizabeth Secondary School in Kitimat to the nearby First Nations community of Kitimaat village.

David Suderman, a spokesperson for the B.C. Ambulance Service, said the bus was travelling on "particularly windy" road when it went off its path.

RCMP have not yet released any information about the accident.

The injured were taken initially to hospital in Kitimat.

The badly injured boy was later transferred to a hospital in Terrace, 60 kilometres to the north, Suderman said.

He said the remaining students were "walking wounded," with bumps, bruises and shoulder injuries.

source

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  12:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More on the story:

Opinion250 News, Canada - Kitimat RCMP, North Pacific Traffic Services and the North District Collision Reconstructionist out of Terrace RCMP continue to investigate the crash of a school bus yesterday afternoon that sent scores of teens to hospital.

Around 4:00 yesterday afternoon, a school bus, taking students from Mount Elizabeth Senior Secondary School to Kitimat Village started spinning, left the road, made a 3/4 roll before it came to rest against some trees. The crash happened about 2km south on the Kitimat Village Road.

The passengers were transported to Kitimat General Hospital where 43 were treated. Two were held overnight in Kitimat for observation and a third was taken to Terrace Hospital for further tests. All injuries are believed to be non life threatening. There were no fatalities.

Police say that at this point, alcohol and drugs do not appear to be a factor in the crash. The bus has been seized pending a mechanical inspection.

Police say it could be some time before they know the cause of the crash, but they would like to hear from anyone who may have has witnessed the crash.

source

Go to Top of Page

Anonymous

1 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  10:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anonymous's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am one of the students who were in this crash. I have to say a lot more than 3 people were seriously injured. me being one of them. It's sad the whole story wasn't allowed to be known. That day was not rainy, windy and there was no snow. Lets just say i don't blame the BUS. Yes, students were walking wounded. But the wounds were deeper than any one could know. I suffered a concussion among other injuries. I was so out of it I had no idea my collar bone had been severely fractured and almost poking through my skin. It was a horrible day that I will remember every year I am alive. It pains me just to write this. I have no idea who goes on this website. But I just want people to know the story. and not just the outlines. Every one keeps telling me the bus didn't make more than half a roll over. I strongly disagree. How would any body else know? I was in it! I'm pretty sure I'm aware of how many cycles I went through of being crushed to the point of breaking. I hope justice is brought to the bastard who crashed us. I hope karma gets him. He got out of this "accident" with out a scratch. I don't understand why people don't put seat-belts in those death on wheels. The officer tried to explain it to me. But still, it made no sense. he told me because students may wear them funny and get injured more than they might have. MIGHT. how about putting your foot down and actually making students safer? Parents pay to have their children brought to and from school safely. they're not expecting to have a phone call home saying their child was in a terrible bus accident . But what ever. Keep them in danger with out a seat belt. It may save lives but nobody cares.
So to any one who will bother to read my comment. thank you .

FROM SEVERELY CRUSHED EX-SCHOOL BUS PASSENGER.
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  12:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't understand why people don't put seat-belts in those death on wheels.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion that school buses need seat belts and you obviously have a valid cause for thinking that (which I'm deeply sorry to hear about), but calling school buses "death on wheels" is not going to go over well on this forum.

I hope you don't have any lasting health issues.

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 04/23/2011 07:01:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  1:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Please clarify: Did another driver hit the bus and cause it to craxh?

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  1:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anonymous, specific to your comment, "death on wheels," concerning the lack of seat belts on school buses is consistent with what industry research for belts have declared. Your opinion is not alone and it is also appreciated that you presented some details the press failed to do, also not uncommon for the press to miss-report some details.

Your articulate work, with a bit of cleanup (vulgar language), ought to be sent in a letter to the press. You have the tenacity, now go ahead and use it to promote a necessary safety device installed on school buses.

It might interest you to know that when Laidlaw sold out their school bus division and also sold Greyhound, which was then purchased from Laidlaw by FirstGroup in 2007, FirstGroup began installing seat belts on the Greyhound buses:

WE WON'T JUST GET YOU THERE
WE'LL GET YOU THERE SAFELY

The new Greyhound has been redesigned to ensure the safest ride for our passengers, from large adults to small infants. We've voluntarily equipped each seat with a comfortable three-point safety harness with shoulder-height adjusters. Plus, our new LATCH system can fasten your child's car seat as easily and securely to your seat as you can in your own car. ~ Greyhound Promotion

"Through their relationship with First Group, SafeGuard met with engineers at Greyhound, who wanted to know more about their school bus seating system and the potential for the technology to be used in motorcoaches. That partnership ushered in an entirely new set of challenges that started SafeGuard's safety development protocol." ~ Metro Magazine, Greyhound Leads the Way by Equipping Fleet with Seat Belts, June 2009.

It's long time past that children riding school buses are also provided the same protection. (jk)

Stop Violence on the school buses!
Stop bullying and other violence - Complete with excellent video! According to the American Public Health Association, the school bus is the second most common place for bullying to occur (the first is on the playground). This Fast Track slide presentation can help stop bullying on the school buses. Includes class handouts. Free to use in self-study, for class training, and for presentation to the school board. Click Here for Link (See Post # 14)

Stopping Violence on School Buses: Not an Easy Task but One that Can be Accomplished - Click here for source.

Edited by - JK on 04/24/2011 2:52:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

avs9ersfan

2 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  7:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit avs9ersfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Thomas EF

quote:
I don't understand why people don't put seat-belts in those death on wheels.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion that school buses need seat belts and you obviously have a valid cause for thinking that (which I'm deeply sorry to hear about), but calling school buses "death on wheels" is not going to go over well on this forum.

I hope you don't have any lasting health issues.

Go to Top of Page

avs9ersfan

2 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  8:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit avs9ersfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as a parent of two of these students and an uncle,and cousin to alot of the students i feel it necessary to post my comment on school bus safety...our students in this small village have to be transported to and from school in a bus on a narrow/windy road with a speed limit of 50 km/hr.and slow to 30 km./hr.before the point of the 'accident'which i believe was not the case,i think the driver was going way too fast for the road,and there were a few extra students coming home,as there was an event supposed to happen,on reserve,that evening.he was driving too fast and then lost control heading down the road,then back up along a curvy part of the road,alot of our kids could have lost their lives and we as an already small first nations village would have lost a generation of our people.this road is 11 km and very badly kept during the winter months,as stated ,the roads weren't wet as reported,and the driver basically got off with a slap on the wrist,i was told 'he was sort of new to the job' which should have made him even more cautious on our road and i do believe that seatbelts should be mandatory on buses that are driven on a highway or anything over 3 kms.and drivers should be screened properly,my kids will be scarred for life(one literally as well as emotionally)because of this 'minor accident' as was described on the media reports and alot of our kids had seperated shoulders,my daughter had a broken collarbone and was concussed as well as cuts and bruises,my son hit his head and had a slight concussion as well as cuts to his head,and alot more happened than 'minor injuries'!!!
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  11:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
avs9ersfan, thank you so much for presenting your thoughts. So many parents fail to do so, sign gag-orders and such during the settlement phase leaving their community and nation blind to the realities.

To speak up against what can seem false reporting in the press concerning both this issue and also the necessity of seat belts on the school buses is a big step in moving districts to install safety restraints. Very sorry your child's bus was not equipped with an adequate safety device for the kids. I'd accept even lap belts, since these devices have been proven to be a great help on big school buses, sometimes more injuries (bruising), but not the catastrophic injuries those against belts promote.

After a few years study I switched to favoring the devices on school buses over a decade ago, was attacked with a vengeance in this and other forums. Not so much these days as the devices have proven themselves with many hundreds of school districts installing these safety devices on their school buses without a state or federal mandate. School districts in states using belts but not mandated include Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma and Vermont.

About the only way belts are going to be installed on school buses in some communities or in their state (or providence) is for parents and especially the kids join with the medical professions and overwhelm the lobbyists promoting against these devices.

I would hope that you carry your thoughts to the school board, the press and the legislature. (jk)

Here is an organization that may be of help: National Coalition for School Bus Safety.

Stop Violence on the school buses!
Stop bullying and other violence - Complete with excellent video! According to the American Public Health Association, the school bus is the second most common place for bullying to occur (the first is on the playground). This Fast Track slide presentation can help stop bullying on the school buses. Includes class handouts. Free to use in self-study, for class training, and for presentation to the school board. Click Here for Link (See Post # 14)

Stopping Violence on School Buses: Not an Easy Task but One that Can be Accomplished - Click here for source.

Edited by - JK on 05/28/2011 1:05:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000