Speed Limits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  5:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What is the maximum speed limit for your state for buses? For cars? In MI it's 55mph for buses, and 70mph for cars...that's the highest speed limit in the state of Michigan. Do you think they should be changed for buses at all so that the buses will be allowed to catch up to traffic? Also, how often do you get people passing you on the road. I was leaving a couple people behind in my bus (ooops) and there were some people still passing us!

Stop at: www.buses.cjb.net

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  5:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
55 mph for school buses in Calif. How often do people pass me? All the time! Hehe, especially when the speedometer on my bus was broken and read 55 mph when I was only going 45 mph.

I don't think I could catch up to half of the people who pass me on the freeway as it is. I wouldn't really want to go that fast (75 mph and up) in a school bus. But, sometimes if you only go 55 in some areas, you'll get run over by the passing traffic. Most of our drivers go between 60-65 mph.

C-ya around.

The Buskid - CrownBus32@aol.com - http://www.crownbus.com

Edited by - Buskid on 11/12/2001 6:59:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  6:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Florida, the speed limit for school buses is set at 55.

I think it should be at least changed to 60 or 65, considering that on a lot of Florida highways, the speed limit is 65 or 70.

If it's big and yellow, then it's a school bus!
http://www.geocities.com/jasonsbuspage
Go to Top of Page

Carpenter Bus_19
Advanced Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  6:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carpenter  Bus_19's Homepage  Send Carpenter  Bus_19 an AOL message  Send Carpenter  Bus_19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In pennsylvania the Speedlimit for school buses is.. there is nothing in the book that states a set limit. so id imaginge its 55 or 60 maybe even 65 (unless otherwise posted) (most school buses are goverened at 55)

Wayne A legend of the past.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  6:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yup Michigan is 55 expressway, 50 on the highway. I think it is absoultely stupid.

Are you going to cause more accidents flowing with the traffic, or going 15-20 miles an hour slower, having cars run up on your bumper, cut in and out of traffic to get around you, and cut you off? I think it is better to go 65 to be at least somewhat close to the speed of everyone else.

Now if you don't agree with me fine, but I do care about safety, I have driven for nearly 23 years, and I will tell you when you see me going down the expressway that bus is set at 65 mph. I have ridden with other drivers in our district, most go 65, there is one driver that will not go over 55, and let me tell you when you have semi's passing you it makes it logical to go 65-68 mph. Sit in the back of a bus for 3 hours and watch what traffic does when they are behind a slow moving school bus.

And yes I have passed a few people on the expressway before, if you are going to be driving on the expressway under normal driving conditions you had better be able to keep up with everyone, or don't even bother to get on.

I started a post in the General Interest Section at the beginning of the year, it has lots of feedback on this subject if you want to go look at it.

Thomas Built Buses- The best buses on the road.
Posts dedicated to 86-A. The best will never be forgoten.
Go to Top of Page

Brian M. Babcock
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  6:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brian M. Babcock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Ohio its:

65 mph for passenger cars and commerical buses

55 mph for trucks, non commerical buses, school buses, and vehicles with greater than 4 tons empty weight

The OSHP is everywhere and enforces it very strictly. Even so... average speed on the state turnpike (I80-I90) is still about 75-78 mph for cars. Believe me this can be nerve racking when your driving a bus that will top out at 62 mph!!

http://montell305.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  8:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There's a reason the speed limits are set the way they are. Heavier vehicles handle much differently, get into accidents more easily, and cause a lot more damage when they hit something. If people are passing you and it causes an accident, it's their fault, not yours. Drive the slower speed limits, and let the cars pass you if they want. That's what the left lane's for.

—Phil

"It's the same way some people are obsessed with cars. I'm just weird."
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  4:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Phil4747, I value your opinions, but considering you are a student and not a bus driver, I will stick with my opinion on the issue. I have driven for nearly 23 years and do not belive that it is safer to drive 15-20 mph slower than everyone.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  6:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The speed limit for cars should be the same for school buses. How many cars do you see that actually go no more than the posted speed limit? Not many (at least in my area). If buses are only going 55 mph on the highway (which is 5 mph less than the posted speed limit on my most local highway), then most of the cars are going between 70 and 75. I usually drive at about 65 mph on that highway (depending on conditions), and I seem to be getting passed all the time. I see 18-wheelers flying by me doing about 70 mph!!

What I am trying to say is if a bus is going about 20 mph below the speed limit, that seems like it's more of a safety hazard than if it was going 60 or 65 mph. Most buses in my area travel at about 60 mph at least, if not 65 (on a highway with a posted speed limit of 60) depending on various factors. I think that is much safer. As long as the bus driver keeps a very safe distance between the bus and the car in front of him/her, and they are paying attention, then I think that is pretty safe.

School buses should be able to keep up with traffic and be allowed to travel at about the same posted speed limit as cars.

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

"Blue Bird: Always flyin' high above the rest...
Blue Bird: One of America's Best!!! "
Go to Top of Page

Brian M. Babcock
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  6:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brian M. Babcock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Phil4747, I value your opinions, but considering you are a student and not a bus driver, I will stick with my opinion on the issue. I have driven for nearly 23 years and do not belive that it is safer to drive 15-20 mph slower than everyone.

I agree with you Thomas_86a. I have only been driving bus for five years but I have found in my travels that it is quite unsafe to be traveling with such a speed differential between us and the rest of traffic. In one particular case I was almost rear-ended by a semi truck which came up very quickly on my rear bumper and was unable to switch lanes due to heavy traffic. Unfortunately, I have found this type of incident to occur quite frequently during highway travel. At least here there is only a (supposed) 10 mph differential in speed. I have driven trips north into Michigan where the 15 mph differential amplifies the problem. So 86a, I can sympathize with your predicament. Yes, I am aware that the semi trucks are supposed to be going slower but the simple fact is that they don't. In general 98% of bus drivers are far above average in the handeling their vehicle, the "goverment brains" who create these laws do not realize what a disadvantage they put us at with this differential. Plus, try to merge a 40ft. vehicle into rush hour traffic on the interstate with it traveling 15 mph faster than you are. No easy task! Sorry, I got off on a soap box here, thats just what I think.

http://montell305.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  6:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't drive a lot of field trips, but when we have them going down by Detroit I always volunteer because I like going down there. I can handle, but when I have to merge I always have that bus moving faster than 55, it is extremely difficult to merge into traffic at slow speeds, and if you do then you are really creating a hazard.

And even though the semi's are supposed to only go 55 they don't, its plain and simple, I can have my bus set at 68(cruise control), and the semi's don't usually pass me then, but they don't have a hard time keeping up with me.

I sometimes pass school buses on the expressway, but most travel at 65 just like I do. Now on the highway that is different in Northern Michigan, we are only supposed to go 50, cars 55. If I go 55, I am fine the majority of the traffic doesn't push over 60. So I don't make to much of a fuss over that, but the expressway really baffles me! I would like some of the lawmakers to ride in the back of school bus traveling at 55 mph going down I-75- it doesn't even have to be rush hour, any time of the day when you get into heavier populated areas.

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  7:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Plus, try to merge a 40ft. vehicle into rush hour traffic on the interstate with it traveling 15 mph faster than you are. No easy task!

I know how you feel! I almost had a cement truck up my back bumper one time merging onto the freeway.

The speed limit for cars in Calif. on most of the freeways is 65 mph, that means a vast majority (not all, but enough) of them (semi-trucks included) are going 75-90 mph. If I go 55 mph in most areas, I might as well not be moving at all. I know that's bad, but it's the truth!

Like I said in my previous post, most of our drivers go 60-65 mph. For what it's worth, I keep it around 60-65 mph myself.

The Buskid - CrownBus32@aol.com - http://www.crownbus.com
Go to Top of Page

Brian M. Babcock
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  7:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brian M. Babcock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would like some of the lawmakers to ride in the back of school bus traveling at 55 mph going down I-75- it doesn't even have to be rush hour, any time of the day when you get into heavier populated areas.

No lie man! I have had the same experience. We do a few charters to Detroit Metro Airport every year and that traffic on I-94 can be a real trip. Also, just about anywhere between Toledo and metro Detroit on I-75 it seems that traffic is moving between 80-85 mph. Considering that my bus (1987 BB/All American) will do about 68 mph wide open it can be quite a trip! Some of our other buses will do about 73 mph but that is about tops! I took a trip up to the Silver Dome once also, that was pretty cool!

quote:
Like I said in my previous post, most of our drivers go 60-65 mph. For what it's worth, I keep it around 60-65 mph myself.

I try to keep it around 62ish but every once and a while I will creap up a little bit! Ooops!

Edited by - Brian M. Babcock on 11/13/2001 7:17:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2001 :  06:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Texas school buses are restricted to 55mph except on interstate hyways , where 65mph is allowed if the bus has an expensive state permit.I think the lower speed limit is good as the bus becomes a road hazard at all times instead of just at railroad crossings ,or when loading and unloading.Face it a schoolbus is a pain in the neck for other drivers it is best they get over it.

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2001 :  10:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No, I'm not a school bus driver, but when I'm driving my car, I always go around 3-5 over the limit. That means 70ish on the highway. People constantly pass me, but I never worry about it. The key is defensive driving--just watch what they're doing, know that they might do something stupid, be prepared, and be glad you're driving a school bus.

No matter how fast you go, you'll always have people passing you or tailgating. Going 70, I've had one car right on my rear and cars passing on each side simultaneously--Just have to be alert. Besides, if I get rear-ended when I'm going the speed limit, it's their fault, and I can sue so I can finally afford that bus.

Now I said I drive 70 in my car. I wouldn't dream of driving a 40 ft bus loaded with kids that fast--Like you said, I'm not a bus driver, so I don't know how fast would be safe, but if 70-75 is the most I'm comfortable with in my car, I imagine in a bus I'd go a lot slower.

—Phil

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2001 :  6:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I respect your opinion, in a few years after you have had some experience behind the wheel of a bus I am going to ask you this question again, and we will see what you have to say.

Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusCharter

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  08:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Virginia - 45 loaded on road's, 55 loaded on highway and posted speed limit when empty. This state keeps changing speed limits for cars from 65 to 55, back to 65 and so on. But governors on engines in this state do not exceed 58 in most cases. Older 80's buses do not go above 50.

Ryan Mathews
Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  3:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
By the way, a friend of mine, who's been driving for almost 19 years, shares my opinion on speed limits.

—Phil

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  4:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have whatever most buses can't really get up that high. Soon we are going to have to have goveners and you can't go over 55 I think. I see alot of buses speed by my house and it only 35 and they are probaly going 40 to 45 and they are specail need buses. Some who are be hind me to school or are infront of me they on our but at 25 or they pull away from us and the speed is 25.

BlueBird44-"44 Best Bus EVER!"
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2001 :  6:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In GA the speed limit is 55 for field trips and express/shuttle runs. On regular routes, the speed limit is 40. i feel that this is dangerous, because of the other people trying to pass the slow moving bus, especially on the regular route. I think that this is one of the reasons so many people pass stopped buses. I know that most of the drivers in my area go 55 on thier regular route.

Go to Top of Page

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2001 :  07:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THERE WERE SOME PEOPLE HERE, IN BROWARD, TO INSTALL TRACKS ON SOME OF OUR LIFT BUSES THEY FORGOT. HE TOLD ME THAT IN NORTH CAROLINA THE SCHOOL BUSES WERE GOVERNED AT 45 MPH. YES 45. ALL ACTIVITY BUSES WERE PAINTED WHITE AND WOULD GO 55-60 MPH.
I GUESS IF YOU DROVE A SCHOOL BUS THERE, UULESS YOU HAD A DEATH WISH, YOU WOULD STAY OFF THE INTERSTATES.

JIMBO

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  6:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bus drivers go 50 MPH on city roads for Gods sake. They go 80 on the NYS Thruway! It's crazy!

"CROWNBYCARPENTER*****... the bum on School Bus Fleet's forum!" STOP THE BASHING PEEPS!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000