School Activity Trips...Driver requirements
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  11:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A question about school activity trips: School activity trips are considered extracurricular; as compared with home to school transportation. Do you require activity drivers to possess a school bus drivers license? (The S endorsement on a CDL).
I know each state may be different.

hastings

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  12:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hastings's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would think no matter what state you live in that you need the proper liscense to drive a bus. Especially if your carrying students or anyone else for that matter

Matt Hastingshttp://www.michiganbusparts.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  2:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree... I thought it was fed law that if you're driving a school bus with passengers you had to have the S and P endorsements.
Go to Top of Page

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  3:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses so far. So...at your location...is there a different requirement if the school bus is covered over with a charter sign? Or as with the newer Bluebirds, the signs changed to charter?
Is the distinction as to whether it is "school" determined by the passengers or the type of vehicle?
Bottom line...Can someone with a CDL and passenger endorsement (no S license) drive a school activity trip in a yellow school bus with a charter sign?
(SCHOOL BUS replaced with CHARTER)
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  6:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here, all* trips are done in regular school buses (marked school bus) by our regular drivers, who all have Class B CDLs w/PS. Due to scheduling problems (trip wants to leave before regular runs are complete) we also have a number of teachers/coaches/mechanics/etc that have completed the training that all of us take (and have CDL Bs w/PS) that drive those trips. Often they just do the take over....and a regular driver picks them up.

*However, they seem to be cutting way back on the longer distance trips we do....chartered motor coaches lined up at our schools is a common sight. Here, an activity (sports team, etc) pays for their transportation...so maybe the motor coach operators are competitive in price with "us"...plus they get to ride in a LOT nicer bus.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  06:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Massachusetts I believe that if you are driving a yellow school bus and driving an activity trip you must have all of the requirments that a regular school bus driver has, such as CDL, S, etc.

The school bus that I am assigned, has a plate that says BUS on it, along with two stickers that say DTE and IFTA? I think. I usually keep the SCHOOL BUS tag up, unless I am carrying a non contracted charter.

If they are school children from a contracted school with the company, I believe the SCHOOL BUS sign can stay.

If you are carrying adults, or a non contracted group, it must change to CHARTER, or if you are traveling out of state.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 09/30/2006 06:30:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  07:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For all school related trips with the exception of longer overnight trips and trips with less than 15 passengers, a school bus is required.

Less than 15 passengers, group uses on of our activity buses- painted white. No special license is required but we do place anyone who wishes to drive one under: Training, same background as bus driver (criminal and driving record check), drug screening, annual retraining, and evaluations.

Overnight trips- We charter the bus for the school and require site visitations, reports from the charter company on staff training, insurance, maintenance logs, etc... We do this since we do not pull driver's from their route to do trips.

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  12:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In CT, the S is required for home-to-school transportation using 8-way lights. If you have a V endorsement (everything below school bus, including School Transportation Vehicle, activity bus, motor bus, livery, taxi) you can do school trips in a yellow school bus.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  12:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In NY, if you are using a school bus to transport school-age, or mentally disabled people you need to have an "S" endorsement, as well as the "P" endorsement.

If you are using a motorcoach, or another type of commercial bus, you just need a "P" endorsement.

Go to Top of Page

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  3:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bus724...what exactly is a V license?
Go to Top of Page

PCW

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  9:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Send PCW an AOL message  Send PCW a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In CA, you must have a CDL with an S and P endorsment (issued by the DMV), school bus certificate (issued the California Highway Patrol) and a valid medical certificate (issed by the CHP or other other approved facility). Will all of these you are premitted to drive a school or SPAB bus on any SPAB (school pupil activity bus) trip regardless if it's home to school or extra curricular. I've never seen a dedicated "activity" type bus that is used in lieu of a yellow school bus for extra curricular trips however I know carriers in my area like Laidlaw and Durham have them. If a yellow school bus is used for the purpose of transportoting passengers no affiliated with any public school, the red warning lights must be covered up and the word "school" atop the bus must be covered so it reads just bus. The reason for such is that the bus allocated for the appropriate type of trip it's on. For example, if we use a school bus to pickup at a public or private school (grades k-12) no changed must be made to the bus. If we pickup a group from a local YMCA in a yellow school bus, signs and lights must be covered.

Our motorcoaches are a bit different. Upon certification from the CHP, that bus must be registered as a SPAB bus so that it may be used on SPAB trips. If that bus is just registered as a commercial passenger bus, it is now in non-compliance with the law to transport school pupils. The driver must also be certified accordingly as well.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  4:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salaskie

Bus724...what exactly is a V license?

V actually falls under the category of restriction, not endorsement, and it restricts you to driving an activity vehicle or a taxi/livery vehicle.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  07:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It used to be a restriction, but they changed it January 06. These are the endorsements/restrictions, from DMV's website:

Endorsements:

M = Motorcycle
H = Hazardous Material
N = Tank Vehicles
X = Hazardous Material and Tank Endorsements Combined
T = Double/Triple
P = Passenger
S = School Bus, includes Student Trans Vehs, Activity Vehs, Taxi, Livery, Service Bus and Motor Coach
V = Student Transportation Vehicles, includes Activity Vehs, Taxi, Livery, Service Bus and Motor Coach
A = Activity Vehicles, includes Taxi, Livery, Service Bus and Motor Coach
F = Taxi, Livery, Service Bus, Motor Coach
Q = Fire Apparatus

Restrictions:

B = Corrective Lenses
C = Mechanical Aid
D = Prosthetic Aid
E = Automatic Transmission
F = Outside Mirror
G = Limited to Daylight Driving Only
K = CDL Intrastate Only
L = Limited to Vehicles Without Air Brakes
R = No Limited Access Roads
U = Hearing Aid Required
W = Medical Waiver Required
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000