New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  10:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is being discussed by my state association but I would like the actual reference where it says you need to remove snow from the roof of your bus before you start your run.

There is a law in regards to tractor trailers in NY, I think. Not sure. Anyone know where to find the information I am looking for?

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  07:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you supposed to reach the roof? I can barely reach the front window, never mind the roof.
Go to Top of Page

Tmac0384
Advanced Member

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tmac0384's Homepage  Send Tmac0384 an AOL message  Send Tmac0384 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i'm not sure it really matters... most drivers have those extended snow brush/ice scrapers and just try to get snow on the egdes of the roof. i figure...the snow will fly off the roof shortly after u start driving...and any leftover snow... wouldn't be a problem.

sometimes older is way better than new.

some photos of mine: http://community.webshots.com/user/Bus213
(it's a work in progress... tons of photos to come!)
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  4:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They did pass a law in NY about this, can you believe it? I tell you a couple big chunks of ice fall off your roof it gets rid of the tailgators!

I'm going to look under the Senate and Assembly pages and see if I can find it.

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  4:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A03842

I found it. I was looking for "snow", it was listed under "ice".

We don't clear our roofs off but it looks like we could be fined if something happened and an ice chunk hit somebody's car and caused damage. What will they think of next???

Edited by - mlkdrives41 on 12/23/2005 4:18:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  5:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Who can we hold responsible for injuries to drivers when they fall from ladders clearing off the roof? Certainly the politicians won't have any of it.

Personally, it takes me 30 - 45 minutes to clear off the roof of my bus with a ladder and a push broom. You can only do so much at one time. I can see this being practical if each bus yard constructed achways of brushes at the yard exits, but the brushes would have to be stiff enough to sweep off the snow, but still delicate enough not to scratch the bus and tear off any roof equipment. And even then, you'd need to have someone constantly plowing that area. All the snow coming off the roofs of the buses will pile up pretty high pretty quickly!

I think the motoring public just needs to learn to stay back from these buses when they're snowy (well anytime really!). The lawmakers want to protect these cars, but the cars need to do this for themselves by staying back from the bus. With the law passed, who will protect the school districts and contractors from the added time on the clock and insurance costs as a result of falling from ladders?

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 12/23/2005 5:08:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  11:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly! Time, safety of the person cleaning off the roof...This regulation was originally aimed at tractor trailers. Can you imagine trying to clear one of those fifty foot trailers off?

Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  08:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easton Woman Killed in Freak Accident

2005-12-26 - WFMZ - Serving Eastern Pennsylvania and Western New Jersey - 51-year old Christine Lambert was a radiation therapist who worked with cancer patients. She was remembered as "caring and beloved" by her husband tonight, just one day after a freak accident claimed her life.

It was Christmas afternoon when large chunks of ice blew off of a tractor trailer and directly into the windshield of the Lamberts' car on Route 209.

51-year-old Christine Lambert was driving, she was killed instantly.

One piece of ice was about as as big as a tissue box, other chunks still cluttering the backseat, were even bigger.

click for story
Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  10:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by subsbd

quote:
Originally posted by Sandra (Ennis) Nunn

Easton Woman Killed in Freak Accident

I know it happens. What practical/economical alternative(s) are you proposing? It's easy to point out problems. Coming up with practical/economical solutions is not.

You are absolutely right, subsbd, it's not easy and I have no "practical/economical alternatives" to propose. Solutions are better addressed by school transportation professionals with far more understanding of what's involved. But solutions must be found for a very real danger.
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

bpnh23

66 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  11:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most of the time there isn't enough snow on the roofs to deal with, because the wind in our yard blows it away. When there is say 6 inches or more of snow, myself and a few others are called in to clean off buses. We have 2 roof rakes, 15? feet long. Two drivers move buses, two drivers, one on each side of the bus clean most of the snow of with the roof rakes. It doesn't take but an hour for 4 of us to get the roofs and hoods clean off.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  8:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a man can visit the moon, if President Bush can "spy" on us, if traffic lights can be controlled by ambulance, fire and police cars, then I'm sure, somewhere out there, there is the technology to clear the snow off of our buses before they leave. Maybe it's not important enough until a serious tragedy occurs involving someone with high political power who will then mandate for some kind of procedure to be put in place. I wouldn't want a sheet of ice flying at me.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 02/18/2006 8:43:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  5:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like someone could come up with some kind of mechanism that loosens up the ice and cleans it off the roof without someone risking their life on a ladder. I picture something like the big brush in the carwash or something with chains to break up the ice but not damage the roof. I am also sure there is an inventor that could work on this problem. It is only when there is lots of ice or snow covered by ice that this is a problem.

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  06:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny how they can pass the law, but they won't provide for such safe devices? When will this law take place for NY? I'm thinking the same as you mlkdrives, on some sort of device. Like they have in car washes- or heated roofs! But, they would break all the time! What about if school bus companies make something that pushes the snow off the roof, and all we have to do is push a button! That would be great, but probably cost 10 grand! Where is superman when you need him!
Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  11:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a short bus and try to clean what I can Off I especially try to get it off the top of the door where my Lift is. Last Monday I got a big chunk of ice off it and just when i was putting my Pre-K child on the bus a little patch of lite snow came down on him just as he was going into the bus. Now I feel if I had not got the chunk of ice off there it could have been that that hit him in the head. I also feel the same way you do. It is hard to get all the snow off and I have had to slam on the Brakes and snow has fallen down my windshield. Scared the crap out of me. My children thought it was funny when I screamed out.
Go to Top of Page

brusi

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  02:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit brusi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mlkdrives41

I know this is being discussed by my state association but I would like the actual reference where it says you need to remove snow from the roof of your bus before you start your run.

There is a law in regards to tractor trailers in NY, I think. Not sure. Anyone know where to find the information I am looking for?

Go to Top of Page

brusi

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  02:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit brusi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not quite on topic as far as getting the snow off the 'roof'... but if you click on cool links on my profile there's a set of photos on a brand new MOBILE bus washing system that is now available in the Stetes... We're trying to get the word out!

Bruno
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  10:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call Grainger, or some other industrial supply house and ask for "snow rakes". They're designed to pull snow off of building roofs, ther're light, and cheap.
Hey tmac, I don't think the picture you posted is big enough, it only take up my ENTIRE monitor.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  4:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rswboe

Call Grainger, or some other industrial supply house and ask for "snow rakes". They're designed to pull snow off of building roofs, ther're light, and cheap.
Hey tmac, I don't think the picture you posted is big enough, it only take up my ENTIRE monitor.

Are these plastic or metal? I have a metal snow rake at home, but I would never pull that thing across the roof of my bus...the paint would be gone in no time!
Go to Top of Page

bfirlott

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  05:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfirlott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Here in New Brunswicks Canada the board bought us roof rakes for cleaning snow from our roof on our busses as we had a driver fall
Go to Top of Page

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  07:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just wait for the snow to melt before we go back to school. It cost us one bad weather day this year.

shalom dave

Shiny side up, greasy side down
Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  12:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What would you think of a sort of hot water sprayer that you would drive the bus under that would melt the snow/ice? Would this be practical? It would alleviate the concerns of drivers falling off ladders and such.

Nick
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  3:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The spray idea sounds good, with maybe something to dry it off afterwards so it doesn't freeze back up. We are supposed to be getting a new transportation facility (soon) which will have a bus wash and mostly indoor parking for the buses. That should alleviate the problem for us.

Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rakes we use are plastic, I haven't seen any damage to the paint yet, been using them fo a couple years. Too cold to use water, it just freezes locks & windows (we need to lock our buses here). Indoor parking? Bus wash? WOW. I must live in a different universe, thoses thing don't happen around here.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000