Operations Employee's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  11:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was wandering, what do you think about your Operations Manager, Maintainaince Manager, Mechanics, Dispatchers, Supervisors, Administrative Assistants, and call takers?

Do you like anybody/dislike anyone in your Operations office?
I appreciate, and like the Dispatcher because she always does all of her work properly, and always advises the drivers with proper judgement.

I'm not crazy about some of the mechanics much because a few are just lazy, and take their time with everything. The supervisor is a nice man, although he doesn't always remember to keep up with driver's who recieve complaints - I often have to remind him.

I'm happy with the Administrative Assistants - they all work efficiently, and handle things well.

Edited by - OperationsM on 07/30/2006 5:15:44 PM

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  6:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a topic that could get some of us in trouble

Our coordinator is top notch. In the 6 years she has been with us she has learned a lot of the kids and streets and handles things quite well considering she is all by herself in the office for the whole day.

Our mechanic staff is the best. We are at 100% compliance with DOT which is not easy to do given the age of our buses. When we had a dirt parking lot and no garage if you said, "Paul my ABS light is on..." He would grab an old seat cover and throw it down on the ground and crawl under the bus. No complaints that is was below freezing and the bus was dripping slush on him. He's wonderful!

Our mechanic's assistant is also first rate. He doesn't tell you how ignorant you are when you have a question. Although sometimes he gets a little gleam in his eye...

HEY LOOKIT THAT 1500 POSTS!!!

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!

Edited by - mlkdrives41 on 07/27/2006 6:49:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  8:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Having a great staff is an essential key component to having a successful, efficient transportation system.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  9:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe there is no room for disliking this one or that one in this occupation openly. It's not healthy and it makes for a unpleasant work environment.

Why work against your co-workers when we are all working to accomplish the same goal= to safely transport those who trust us.

You might think someone is a grumpy a##, try becoming their friend, you might learn a thing or two from them. If you perceive someone as being a certain way (lazy, etc), then you are sure not to like them.

Some lady I work with who I waive to never waives back, I still waive to her, do I care that she doesn't waive? Not really, although It would be nice if she waived back....But I keep on waiving! I did my part...

it's not my position to place judgment on anyone, that's for the power's higher up.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 07/27/2006 9:27:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  11:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The reason I say lazy is because of some problems the person causes and other issues. But I wont go into the specifics, but I'm not calling him lazy for no reason. It's because of work related problems.

Yes, having a good staff is important. Like I said before, the Dispatcher is my favorite person in the office because she always goes beyond what she is required to do.

Hotel's Ford Girardin

Edited by - OperationsM on 07/28/2006 11:04:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  12:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our transportation staff is excellent I couldn't ask for a better supervisor, and contractor. I actually work in the transportation office and I really like what our supervisor has done he has put in alot of good policies to help our transportation department continue to be excellent with the hard challenges we are facing now days. He is also excellent working with drivers who have discpline issues on their buses some who move here from out of state are very surprised how much support he gives when problems occur and he is not scared to ride the bus when needed. Our secretary is also great she does the best job on scheduling field trips and any other transportation responsibility.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  2:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OperationsM

The reason I say lazy is because of some problems the person causes and other issues. But I wont go into the specifics, but I'm not calling him lazy for no reason. It's because of work related problems.

Yes, having a good staff is important. Like I said before, the Dispatcher is my favorite person in the office because she always goes beyond what she is required to do.

Does Atlantic provide E.Assistance Programs? Maybe the person can be nicely approaced and referred to a therapist at the companies expense?

Many companies focus on HR and retention and such benefits as EAP; especially in this kind of industry.
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  5:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THERAPIST! HA! He doesn't need a therapist, he's just not the best type of worker! Atlantic Express has procedures when issues come up, but a main problem Atlantic Express has is problems finding employees. I don't have such problems where I would have to seek extra help.

I love the company as a whole, and I LOVE my job. I enjoy all the action that takes place everyday, dealing with the other workers who are excellent. But when I get calls complaining that the bus driver is letting kids off in the middle of the street, and I talk to him, and two weeks later he does the samething, it becomes a problem.

But anyways, the Operations is going strong. Of course occasional problems arise, but the majority of the office staff give 160%!

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  12:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

THERAPIST! HA! He doesn't need a therapist, he's just not the best type of worker! Atlantic Express has procedures when issues come up, but a main problem Atlantic Express has is problems finding employees. I don't have such problems where I would have to seek extra help.

I love the company as a whole, and I LOVE my job. I enjoy all the action that takes place everyday, dealing with the other workers who are excellent. But when I get calls complaining that the bus driver is letting kids off in the middle of the street, and I talk to him, and two weeks later he does the samething, it becomes a problem.

But anyways, the Operations is going strong. Of course occasional problems arise, but the majority of the office staff give 160%!

yeah, I know what you mean about those kind of employees. (Or co-workers in my case) A little bit off-subject, just remembering from when I worked at Laidlaw. There was one employee who I can probably compare to the type of person you are talking about. He would never follow directions, everything was always his way. His bus was always discusting.

Another instance: (Different story)- When Laidlaw dominated this area: The branch I worked at employed about 50, the branch in the city employed (I'm not sure) but had about 200 buses (they were union, we weren't). They had this witch supervisor. She would talk down to many of the employees who would take her crap (I mean she would swear at them as in "What the F do you think you are doing"...Right in front of me (usually to people who were to scared to speak up or spoke in broken language). She would NEVER say that to me. First because I did not work at that terminal, and second, I would never take her kind of talk, and she knew it.

Sometimes it just sickened me how this Laidlaw (or should I say, ex-Laidlaw-because they don't carry the contract anymore) so-called professional supervisor treated some of her employees.

It's funny, I still remember the exact day, every word, who she said it to, and how rude she was to those drivers and what I wanted to say to her! (I was waiting for my bus to be repaired because we would bring our buses at the main branch for service).
The things I wanted to say to her! Like "Who the h### do you think you are!"

I think when Laidlaw left, she left too, I'm not sure though.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 07/29/2006 12:49:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  3:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never heard of a supervisor who would curse at the driver's like that! There are actually laws regarding issues like that - I'm not sure if it would apply to this though.

"Everything was always his way"

OH YEAH. There's one driver who has a brain the size of a rat. Cuts off cars, curses while driving, went through a ONE WAY STREET ONCE GOING THE OPPOSITE WAY YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO, lets kids off in the middle of the street, once made a turn and hit a garbuage can, and the garbuage can was under the bus for 5 blocks. He could've hit a person on the frekn side walk and wouldn't have known!

We would yell at him, and he would drive normally for one week, then go back to doing the samething.

I was able to get headquarters to yell at this bastard and now he drives ok since I remind him that red means stop every week and other rules.

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  6:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I never heard of a supervisor who would curse at the driver's like that! There are actually laws regarding issues like that - I'm not sure if it would apply to this though.

"Everything was always his way"

OH YEAH. There's one driver who has a brain the size of a rat. Cuts off cars, curses while driving, went through a ONE WAY STREET ONCE GOING THE OPPOSITE WAY YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO, lets kids off in the middle of the street, once made a turn and hit a garbuage can, and the garbuage can was under the bus for 5 blocks. He could've hit a person on the frekn side walk and wouldn't have known!

We would yell at him, and he would drive normally for one week, then go back to doing the samething.

I was able to get headquarters to yell at this bastard and now he drives ok since I remind him that red means stop every week and other rules.

Regarding the "so called" supervisor (she wasn't mine)- she had her ways. I don't want to say what I am going to say but I'm going to say it anyways. In some jobs, some people perceive people as being "stuck" in a job forever and some supervisors feel as if they can treat their employees like trash because of it. She was not talking to the person who "always had it his way", she would chose her victims wisely. Usually those were spoke broken English, those who were older, or those who would take her bull.

I think she was miserable herself so she had to make others miserable. I think she could be labeled a pure-bread bully, but Laidlaw allowed it. It is called workplace harassment, but the people she did it to, were too scared to say anything for fear of their jobs. Hate to say it but, what comes around goes around. I felt awful for the people she talked down to and when she left, I asked my "co-workers" (I guess you could call them that, we worked for the same company -Laidlaw- at the time, just different branches, why they took her sh$$, and they just shrugged their shoulders in embarrassment.

Things like that p' me off.-
The driver who drives down one-way roads- why isn't he retrained? Driving down a one way road is a serious violation; maybe he should drive a taxi cab instead.
Go to Top of Page

Tmac0384
Advanced Member

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  6:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tmac0384's Homepage  Send Tmac0384 an AOL message  Send Tmac0384 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
our transportation supervisor was arrested and a driver's husband was killed over the whole ordeal...but for me to say anymore would be outta place! but it involves LOTS of scandal, sex, and some low down dirty ignorant stuff! LMAO!!!

all i say is...let me supervise ONE week... and i'll change some stuff in that office!!

sometimes older is way better than new.

some photos of mine: http://community.webshots.com/user/Bus213
(it's a work in progress... tons of photos to come!)
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  7:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And this driver is STILL employed at your operation? It sounds like he should've been fired a long time ago.

Unbelieveable he still has a job.
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  07:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh believe me, I tried to get him fired but it wouldn't happen. Headquarters wanted to keep him and yell at him then see how it went.

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  07:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But I am going to try again since I have someone to replace him. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  07:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I would say the same thing as B Busguy. Driving down a one way and not understanding that a red light means stop, is a serious issue. The only thing I can think of is if this was an event such as: the light turned yellow and it was too hard for the bus to stop as it happens to most of us, sometimes it is safer to keep going. But if it is already a solid red, you don't go. I am not saying that you run a red, but you make a judgment call- if your bus can't safely stop when the light turns yellow because a) there is a vehicle on top of your bumper or b) it's a situation where the light turns yellow and you are already at the light and slamming on the brakes would cause more harm if you were going to stop –you have to use your own good judgment-. But at intersections, I always slow down just in case, whenever it is possible. (I treat lights as if they are going to turn red this way I will be prepared, and who is to say that no jerk is going to run the other red light)

About going down the one way- why would any driver do that? I guess the only reason maybe would be if the sign was missing? Some street signs around here are turned and facing the wrong way, making one street look as if the other street is a one way but in reality that street is a two way street and the other street is a one way. The Dept. of Pub. Works doesn't fix these signs for weeks because they have a shortage of staff (pink slips). I assume because of the Big Dig, I don't know. I do remember reading an article in the newspaper about the DPW and the delays they have in fixing things, but they can only do so much with the people they have. It just reminds me of the time about a month ago, street signs were missing in the entire neighborhood, it took them a month or longer to replace them, when they did, they put up the wrong street name signs, and it took almost a week to fix them to display the correct names.

I was subbing a route the other day that I have never subbed before and thankfully I had a monitor with me (btw it was a nice mini a/c bus ) and some of the street signs were turned, facing the wrong way, so she was able to guide me telling me where to go. But I did have to ask her if that was the one way street or was it that one! The one way sign was facing the wrong way. Maybe they should start painting arrows on the pavement instead of just using signs as they seem to be automatically turning (kids, wind) and all the vandalism to the signs.

But obviously, it seems like the driver you are talking about either needs to be retrained, nicely talked to and if that doesn't work, let go. Maybe a nice call over the summer before school starts and an evaluation would help? Is he familiar with all of the roads? Are all of the street signs correct? Good Luck OperationsM!
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  07:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Believe me 80Amtran, I'm not an idiot...lol Forget about being nice to him, the only words in his vocabular that he know are the F words and things like that. He tells everyone that since he was a garbuage man for 20 years, he can do what ever he wants.

I tried before to get him fired but it wouldn't happen. I'm going to try again, and it will probably go through since I have a subsitute that wants to become permanent.

See how much action goes on here? But believe me, I tried to get him fired - it's not me thats the problem.

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  07:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi OperationsM, sorry if you took my post the wrong way. I was not at all saying that you were the problem! When I posted my thread dated: Posted - 07/30/2006 : 07:43:11 AM

I did not see that you had posted the two before me -so I must have been typing while you were posting!

Yeah, I can only imagine all that happens in nYc! It's good to know that you want only the safest driving those school buses, and if he is the type that the only word that comes out of his mouth is the F word, maybe he does need a new job- or maybe a leave of absense for 6 months, I am not sure what AE offers. If he is swearing around the kids, I would have him fired within two minutes.
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  08:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh no, I wasn't offended by what you said don't worry.
Yeah, that guy is a real moron!

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  2:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
QUESTION FOR All school bus drivers.

You all know that the location where you pick up and drop off a child is very important, right? Since I'm in NYC, all driver's are told to let kids off EXACTLY at the intersection since the roads aren't always in the best condition, and severe congestion from cars.

Many of the drivers at the operations are letting kids off in the middle of the street. Here is the question - Do you all know that you cannot do that?
I know that is a strange question, but please respond. I remind and have meetings with the drivers all the time and some of them cannot understand this simple concept. Many do not understand that if someone falls and it wasn't at the designated bus stop, that it is our fault (We had problems like this)

Please post any comments regarding this issue.

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  5:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My outfit will "write you up" if you get caught making an unauthorized stop. Our designated stops can be anywhere...intersections or individual driveways in front of a kid's house.

I don't understand how they decide that stuff. One kid's designated stop might be his driveway.....and another kid on the same street gets dropped at an intersection a block or more PAST his driveway. I honestly don't understand why one driveway is different from another driveway on the same street! And if it's raining hard....I make unauthorized stops!
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  5:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You make unauthorized stops if it's raining! That's not a good idea because if the kid falls and hurts himself, and sues (believe it or not, these things happen) it would be YOUR fault and the school bus company.
I don't know what type of area you are in, but in Manhattan and you do that, that's a big no.

Thanks for replying IC.

Hotel's Ford Girardin

Edited by - OperationsM on 07/31/2006 5:49:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  6:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These streets are about as far removed from Manhattan as you can get! They are 25 mph residential streets without sidewalks. Most of them dead end...so about the only traffic is residents of the neighborhood. Yeah..if it's pouring, I won't drive past a kid's driveway and make him/her walk a block or two BACK to his house. Especially since other kids' designated stops ARE their driveways.

But, you're right...you can sue anybody for anything....that's what juries are for. It's also why I pay $600+ a year for a professional liability policy!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  6:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you all know that you cannot do that?

You can't make blanket statements like that , because stopping at intersections is illegal in most states. In Michigan, it's illegal unless approved by the transportation supervisor, so most often stops won't be made at intersections (it's never a good idea anyways since traffic can be confused about whether or not they have to be used - and at traffic signals, they don't need to stop at all). Now, I'm not criticizing your practice because you seem to have a valid reason for dropping where you do, and I realize that you should only drop where initially approved. However, I think we can trust those on this forum to be responsible human beings, and make exceptions using their best judgement. (And no, I don't mean to kill your question...just saying that what you said was "right" is actually considered "wrong" in most states.)

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  6:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, then, I could understand that. As long as your pulling up to the curb and not just stopping in the middle of the street. That makes sense. But in Manhattan, some of the drivers do that and when I talk to them, they go back doing the samething one week later. It really is difficult.

There are too many drivers at the operations who are retired people doing this to kill time, and got some cash. You know what happened once - this is not related to picking kids up... The bus driver and bus escort lost 7 or 9 of the kids on the bus.
I found them because I just ran out of the operations and was speeding my way to that area to find the kids.

How would you like to work where I am!? LOL, a lot of nuts!

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi ThomasFord. Hmm....well, straight forward, at where I am at, the drivers stop either at the intersection, or a SAFE location near a house where a car can't hit the student.

Responsile human beings? I never said anything about anyone being irresponsible. I said some of the drivers at where I work are not always the most responsible.

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  6:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't drive a car in NYC!

Once I saw an interview with the late Dale Earnhardt who was in NYC to get an award...they asked him how he liked driving in NYC, and he said Whoa..NO WAY I'm driving in NYC! LOL

We got a guy at my school that drove school buses in NYC for 25 years. I love hearing his tales of all the crazy stuff that goes on up there!
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  6:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LoL, so you know what I'm talking about! Now imagine having 75 school buses at the operation! Yup, New York City is hell for driving. The boroughs surrounding it are of course not as bad, but still not great. People are very rude in NYC but it's all right.

Do you remember any of your friends tales? Just curious to know. Some taxis in Manhattan go into the stores - accident. It happens about once every year. Kind of funny if you think about it, how often do you see a car going into a building?! (as long as no one is injured)

When I worked for the city transit, one supervisor made a joke with a bus driving saying accusing the driver of backing the bus up into a car! The drivers face was in shock because he didn't do that. But then we told him it was a joke!

Nice talking to you.

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000