Bus stop system
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starbus

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  07:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of a system that pages or calls students automatically when the bus is 5 minutes away from their bus stop to eliminate students waiting along time for the bus. I read about something years ago in school bus fleet extreme routes using this kind of system that was on a route that covered allot of miles.
The information I need is:
1. Who makes this system?
2. Who to contact?
3. How much does it cost?
4. Does anyone use this system and what do you think?

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  09:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, it's called a SCHEDULE. Be at the stop 5 or 10 minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive and you won't miss it. Can't we expect people to be reponsible for ANYTHING anymore?????

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

Starbus

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  11:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suppose it's -30 below and the bus is running at least 20 minnutes lake covering say 75 miles. wouldn't that be nice for the students to know so they don't have to stand out in the cold for a 25 to 30 minnutes +. That could be dangerous.
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  11:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats another reason to develop a good relationship with your local radio stations. When a bus falls X minutes behind schedule the station could be notified and then announce it to its listeners.

On the other hand there is something to be said about waiting outside without proper winter clothing and complaining that its cold. Give me a break... dress properly and tough it out... we've all done it! Society is coddling everything from underdressed kids to dogs wearing sweaters and its time people realised that things were different even 10 years ago - we learned to adapt instead of complaining.

JC

Edited by - JC Theriault on 10/05/2005 11:58:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  1:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There was a system out there, I'm not sure if it is still made. I think it was mentioned in the forums not too long ago. If I run across the topic I'll post it in here.

Yes society has changed, in many ways towards the negative. Many people do not believe in personal responsiblity anymore. However no matter how warm you dress in certain conditions you can still become very cold. Starbus is from Minnesota and I'm sure they get some pretty nasty weather there in the winter and I see nothing wrong with having a system like this. In addition to this you must remember that when young children age 5-8 are underdressed it is the results of the parents, maybe they are lazy, maybe they just don't care, maybe they are just dumb. Should a child be forced to freeze because they have stupid parents? I don't think so, after all we don't get to choose our parents.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

amtran110

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  3:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Send amtran110 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i will stick to the topic on this one. i have never herd of such a system but if ever come accros one i will let you know

All i want is a 2006 IC with air every thing. Just an every day bus fanatic
Go to Top of Page

Starbus

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  04:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I read about it in school bus fleet 5 or 6 years ago. the article was about a route that covered about 200 miles each way to school.
Sure there are many reasons on why we don't need a system like this out there (but) I was thinking about marketing this to our high school students so maybe less would drive to school and more students would ride the bus. I think parents and students would think this is cool.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  05:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In one of my college classes we where looking at patents that where formed in our area of intrest and I came across the patent for this system. I think it's somewhat of a good idea expically for cold climate areas. But I have no more information about it but I do know it out there or was out there at one point in time.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  10:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point taken ont the weather, possibly the school district could look into a GPS system where the parents can log onto a web site to check the bus location, or the parents can set up a snow-chain calling system. How often do you transport in -30 degree weather?

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rswboe

Point taken ont the weather, possibly the school district could look into a GPS system where the parents can log onto a web site to check the bus location, or the parents can set up a snow-chain calling system. How often do you transport in -30 degree weather?

Not sure where his exact location in but wind chills tend to be a problem for us at times. I think the GPS system is a good idea, however the only limitation is that some people don't have internet access. I'm sure those in the area could contact each other and inform them.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  2:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HOPE THEY COME OUT WITH ONE!! Will help in winter time after snow storms

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  3:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have half of one of those systems. Got it in the auction. I'll see if I can find it.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  8:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VersaTrans has a product called VeraCast. It will filter by school, last name, or bus number and call everyone on that filter with a message.

It's not cheap, but it's reliable.

You do realize that your request does not have a cheap technologcal answer? There is nothign comparible that is affordable or reliable.

Loof into:
www.versatrans.com
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  06:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Special education students: The nature of this service means the bus may frequently be early or late. It can be difficult for a parent to have certain students ready for the bus for an extended period of time.

I recall a radio alert system marketed by the former pupil transportation director for the State of Ohio many years ago. It consisted of a transmitter on the bus and a receiver at the special education student's home. The weak signal from the bus could only be received when the bus was 3 miles or less from the student's home.

Today a driver can simply call a parent from their cell phone (while parked).

Regular education students: I used Google and in a few minutes came up with the following notification systems:

http://www.streemalert.com/streemnet/global/default.aspx

http://www.enera.com/rr_aw_emergency_linkpage2.htm

http://www.scholastic.com/administrator/octnov05/articles.asp?article=parentconnection

I'm sure there are plenty more to select from.

GPS and similar technologies are the best way to track a specific bus, however, as noted above, many parents do not have internet access.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000