New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kentuckynascar1
Advanced Member

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  8:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pics included of the accident. The mandatory link: http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=3752280

CountGirl
Top Member

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  9:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa. Medievac is not good, and the situation isn't good. Did the driver know this route/underpass? I would suspect not because you wouldn't have a bus dramatically taller. Was there a sign posted/height warning? Unless she was traveling at a high speed she probably saw it coming...sad. No time to stop though...so sad. When something is that low they ought to have preview signs before it, height measurers etc. - I mean, that damage looked to be about 9'6" or 9'8" - bus is 10'4" or 10'6".

In Oregon the road would have been closed to "trucks" - which is a warning or prohibit for buses, also, and they post signs about height.

Not saying it wouldn't have happened here, just saying what Oregon does. My heart & prayers go out to the driver...she had very little warning, and then no choice.

Count

Give me a yellow object. Yes. Right now. I need my yellow chocolate, for goodness sake!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  03:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was totally preventable judging by the article.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  08:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

That was totally preventable judging by the article.

Don't be so quick to make judgements like that.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  09:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Don't be so quick to judge"?, why, did someone suddenly put a low bridge in the road? It's not like a freak thing where a tree falls in front of the bus, did it occur to you that by looking at the danage, the bridge is just about eye level with the driver? Was the bridge hidden by a blind corner? Call me judgemental, but this looks like a no-brainer.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually it did not occur to me that the bridge was at eye level, If it were at eye level I don't think the winshield posts would still be standing up like they are.

I'm not saying the driver is not at fault, however that news article was far from detailed and I just feel a more detailed report would be nice before deciding what is totally preventable and what are "no-brainers". The news article mentioned: "I can't tell you if she had ever driven that route before, but she had driven it that morning so she was aware of the alternate route," Which way does the official route sheet tell her to go? Does it say to go down that road or does it say to take this "alternate route" that was mentioned? What is the reason for her taking a different route than she did in the morning?

So comment as you please, but I'll wait for a few more details before I make my judgement.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

amtran110

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  6:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Send amtran110 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
they should have added a litile moor to that report. it dose look eye level

All i want is a 2006 IC with air every thing. Just an every day bus fanatic
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't look at eye level to me as the driver would have had a face full of windshield, which is still intact including the centre support. She's very lucky she wasn't decapitated seeing how that roof rolled back like a sardine can.

JC
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  09:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take another look at the wreck. True, the windshields are still standing, but the roof is pushed back and DOWN. The drivers window frame is also pushed down and out, as is the first passenger window. If it didn't hit at eye level, it certainly wasn't more than 12 to 14 inches over, almost certainly in the driver's primary field of vision. If you note that the windhshield, did in fact, pop out of the frame as the frame peeled back and down into the driver area, you may conclude that the driver most likely suffered serious head injury (need for medivac) as the entire roof cap is sitting in the same space previously occupied by the drivers head. I stand by my comments.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000