3 T plan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  09:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many districts/Companies use the 3T plan? If you do not know what it means - a bus does 3 routes in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. Example: (Am)High, Middle, Elementary & (Pm) High, Middle, Elementary. Could be come a very complex system!

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  12:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do double or triple runs. It is the most efficient use of personnel and equipment, but it requires bell times to be staggered enough to safely run the routes. Our PM dismissals are a little close together and as a result, some buses run late once in a while.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  2:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our runs are pretty much like that. Though there are some instances where we have to make changes to accomidate the needs of the schools.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  5:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our district has a system set up like that.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  6:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been doing that forever. I believe it's a 3 tier routing system. High school, Middle School and Elementary. Some routes don't have high school, so I guess you could say some routes have 2 tiers, just Middle and Elementary. I think it's more efficient that way. There are not as many high school "runs" as previous years because of the pay-per-ride policy, so many high school routes have been cut. I'd prefer High School / Middle School over Middle School / Elementary.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 10/21/2005 6:22:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  6:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is the same way in Torringto, only 19 buses do High school, 31 for Middle, 38 for Elementary, several for Catholic.

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  6:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We run only run one route, we are rural and if we were to cut the number of routes and do two tiers the routes would end up being over an hour long.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  6:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our main district has a four tier system. High school, middle and two elementaries. It works well and some routes actually have a little down time in between schools.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  8:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We use two-tier (High/middle school, elementary school) and three-tier (High/middle school, elementary school, elementary school) route systems at our location. However, we have several routes only running one-tier (either all high school/vocational school students, or the Catholic school routes which contain students in grades K-12).
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  9:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The district I work for does it all kinds of ways. I for example, have a high school run, then a primary school run for the AM and PM. Other buses may have a high school, middle school, and primary OR Intermediate run. Some may have a middle school and primary OR intermediate run. Then the vo tech buses. One only have vo tech, another has vo tech and primary, and another has vo tech and intermediate. Then we have some buses that do private schools, plus a primary school run. Also, many of our buses have mid day runs.

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  05:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of our routes are one run a day. Each person eithier has a elementray, middle or high school run. We have never been able to get our schools to change the time enough to do double runs because our routes take mostly an hour since we're such a rurual area.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  07:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our routes would probably be considered as 2-tier runs. A bus would usually posses a middle school OR high school run, and then one or two elementaries. The middle schools start the earliest (7:35), with the high school next (7:55), and then the elementaries at either 8:30 or 9:00 depending on which one it is. The times were all staggered for the purpose of busing, and allow some buses to do two elementaries. No bus does a middle school and high school run. Since we have one high school and two middles, the high school runs are about twice as long.

Parochial schools and public "schools of choice" (like year-round schools) are normall serviced by shuttles.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

vaoverland
Advanced Member

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  09:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit vaoverland's Homepage  Send vaoverland an AOL message  Send vaoverland a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One comment about bell tiers in some circumstances: To work best, if anything the PM times need to be a little more apart, not closer. This takes a little detailed thinking to realize, but here is my attempt to explain:

In the AM, it is often possible to drop earlier loads of students off a little more prior to first bell (for earliest tier) than the buses do for last loads. Buses drop loads and go on to next assignment. This gives the buses more total operating time than the same staggers in PM. This is because, when first PM school dismisses, the loading time after dismissal bell before the bus begins its route must be added to route time needed to deliver students and get to next school.

This may not be the case in all communities and schools, but it was a good rule of thumb in several districts I have helped schedule.

Wayne's Lifeguard in 1973 was a safety design and building concept ahead of its time and regulation. I am proud to have helped bring over 2,000 of them into Virginia during my career. I know they saved some lives.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/WayneBusEnthusiasts/

Mark Fisher, semi-retired school bus driver, pupil transportation supervisor, contractor, and school bus body dealer, Williamsburg, VA
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  09:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right, Mark; that's the problem in my district. Years ago, nobody thought to factor in ten minutes of loading time in the PM. So most people have 20 minutes to run 30-minute routes.

Once a district's bell schedule is set, it is impossible to change for a very long time; usually due to a teacher's union issue.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  2:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here, we are dropped off about 30-45 mins before the AM bell, so our drivers can get to their next school (you are dropped later if their next school is near by) and then they do another school after that, or a shuttle to another school. In the PM, everything is TOOOO close together, many times there are 5-6 drivers late at each school if they are running late by 2 pm!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000