Low pay for driving.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nell65

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  1:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have been researching driving again. I've had my license since 86. Stopped driving in 95 when my kids started school. I've been looking into driving with private contractors. I've got a bit more flexiblity with them in terms of driving times since I still have one in elementary school myself. The problem is that the jobs are all starting at the bottom. $8-10 a hour. What's up with that? I've got 9 years on a big bus. No tickets or points in over 22 years on my license. What gives? Is that how it is now to get back into driving? Starting out like I've never done it before? Figured it would be a way to make a bit more money than what I've got my degree in, but that's not much better than working retail for the pay around here.

I guess I'll hold out a bit longer to find something. I guess they figure you've forgotten everything or something, but I've never had to go backwards for pay before. Any suggestions?

Nell

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  2:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How about $6/hr? That's what we get paid.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  2:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$8-10 here in New York. That's rediculous. What contractor is paying that in this area? If I recall you are from Dutchess. Is that A&E? I'm in Dutchess as well, and I believe First Student is paying in the $15/hr range. Wappingers CSD pays very well too I was told.

Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  2:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before I started driving, I had assumed that the drivers who have been driving longer, made more money than the newwer drivers, but unfortunatly that's not the case around here either. I started driving back in August and I get the same pay rate as two of the bus drivers who drove me to school when I was a kid.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]

Edited by - buster133 on 04/09/2006 2:36:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  2:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I only know of the pay rate of one school in my area. They start around $9hr depends on experience. Some of the senior drivers are makeing $16hr

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  4:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My district pays more for prior school bus driving experience. Example: When I was in training (2 years ago) I was paid the then starting pay of $12.65 an hour....a "classmate" who I became good friends with had 8 years experience (in another Va. district) and they started him at $16.49. I'm at over $15 an hour now and my buddy is at a little over $20 an hour.

Prior experience doesn't get you out of any training.....he had to go the whole 4 weeks too.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  5:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's not uncommon for a company to start you at their standard starting wage even if you have driving experience elsewhere. Unless you have a history with that company you should expect to start at the bottom. I started driving a school bus last December, and had two years prior experience on big buses. I still started at $11.40 which is the standard starting pay for that company.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

Nell65

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  8:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard

$8-10 here in New York. That's rediculous. What contractor is paying that in this area? If I recall you are from Dutchess. Is that A&E? I'm in Dutchess as well, and I believe First Student is paying in the $15/hr range. Wappingers CSD pays very well too I was told.

I worked for WSCD and I'd never go back there again! It's where I got started and the drama is still going on there. And if the state has their way, they'll be auditing the place and I wouldn't want to be working there when that happens. I have more ethics that to subject myself to the garbage that goes on there ever again.

I've looked into a couple of others and even after a brief training again, I'll only be making what someone who's just gotten a license will make. That makes no sense. Why step backwards? Yes, I need to get back into it, but what other job makes you take a cut in pay if you change jobs with experience? Maybe that's why so many of the districts and contractors here are getting some of the bottom of the barrel people, they won't take the good ones and they'll hire ones that come with baggage so to speak.

Maybe it's time to put the degree into use and go into management. :)

Nell
Go to Top of Page

Nell65

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  8:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBInt.10

It's not uncommon for a company to start you at their standard starting wage even if you have driving experience elsewhere. Unless you have a history with that company you should expect to start at the bottom. I started driving a school bus last December, and had two years prior experience on big buses. I still started at $11.40 which is the standard starting pay for that company.

Not looking to get out of training-that's a given to get back into it. But it makes no sense to take a cut in pay when you've got more experience than Joe A that comes in off the street and needs to get a CDL still. I still am amazed that anyone would settle for starting all over again at a low pay. Would any of you transportation supervisiors settle for starting over again? Or anyone else in management? I guess I'll never understand this concept of not getting a fair shake of getting paid for years of experience. Probably why no one ever gets bonuses or merit raises for a job well done either. I think I should be able to negotiate my salary. Wouldn't you rather hire someone with experience with little training to get them going or pay to have them trained to just get their CDL? Maybe I shouldn't even consider going back into driving and fall back on my degree(that's what I've done while I've not been working). Maybe the industry is too changed to get back into and going in a direction I can't understand.

Nell
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000