Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  1:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I thought that perhaps someone in this forum may be able to give me some advice with this one.

I'm looking into using a 1989 Thomas Saf-T-Liner MVP-ER to help move some of my belongings from Indiana to California this winter. The bus has a 200-horsepower Caterpillar 3208 Engine coupled to an Allison AT-545 4-speed automatic transmission. It's a 57+2 W/C [78-passenger body, 30,000 lbs. G.V.W.] with 124,xxx miles on it.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how much weight I could get away with hauling behind it (e.g., a car hauler or small trailer). Any thoughts? I know that we've towed small pick-up trucks and vans before while delivering buses in the past, but I never thought to ask back then how much towing weight the bus could safely handle.

Thanks in advance.

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  06:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A typical medium duty truck with a similar gvwr could tow upwards of 30-40,000 lbs, configured as a trailer. Your bus weighs considerably more than a road tractor or straight truck, but could safely tow a car trailer or similar weight, in my opinion. The hitch should be engineered for the appropriate towing weight capacity and axle weight capacities and installed by professionals, also my opinion. I've seen this done by private individuals and schools/districts and believe it can be done safely if due care is used in the planning and installation of the hitch and equipment. If you don't know how to do it, get in touch with folks that do.
Good luck!
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  5:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The limiting factor is the trans. The absolute load limit for an AT545 is close to 32,000lbs.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  08:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe and ModMech. I appreciate the information. Now I have a better idea of what my limitations are.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  11:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ModMech

The limiting factor is the trans. The absolute load limit for an AT545 is close to 32,000lbs.

I think I would have to worry more about the "little kitten" under the hood as thats a pretty good trip.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000