Window Smashing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HollisterBus

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  6:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How would you like to start a Monday morning off like this! You walk into your bus parking lot and find 16 of your 20 buses with broken windshields. All on the drivers side. We had to call off school Monday (2/07/05). We replaced 16 windshields in 9 hours. 6 where were all ready cut. The other 10 had to be cut out on the parking lot. I have heard of tires being cut before but, this was a really tough challenge to prepare for the next day of school. But we did it. Has anybody else had someting like this happen?

CountGirl
Top Member

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  7:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup. Two years ago vandals accessed by secured railroad tracks at a traffic crossing, continued on three to four miles, stood on the tracks to get aim, shot across both our security fencings, and broke out ten buses back and back-end windows with rocks. Ten buses affected - nine spares, only one route was disrupted [late pickup/arrival time] because they had to use one bus for two runs. Some of the drivers chose to keep their interior items as "prizes"...darn, those rocks were BIG!

Count

Give me a yellow object. Yes. Right now. I need my yellow chocolate, for goodness sake!
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  7:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our former dispatcher previously worked at a 50 bus terminal for the same company on the other side of town. One night near the end of school, kids slashed tires and broke windows on the majority of the buses at that terminal in hopes of getting school cancelled. When the dispatcher arrived at 5 AM, he immediately got on the phone to other terminals requesting buses and drivers to deliver them. They ran every route that morning using the borrowed buses and there were some very surprised and disappointed kids.

Now in the spring, a number of drivers at that location take turns camping out in the lot on strategic nights to deter vandals. Management figures it's cheaper to pay them for surveillence than to pay for repairs. No incidences of year-end vandalism since they started this system.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

busmech67@aol.com

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  9:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had that every Monday in Pittsburgh for years. Hired a security company,they stole more than they saved,we used spares to block daily busses,only choice,( no cameras),Police where no help.
Go to Top of Page

Johnny C.

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  1:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember very well this happening a few years ago in a town closeby. some teens thought it would be fun to smash windows with baseball bat and spray paint "schools closed" down the sides of the buses. until they got caught.

school was open, and those little sh!ts got expellled. quite the happy ending for the transportation department.

This message endorsed by Johnny C., what idiots do not want to see!
Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  5:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two years ago for us, too. Couple kids spray-painted 60-odd windshields and we had to close schools for the day while we scraped them clean.

Sure! I'll pick your kid up closer to the house... Widen your front door!

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  4:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of our contractors a few months after getting her new bus some kid was drunk and happend to wonder on her property and busted the windows out of her bus and I think bent the stop sign. So when she woke up the next morning she had to call the police and quickly find a spare bus to drive and pick up her students.

A few years ago students in a nearby district went and let the air out of all the special ed buses and a couple regular ed buses. They where caught in the process and they where made to stay and help and try to get all the buses back on the road. The shame was that those students where suppose to be getting some big end of the year treat which they where all looking forward to but they missed out because regular ed students thought it would be funny to mess there buses up. The kids felt really bad after it.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  1:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this has nothing to do with window smashing, but last year someone sliced over 66 of our about 1,200 buses. Their are about 60 buses at a coupound, so one whole compound was effected. Funny fact, but they even sliced some of the non working (in repair shop's) buses tires. All od that compounds buses were 2 hours late. Good thing the janitor came in early and noticed all of the buses with flats!
-Jake

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  4:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just a few weeks ago while on a sport trip one of our drivers had an emergency window broken out. Sad, too, because it was one of our 2004 IC FE's. But, before that he got the back bumper caught on a guard rail, and pulled about a third of it backwards. He must have had a fun day, bus was a sight.

After that I talked to our mechanic about vandalism of our buses, and he said all he could remember was around the end of the school year he went to the lot and all of our buses had missing tire stem caps...whoever did it thought that would cause the air to leak out of the tires. Little did they know...Morons.

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

marty

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  04:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a neighboring district had the windows broken and tampax put in the fuel tanks. took 6 months to find all the "fuel" problems.

marty
Go to Top of Page

no3foreternity

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  08:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 yrs ago at my terminal (50 buses) someone "broke in" overnight and cut all the brake lines. Both air and hydrualic brake buses, front and rear lines. I say "broke in" because the fence around our term. only goes 2/3 the way around the property. A few years before that we had 2 buses shot with BB guns and rocks but only a few windows were damaged and we had spares to cover those 2.

I say "Good Morning" and call them by name,and in return I'm told the same,they go sit down and think of a rule to break,but are quickly subdued when warned of the actions I'll take. They've learned to follow the rules can be safe and can be fun........and after the high schoolers it will be the elementary run!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  02:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know of any incidents of more then one bus getting vandalized at a time. But alot of different things have been done to different buses. Smashed windows, stolen items, one bus had it's fire extinguisher discharged all over the inside of the bus, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  3:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The day before Christmas Break last year, my lot was vandalized. They put gravel in 27 fuel tanks, broke windows, bent stop arms, and stole license plates. It was a chaotic morning, but we got 'em all to school on time. We installed locking fuel doors that afternoon on all of the buses and have been in the clear ever since. I was extremely thankful that they didn't get to our twelve brand new Bluebird All-Americans.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000