Zaxby's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  6:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Since I said I was going to do this, I guess I had better keep my word.

There is a restarant chain here called Zaxby's. It is primarily a franchise setup, with each individual setting up some of the store policies.

Monday evening, after winning the baseball game in Hartwell, GA, the coach let one of the players choose where to eat. The young man chose Zaxby's. When I arrived at the counter, I informed the manager that I was the bus driver, and asked what they did for bus drivers. She replied that they did not do anything for bus drivers. If I had the choice I would have gathered up the team and gone next door to Sonic. However, I did not want to dissapoint the team, so I ordered. Fortunately, as I was preparing to pay, the coach told her to put it on his ticket.

I found the toll-free number and called the head office of Zaxby's and let them know how disappointed I was. I also told them that I would inform other bus drivers about the situation, hence this post. Hopefully, they will do the same as the Zaxby's in Lavonia, GA - change the policy to free meals for bus drivers.

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  7:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno...it seems like they would want to take care of bus drivers. So they'd maybe pick their joint over somebody else's joint.

However, I have seen restaurants post signs outside saying "BUSES WELCOME"...which leads me to believe that there exists restaurants where buses are NOT welcome. Maybe Zaxby's is such a place?
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  7:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That was nice of the coach to pay for your dinner.

IC makes a good point, a bus load of students is quite a bit of revenue in a short period of time, especially in the middle of the week. You would think they'd be more accomodating, including the free meal for the driver if the competition is doing the same thing.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  01:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with both. A bus full of any people can help a restaurant make some money in a short time.
Go to Top of Page

overbyja

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  09:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working in the fast food industry, I can tell you that our policy is that the drivers/coaches only get free meals if someone calls and tells us they're coming. Yes, a bus load of people does help the restaurants sales, but it also puts a lot of pressure on the employees if it comes unexpectedly. I'm sure you've all seen employees scrambling and freaking out as soon as you pull that bus into the lot. Just one simple phone call can make your visit a lot better and if they're prepared, you'll have faster service. I do understand that you might not always know where you're going to eat ahead of time, so that's why I, being the nice guy that I am, usually don't follow policy and give free meals either way, but you won't find that with all managers.

Go to Top of Page

DigitalGimpling
Advanced Member

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  09:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit DigitalGimpling's Homepage  Send DigitalGimpling an AOL message  Send DigitalGimpling an ICQ Message  Click to see DigitalGimpling's MSN Messenger address  Send DigitalGimpling a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with overbyja. Even a five-minute warning helps... my first job was a burger king. I've never really taken a busload to a fast food joint before, though. I took a load to a mexican buffet, once (The manager looked at me and said "YOU BROUGHT THIS HELL UPON US!" and then laughed and winked at me) and the teachers paid for my meal. Most of the time, though (I usually wind up with elementary school kids on field trips) I take them to Forsythe park for them to picnic. I don't think I'm SUPPOSED to park in the motorcoach spot... but I've had no problem, thus far.

I also used to work at subway, when an unexpected bus arrived. Anyone else notice that there is usually only one, maybe two people working in subway at any given time? I wish they had called beforehand and given me time to call reinforcements, cause I was alone, and they all paid individually, for some reason. There should have been two other people... one at bread and cheese, one at meat and veggies, one working the register.

They see me rollin' - They hatin'
Patrollin' and try'n to catch me ridin dirty
tryna catch me ridin dirty
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  6:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
UPDATE: I got a call from Ken, the Hartwell Zaxby's General Manager. He fell all over himself apologizing. Said he had no idea why the shift manager would do that, and double checked to see that I had told her. (I had even shown her my belt buckle :) ) He said he would have a long talk with her, and that it would never happen again, and would I please come visit the store soon, etc.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  7:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i never heard of zaxbies, are they like friendly's? Tell Ken that he owes all of us on school bus fleet.com some food. PS: I could see how it would be hard to get food for all the kids. They have a lot of other customers to deal with too, but they could have been a bit more pleasant. That was nice of you to offer to pay but wouldn't that have blown your payment for the charter? Just curious, or maybe you didn't need the money. None of my biz. I just know I wouldn't be offering to pay for lunches!

Ken should have offered a refund check if he was that sorry and you could have paid the coach back and they should have gave you all some coupons if they wanted to keep you as customers. I say, next time, go to Sonic (whatever that is)?
Go to Top of Page

misty

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  9:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by #80AmtranRE4

That was nice of you to offer to pay but wouldn't that have blown your payment for the charter?

How much do you think a meal at this fast food place costs? If he doesn't make enough to offset the cost of one meal, why bother to take the trip??

(and I agree, the driver should be taken care of, when bringing a rather large amount of business. I've always been lucky that our coaches never go someplace that doesn't comp at least the driver, or if we do, they will take care of me themselves. One benefit of being one of the favorite trip drivers...)

quote:

I say, next time, go to Sonic (whatever that is)?

Sonic is a drive-in restaurant. I've been tempted to go there, but the awning looks a little short for my bus to fit, not to mention I'd be blocking the entire parking lot with the rear end
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  02:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just be careful about being too vocal when a restaurant or other venue isn't keen on providing a "comp" to you. About 10 years ago I got suspended without pay for a week because I openly complained to a theme park manager about being told I couldn't give my "comp" day pass to a kid in the group who didn't have any money as both parents were out of work and the theme park stop was a change in plans when the outdoor activites got cancelled by rain mid-trip.

Drivers weren't permitted to be on the rides while on duty and there was only so much mini-golf I could have endured so I tried to help out the youngster when I heard of his troubles. They rejected my suggestion and then demanded that the kid find a way to pay his way or miss out on the fun - I walked to the nearest ticket booth, reached into my pocket and paid the $20 for the pass then handed it to one of the chaperones who discreetly passed it to the child's group leader since I didn't want the child to be teased or anything by his peers.

The park manager wrote a letter of complaint to my boss who decided to drag me over the coals and back again several times before handing me a written suspension notice. When I came back they decided to assign me what they felt was the worse bus in the fleet, a 1978 chev Thomas 5 speed... Yay! I loved it, faster than the 6.9 International automatics and I can assure you that I must of had the worst fuel mileage ratio in the company's history since I drove the old girl hard on the highways. Best of all they were puzzled that I wasn't complaining to get taken off that bus and it never needed a change-off mid-route. The silent revenge was fun!

JC
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  07:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC Theriault

Just be careful about being too vocal when a restaurant or other venue isn't keen on providing a "comp" to you. About 10 years ago I got suspended without pay for a week because I openly complained to a theme park manager about being told I couldn't give my "comp" day pass to a kid in the group who didn't have any money as both parents were out of work and the theme park stop was a change in plans when the outdoor activites got cancelled by rain mid-trip.

Drivers weren't permitted to be on the rides while on duty and there was only so much mini-golf I could have endured so I tried to help out the youngster when I heard of his troubles. They rejected my suggestion and then demanded that the kid find a way to pay his way or miss out on the fun - I walked to the nearest ticket booth, reached into my pocket and paid the $20 for the pass then handed it to one of the chaperones who discreetly passed it to the child's group leader since I didn't want the child to be teased or anything by his peers.

The park manager wrote a letter of complaint to my boss who decided to drag me over the coals and back again several times before handing me a written suspension notice. When I came back they decided to assign me what they felt was the worse bus in the fleet, a 1978 chev Thomas 5 speed... Yay! I loved it, faster than the 6.9 International automatics and I can assure you that I must of had the worst fuel mileage ratio in the company's history since I drove the old girl hard on the highways. Best of all they were puzzled that I wasn't complaining to get taken off that bus and it never needed a change-off mid-route. The silent revenge was fun!

JC

That was rude of your company management, I would have gave my two weeks notice, wrote an editorial about it, and found another place to work. The company you work for and the theme park should be embarrassed for being so lame, you were being so nice, give me the number to that place so i can call them! Just kidding of course
quote:
Originally posted by misty

quote:

That was nice of you to offer to pay but wouldn't that have blown your payment for the charter?

How much do you think a meal at this fast food place costs? If he doesn't make enough to offset the cost of one meal, why bother to take the trip??

(and I agree, the driver should be taken care of, when bringing a rather large amount of business. I've always been lucky that our coaches never go someplace that doesn't comp at least the driver, or if we do, they will take care of me themselves. One benefit of being one of the favorite trip drivers...)

quote:

I say, next time, go to Sonic (whatever that is)?

Sonic is a drive-in restaurant. I've been tempted to go there, but the awning looks a little short for my bus to fit, not to mention I'd be blocking the entire parking lot with the rear end

I'm sorry I misread his post, I thought he was going to cover the charge of the entire group, guess I was thinking of food when I was reading this article that it passed me by.
We don't have Sonics up here, we have Burger Kinds, Wendys and McD's. Where are you from.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  3:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think we used to have Zaxby's here in VA at least 10 years ago, but then they folded up. The name sounds familiar, but I can't remember for sure.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  11:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to step on any toes, but to tell you the truth....I would never ask the proprietor of any business for a freebie anything. If offered, I might take it, but to ask....seems to me to be a bit like begging.

Again, no offense intended.

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  12:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m sure the coach was reimbursed from the school dept. funds, like the coach would really pay from his own pocket? (so I’m sure the bill went right to the school district)- or maybe I’m wrong -maybe the coach has extra money to spend.

I have to agree w/ Ic. on asking the company for a free meal.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 04/09/2006 12:58:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  01:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalGimpling

I also used to work at subway, when an unexpected bus arrived. Anyone else notice that there is usually only one, maybe two people working in subway at any given time? I wish they had called beforehand and given me time to call reinforcements, cause I was alone, and they all paid individually, for some reason. There should have been two other people... one at bread and cheese, one at meat and veggies, one working the register.

Yes, I do notice that there is only one person working at Subway. Sometimes there are two or three but usually just one. Did you like Subway? I go there sometimes and usually get a meatball sandwich. I don't think I'd last there very long, making sandwich after sandwich, I'd probably get fed up and quit after a few weeks.
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  2:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the coach paid out of his pocket. He's one of those who take care of thier people. "Keep the driver happy and they will do a good job for you...."
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  5:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

Not to step on any toes, but to tell you the truth....I would never ask the proprietor of any business for a freebie anything. If offered, I might take it, but to ask....seems to me to be a bit like begging.

Again, no offense intended.

I was told right in my training class to expect free food at fast food restaurants when doing trips. I was told to show them the bus key and say you're the bus driver. The lady teaching the class actually told us that she has gone as far as rounding up the team and getting them back on the bus to bring them elsewhere when she was refused free food before.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  6:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most fast food restaurants around here offer free meals to the driver, McDonalds is big on it so it wouldn't surprise me if a driver asked. I rarely drive trips, we usually stop at McDonalds or Burger King, I don't care for either of those. I usually walk over to a KFC or Wendy's if one is nearby so I've never dealt with the places that I know offer a free meal. When we stop at McDonalds I usually tell one of the chaperones or coach's to tell them they are the driver.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000