Sarasota school bus drivers stand ready
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bus9709
Top Member

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  2:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus9709's Homepage  Click to see Bus9709's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hurricanes don't scare Becky Gipson much.

"I figure what's going to be is going to be. I believe in God," the Sarasota County Schools bus driver said.

In an evacuation, it sounds like Gipson's would be a great bus to get on.

For the past four years, she has volunteered to shuttle people whenever the county orders evacuations. That included Hurricane Charley, when the school district sent about 20 buses to pick up evacuees.

And when she's done, even for Charley, she drives to her Punta Gorda home to hunker down.

"I always make it home," she said.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051022/NEWS/510220311/-1/ARCHIVES30

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  3:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, you beat me to it! Anyways, great article that puts school bus drivers in a positve light To all the the FL residents and any others who may be in the path of Wilma, good luck and God bless!
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  8:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck Sarasota! www.baynews9.com has pretty good coverage of our area. Sending good thoughts out to Punta Gorda/Naples etc.....
Go to Top of Page

vaoverland
Advanced Member

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  08:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit vaoverland's Homepage  Send vaoverland an AOL message  Send vaoverland a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick thought: The quantity of school buses makes them ideal for emergency uses like this. Even better, school bus driver in general have empathy and experience in caring for others. Two of the best experiences of my career were such responses, to a tornado aftermath, and a fire scene, in each case providing shelter, transportation and comfort to those in need. Of course, no one wishes such needs to occur, but I am glad I helped and would encourage others to embrace the opportunity and rise to the occasion, should it arise.

Wayne's Lifeguard in 1973 was a safety design and building concept ahead of its time and regulation. I am proud to have helped bring over 2,000 of them into Virginia during my career. I know they saved some lives.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/WayneBusEnthusiasts/

Mark Fisher, semi-retired school bus driver, pupil transportation supervisor, contractor, and school bus body dealer, Williamsburg, VA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000