Vision - Am I The Only One Who Noticed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  5:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know that you are going to think that I am about to preach to the choir, but here goes anyway!

I was watching the Blue Bird Vision video on their web site, and I noticed something unsafe.

Go watch the video. At the beginning you will see an unsafe practice, and also at the end.

See if you notice, and I will come back later and let you know what I saw.

Nothing bad on Blue Bird's part, but when you are a school bus driver, you tend to notice things.

Video Here http://www.blue-bird.com/products/school/vision.php

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  5:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I dont get it

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  6:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Something about the steering technique? Hand-over-hand's a no-no, at least where I drive...
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  6:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In the beginning, the driver does not perform the student crossing correctly.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  6:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I'm spotting anything?
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  6:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Driver doesn't use the ambers at the end, just the reds... haha. Although gotta remember, this is a cheesy promo video, so it doesn't matter!

Go to Top of Page

Bus9709
Top Member

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  6:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus9709's Homepage  Click to see Bus9709's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard

...Although gotta remember, this is a cheesy promo video, so it doesn't matter!

LOL! That's true. And I also noticed the driver not using the ambers.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  7:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm...how does one skip the ambers? Only way I can think of is opening the door before hitting the traffic light switch...
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  8:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know in our district and i'm sure many others, the pupil has to wait for the signal of the driver to approach the bus whether crossing the street or on the same side as the entrance door.

I don't think i saw the promo driver do that.

But of course, its just a promo!

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  8:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
1. Driver does not make sure students wait in front of the bus before being signaled to cross the street. Either that, the students didn't listen.

2. The driver uses "hand-over-hand" to steer the bus, rather than the "push-and-pull" method.

3. Ambers were not used before making a stop.
Go to Top of Page

NewBee Driver

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  8:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in many states a "red overide" switch is required, which allows you to activate the red lights without the use of the door or activating the ambers. It is how we are trained to activate the red. that way the door remains closed until traffic is fully stoped. I have driven in another state where it was not availible and i hated it. i want my door closed until i see that cars are not going anywere.

Driving Seattle To School - And Loving It!!

Edited by - NewBee Driver on 08/08/2006 8:34:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  8:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NewBee Driver

in many states a "red overide" switch is required, which allows you to activate the red lights without the use of the door or activating the ambers.

Yeah, our units have them and it is designated as an emergency amber switch.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  08:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He did not let kids off near the curb, but right in the middle of the parking lot?

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  08:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ummm...how does one skip the ambers?

There seems to be some confusion about the way warning lights operate, so let me see if I can clarify...

There are two modes on every electronic flasher: Sequential, and Non-Sequential.

In Sequential mode, the amber lights must flash before the reds during normal operation; open the door without the ambers on and the reds stay off. With the door open, press the amber switch, and the reds will start to flash. An optional red override will bypass this and turn the reds on immediately.

In Non-Sequential mode, the reds will activate any time the door is open (provided the master switch is on). Period. It doesn't matter if the ambers are turned on or not, open the door and the reds flash. An override switch may also be provided, but is only necessary with air/electric door.

Different state specs dictate which mode must be used on buses in that state.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  09:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

1. Driver does not make sure students wait in front of the bus before being signaled to cross the street. Either that, the students didn't listen.

2. The driver uses "hand-over-hand" to steer the bus, rather than the "push-and-pull" method.

3. Ambers were not used before making a stop.

Why is the hand-over-hand a no-no? A friend of mine who will be training me for my Ohio CDL told me its always hand over hand... Maybe it's an Ohio thing??? Just wondering. Plus, what is the "push-and-pull"? Thanks!

Greg
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  09:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasfan89

Why is the hand-over-hand a no-no? A friend of mine who will be training me for my Ohio CDL told me its always hand over hand... Maybe it's an Ohio thing??? Just wondering. Plus, what is the "push-and-pull"? Thanks!

It might be just a state specific thing. Here in CT, you are not allowed to have either hand cross the center of the wheel, so you have to kind of push-pull-push-pull-push-pull...it seems hard at first if you're used to hand-over-hand, but you get used to it. The technique's also called the "shuffle".

As for why they do this? I don't really know, maybe they're worried you'll hurt your wrist by getting your arms tangled up together or something.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  10:41:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It might be just a state specific thing. Here in CT, you are not allowed to have either hand cross the center of the wheel, so you have to kind of push-pull-push-pull-push-pull...it seems hard at first if you're used to hand-over-hand, but you get used to it. The technique's also called the "shuffle".

MA commercial vehicle drivers (including school bus drivers) are also required to use the "push-pull" method when driving, as Phil described. I thought this was a federal requirement, but apparently it's not!

quote:
As for why they do this? I don't really know, maybe they're worried you'll hurt your wrist by getting your arms tangled up together or something.

The reason for the "push-pull" steering method is not necessarily to prevent wrist pain. The main reason for the "push-pull" steering method is so your arms don't get tangled up when you are making regular turns or making a sudden/emergency manuever when driving the bus.

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 08/09/2006 10:49:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  2:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here in MI, we get marked down on our driver's test if we use the push-pull technique. Hand-over-hand is a must.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  2:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

Here in MI, we get marked down on our driver's test if we use the push-pull technique. Hand-over-hand is a must.

I always thought it was just the fat old lady's that used the push-pull technique because they couldn't physically do hand over hand without straining themselves! I've always done hand over hand and I've never found myself tangled up.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  3:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hand over hand is how I was taught and tested on. Then you developed those bad habits in the old S-series Internationals with the 3 spoke wheels like resting your wrist on one of the spokes while travelling empty along a city street then all of a sudden bump the curb while the wrist is still in the wheel... ouch!

JC
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  4:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was trained for hand over hand, and that seems to be the general steering technique here in NY.

Personally, I find it easier to do hand over hand than to do the harlem shuffle.

Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  4:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK guys, a couple of you saw what I saw. I just thought it would make an interesting converation, and so far, it has. Like I said, its nothing bad on Blue Bird, or the video, but as I said, as a bus driver, you tend to notice things!

1. At the beginning of the video, when the students exited the bus,
they did not wait for the drivers signal, nor did they even check
traffic before crossing the street.

2. At the end, the students who were boarding from the door side of the
bus did not wait for the drivers signal to board or for the door to
open before starting toward the bus.

Both of these situations in REAL time would be concidered dangerous, and on my bus, a disciplinary infraction.

Anyway, just food for thought. As everyone said, its just a PROMO video, so nothing to get too upset over.

Hope I didn't upset or confuse anyone, 'cause Lord knows, a school bus driver has enough confusion at the beginning of the year as it is!

HAVE A GREAT SCHOOL YEAR EVERYONE!
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  5:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus724

quote:
Ummm...how does one skip the ambers?

There seems to be some confusion about the way warning lights operate, so let me see if I can clarify...

There are two modes on every electronic flasher: Sequential, and Non-Sequential.

In Sequential mode, the amber lights must flash before the reds during normal operation; open the door without the ambers on and the reds stay off. With the door open, press the amber switch, and the reds will start to flash. An optional red override will bypass this and turn the reds on immediately.

In Non-Sequential mode, the reds will activate any time the door is open (provided the master switch is on). Period. It doesn't matter if the ambers are turned on or not, open the door and the reds flash. An override switch may also be provided, but is only necessary with air/electric door.

Different state specs dictate which mode must be used on buses in that state.

Virginia is a sequential state then. I played with it today and the only way to skip the ambers is to hit the switch with the door alraedy open. The only only other traffic light controls we have are "override" or "master" which kill the traffics without closing the door. And the "interupt" switch which keeps the stop arm and crossing gate in while traffic lights are on.

It's definitely "hand over hand" steering here too. I don't understand that "push-pull" method....what about tight turns where you have to get those wheels cut QUICK. You'd have to slow down to an absolute crawl!
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  10:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, what on earth are you all talking about. I turn my wheel and the bus turns, that's all I care about. Push pull or hand over hand, I’m confused! look, turn, make sure it's safe, continue my turn, complete my Turn -. It's worked for the past five years.

about the sequential/non sequential system: 96 Amtran re: you had to activate the yellows first until the flashers blew and they replaced them with a different set up, then the red lights would come on even without putting the ambers on.

On the 97 Amtran re, the reds would come on without activating the ambers

on the 2000 Amtran re, same as the 96-

on all of the Thomas buses, the red lights come on even if you don't activate your yellows

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 08/09/2006 10:18:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  10:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
AmTran, that's how it's supposed to be in MA (and CT), the non-sequential flash-reds-whenever-door-opens system. If you had a bus that required the ambers be turned on first, it either had a faulty flasher or was installed incorrectly. (It's very easy to change on the flashers used today, you simply have to plug the door switch into a different pin.)
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  06:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The warning light system on SC buses are all set up the same:

Activate amber warning lights by pressing a momentary toggle switch located on the instrument panel. Amber lights flash outside, front and back as well as pilot light on the instrument panel.

Open the door, the amber lights cancel and the red lights, stop arm, and crossing arm activiate.

Close the door, and everything cancels with the exception to the 2001+ model buses where the red lights, stop arm, & crossing arm stay active until the child safety alarm (CSA) completes its cycle.

We have an over ride switch which will active the red lights, stop arm, and crossing arm. However, its to be used ONLY if the amber warning lights malfunction. Some drivers use the overide in cold weather to keep from having to open the door while waiting on students. Thats a no no, but some still do it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000