Note: What seems impossible can be easy to solve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  3:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pupils 'police' buses to school

The scheme will now be extended to two other schools

July 28 2005
BBC NEWS
A bus company has cut out vandalism on a school-run by giving pupils the chance to "police" the buses.

Stagecoach gives free passes to those who help out on the trips to Burnage High School in Manchester.

It was losing £4,000 a week and had to divert buses because gangs were refusing to pay fares had smashed windows and even robbed drivers.

The bus monitor scheme has been so successful, it will be extended to two other schools in Greater Manchester.

Roy Goodwin, school liaison officer for Stagecoach, came up with the idea of allocating the school two buses and choosing popular pupils to become bus monitors.

Bus 'stormed'

Six pupils from years 10 and 11, aged 15 or 16, now police the buses.

They make sure pupils behave and report any problems to the company, and in return they get free travel on Stagecoach buses throughout the week.

Werneth High School in Stockport and Chorlton High School will now take up the scheme in September.

Mr Goodwin said: "We had groups of 20 to 30 lads storming the bus and refusing to pay and every night a window would be broken.

"Bus drivers were regularly being beaten up and robbed and one night, when two inspectors went to a driver's rescue, they were attacked as well."

He spoke to pupils, parents and teachers, about ways to solve the problem.

Click Here for story

Quit Pie | Vote

FREE School Bus Safety Ads
Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. Note that the photos area is under revision - The school bus safety ads area is now available. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 07/29/2005 3:08:41 PM

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like they came up with a good plan of action that is working for them. I wonder what they do to punish the offenders?
Does England use school bus's like the ones used here?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you get School Transportation News? They had a picture of an English school bus and an article about them in there August issue.
Go to Top of Page

lvbuscrazy

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  7:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Send lvbuscrazy an AOL message  Send lvbuscrazy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How do you get that Magazine?
Go to Top of Page

HollisterBus

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  07:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who Protects the saftey of your 6 pupils that ride the bus?. Are they under cover?. I think you have a great idea here.

Tony HatField
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  10:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HollisterBus

Who Protects the saftey of your 6 pupils that ride the bus?. Are they under cover?. I think you have a great idea here.

Seldom is there a need for protection or a need for rewards, such as candy (or free passes in this case), when students are informed and the environment is calm through driver violence prevention training and effective driver support. I would suppose a bus with a gang on board or a gang mentality must first be resolved before making the transition with kids from irresponsible acting to responsible acting. Change the survival demands of the students trapped within the bus environment to change their overall behavior. Treat kids as intelligent, capable human beings, stay firm with expectations and deal immediately with what some call minor issues. Treating kids like animals by giving treats as rewards does not build an actual relationship with certain children on the bus or at school. What happens when the treats are cutoff? A surprise ice cream party at school when every child on the bus has met student safe practices expectations on and around the school bus is far more rewarding for everyone involved. Secure the environment first. Then call on the the kids intelligence and their decency. Expect it, demand it, see it through to a successful conclusion - no child left at risk. (jk)

As the wheels turn

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  07:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lvbuscrazy, I get the magazine because I subscribed to it. I've also subscribed to School Bus Fleet magazine. Both are good magazines. Why do you ask?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000