New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  5:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oct 12, 2006 - KUTV - ALBERTON, MT - A Montana high school has canceled the remainder of its football season, after a hazing incident in which a boy was taped to the ceiling of a school bus during a football road trip, while school officials were present. The boy's parents are now considering legal action against the school.

full story

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  8:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nine Alberton football players punished in alleged hazing

Great Falls Tribune, MT - ALBERTON — Three Alberton High School football players have been suspended from school following an alleged hazing incident last Friday, Mineral County Attorney Shaun Donovan.

Another six were given “in-school suspension,” meaning they can come to classes but are not allowed to participate in extracurricular activities such as sports.

The final two games of the Panthers’ football season were canceled Monday after school officials learned a player had been taped to an interior luggage rack of a school bus and harassed by other players.

The incident happened on the team’s way home from a Class C varsity football game in Noxon.

Coach Art Walsh and an assistant were on the bus, along with the bus driver, and all three apparently were unaware of the alleged hazing. School officials learned of the incident the following week, when the parents of a girl who had a camera on the bus brought the images to the attention of trustees.

full story

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  04:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can hoist a kid up there (apparently not against his will), and strap him to overhead racks and nobody notices? Even though I'm sure it was dark outside...there's still some light shining inside.

Something smells funny here.
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  2:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My question is why are criminal charges not being brought upon these students AND the officials present? It dosen't make sense that this happened without anyone's knowledge? Something is fishy here! Yes, the students should be suspended and I feel also that charges should be filed. What is a vacation from school going to teach these students? NOTHING! I have driven my share of sporting events in my 12 years, and believe you me, when you have young coaches and assistant coaches on the bus, that dosent at all mean students are going to behave. Most of the time, its just the oposite. Oh well, just my opinion on the matter, thats all.
Go to Top of Page

hastings

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  09:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit hastings's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think we've seen enough of this kind of stuff to know that the "victim" probably was not fighting back to much. I have been on enough buses to know you can't tape someone to a luggage rack and no one notices. This reminds me of the old saying- "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt".

Matt Hastingshttp://www.michiganbusparts.com/
Go to Top of Page

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  2:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
trying to picture how this was done. The "victim" had to have been a willing part in this event, how else could he have been held up there long enough to attach enough tape to hold him there? I agree, there has to be more to this story than is being told.
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  3:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coolbusdriver

trying to picture how this was done. The "victim" had to have been a willing part in this event, how else could he have been held up there long enough to attach enough tape to hold him there? I agree, there has to be more to this story than is being told.

I agree.

And as for the coach and assistant coach not aware of what was happening, that brings up my next point. Those of you that do extra trips such as these, where do the coaches, teachers, etc. sit (if there are more than one)? It always bothers me when there are two or more adults, and they all sit up FRONT together and seem to be completely unaware of what's going on in the back of the bus. I have taken one of our football teams to games a few times, and the coach ALWAYS sits in the very back seat, and they're one of the best groups I have ever taken anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  7:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hazing and Athletics
Although hazing has often been thought to exist primarily in fraternities and sororities, a 1999 study by Alfred University and the NCAA found that approximately 80% of college athletes had been subjected to some form of hazing. Half were required to participate in drinking contests or alcohol related initiations while two thirds were subjected to humiliating hazing. Additionally, much of the reported hazing in high schools occurs during initiations related to athletic teams with many problems arising during pre-season sports camps. Some of the recent high profile hazing incidents in the news have involved brutal initiations in high school sports. Hazing also occurs among professional sports teams as documented in numerous news media accounts.

Despite widespread reports of hazing in sport, many coaches and athletic directors did not identify hazing as a problem on their teams (according to the Alfred/NCAA study). However, many educational institutions and associations are seriously addressing the problem of hazing and athletes. Johnson and Holman’s (2004) edited collection provides insightful perspectives about sports initiations and hazing. Several chapters address positive efforts being made by coaches and athletics administrators to curb harmful hazing. The Report of the President’s Committee on the Prevention of Hazing in Intercollegiate Sports at The University of Vermont is another informative resource about hazing and college sports. The NCAA and the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) are making hazing a priority issue for their associations.

Much education is still needed to eliminate harmful hazing in athletics. Something on which most educators, coaches and advocates agree is the best way to end hazing is to begin by sending a clear anti-hazing message. Then, implement a strong anti-hazing policy, communicate it clearly, and enforce it when incidents occur.

Hank Nuwer
Why NCAA Faculty Reps Should Loudly Ban Hazing: A Friendly Nudge
Opinion Guest Column
Reprinted with Permission of author from Oct. 20 NCAA News

Hazed and Confused-Changing the Varsity Initiation Culture
A video resource on hazing and sports
http://www.stophazing.org/athletic_hazing/index.htm

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 10/17/2006 7:18:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  7:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myth #5: If someone agrees to participate in an activity, it can't be considered hazing.

Fact: In states that have laws against hazing consent of the victim can't be used as a defense in a civil suit. This is because even if someone agrees to participate in a potentially hazardous action it may not be true consent when considering the peer pressure and desire to belong to the group.
http://www.stophazing.org/mythsandfacts.html

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 10/17/2006 7:27:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  07:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
80AmtranRE4 Posted:
Myth #5: If someone agrees to participate in an activity, it can't be considered hazing.

Fact: In states that have laws against hazing consent of the victim can't be used as a defense in a civil suit. This is because even if someone agrees to participate in a potentially hazardous action it may not be true consent when considering the peer pressure and desire to belong to the group.

I never considered hazing, but you and 80AmtranRE4 have a good point. I have heard some about hazing, not a nice thing to do to anyone. Yes , someone can still be the victim even if they consent, there is so much pressure to conform and fit in.(especially when you are the new kid on the block).
Thanks for the links on this subject.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  1:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coolbusdriver

quote:
80AmtranRE4 Posted:

I never considered hazing, but you and 80AmtranRE4 have a good point. I have heard some about hazing, not a nice thing to do to anyone. Yes , someone can still be the victim even if they consent, there is so much pressure to conform and fit in.(especially when you are the new kid on the block).
Thanks for the links on this subject.

no problem coolbusdriver...It's too bad that no one noticed what was going on during the school bus trip.

Adults are supposed to keep kids safe. I think it should be a requirement that a coach sits in the back as well as the front (when there are two or more), or at least in the middle.

One thing that I found
Is that the prominent schools seem to have more issues with disrepect while the inner urban school systems seem to keep an extra eye on the kids, making sure they don't pull fast ones like that.

I'd rather drive the so called "troubled kids" on football games along with their coaches vs. the so called "good kids".

(From my own experience) in most cases, not all.

Go to Top of Page

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  09:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Last weekend our Drivers association (AAPT) had their annual meeting and one of mthe general session workshops was on Bullying and Hazing. It was very good and the Prosecuting County attorney had some very disturbing facts about the subject. More hazing and bullying incidents in Arizona are being caused by Girls than Boys and most of the incidents that are caused by Boys are sexual in nature. I wont go into it but she was very graphic about the cases she has already had this year about some High School football players at 2 different schools and what they did to some incoming freshman.Its amazing what these kids are up to these days. Our conference also had a general session on Homeland security and terrorists using school buses for their unsavory activities. We even got to pre-trip buses to look for bombs that the Army munitions people had placed on the buses. Very informative weekend. Thanks, Armando Cuellar, Madison Elem S.D. #38, Phoenix Arizona.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000