Enter Forum: Management/Operations
 Parents trying to sue my bus company.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joe_w

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  10:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit joe_w's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I,ve got a little problem, when I was taking kids home from school a car pulled out in front of me so I had to slam on the brakes real hard, just barely missed the car but as it turns out one of the kids on the bus just happend to be slashing a seat at that moment and the stop made his knife jackknife and slice his fingers big time! Their was blood all over so I let the kid out at a local police station to let them deal with it. Now the kids parents want to sue?! What do you think will happen? What do you think we should do?
Thanks

misty

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  11:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need more info...

Why are the parents suing? Because of the cut hand or because you let the student out at the police station? Has the student been in trouble on the bus before? Is it documented? How was it handled? What is your districts policy on taking students to the police station? What was the outcome of this particular incident?

ps. sounds like you caught at least one of your slashers...or did he try to blame his seatmate??? (wouldn't put it past 'em!)
Go to Top of Page

joe_w

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  1:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit joe_w's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Misty,
I believe the parents are suing because of the cut hand. All this time I thought this was the kid or a kid who has been doing it but I was never able to prove it. To my knowledge our policy does not say we can't bring kids to the police station.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  1:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uhh... come on, I don't believe that one bit. If you had a kid on the bus who cut himself, and was bleeding you park that bus, and call for medical assistance. That is common sense. Why would you drop the kid off at a police station? That's so ridiculous. I smell BS.

Go to Top of Page

joe_w

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  2:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit joe_w's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Richard,

Your right, calling for medical assistance is the right thing to do, it just so happens that the next parking lot on the right side that I could park was a police station, there happend to be a helpful officer outside who called someone (don't know who) and then led the kid off the bus. I left shortly after the kid got off the bus.
Go to Top of Page

misty

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  5:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming they are suing for the cut hand, how do they get around the fact that their child had a weapon on the bus?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  5:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say that's a smart move stopping at the police station. It seems that it was right there. Police officers are trained in basic first aid and they can also call for further assistance from paramedics in a heartbeat.

If the parents are suing because of cut hand, they shouldn't bother. Their kid is at fault for the cut. He had a knife (which is not allowed on the school bus), he was vandalising school property, etc.

I don't see any reason for the bus driver to be at fault. They reacted as would anyone who has a car cut them off. And you never can tell when a stupid motorist will cut you off.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  6:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The parents are suing because they think they can. Probably have a sleazy lawyer helping deny the child's kindly knife from ancient family member, a family heirloom for the purpose of show and tell at school. Their child would never cut a seat and to suggest the child would do so or violate any law simply demonstrates your bias and attempt to blame their child for the vandalizing on the bus. Unfortunately, you do need an attorney to help wipe all that crap off the map. And your attorney may find it useful to then counter sue that parent. Keep your mouth shut and let a competent attorney do the talking. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Hostage Takeover, bus fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 10/05/2006 6:25:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

NewBee Driver

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  6:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a burgler can sue for getting injured while trying to rob someones home then why can't parents sue when there perfect little S**t head, sorry I mean ANGEL cuts them self while vandilizing property, sounds like they have a great case. Isn't it great to live in a society where you never have to be responcible for anything u do.

Driving Seattle To School - And Loving It!!
Go to Top of Page

misty

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  04:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

Keep your mouth shut and let a competent attorney do the talking. (jk)

Always good advice! You know, they could possibly use info from your posts here against you...
Go to Top of Page

joe_w

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  2:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit joe_w's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice and comments everyone. Hopefully I will not have to worry about this, maybe it's best I don't even think about it. Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000