what state should i start my bus company in
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrbluebird
Advanced Member

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  12:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrbluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i need some input on what state to start a school bus contracting company in i was thinking penslvanya i dont likeout west .

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  1:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you define "out west?"
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  5:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pennsy would be a good choice! There's tons of private contractors that lease their buses to area schools to use. Better have proper insurance, and good machanics though incase something was/were to happen. I deffently wish you the best of luck in starting your own company, I'd love to do the same one day. Good Luck

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  07:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find a state that best allows you to be safe, can keep your customers happy, and to make a profit.

PHW

Child Check For Life
Chock Wheels For Life
Proud American For Life
Go to Top of Page

R44 5308 A Train
Advanced Member

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  2:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit R44 5308 A Train's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about New Jersey so I can see your buses?

New York, New York, a wonderful town,
The Bronx is up, and the Bettery's down,
The people ride in a hole in the ground,
New York, New York, it's a wonderful town!!!!!

-From the 1949 classic movie "On The Town"

I love NYC!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  4:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jersey is one of the worst states to start a bus contractor. You can't spec a bus with high capacity because of their stupid capacity laws! Besides, insurance is way too expensive, and on top of that, you have to retire a bus after 12 years!

Go to Top of Page

R44 5308 A Train
Advanced Member

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  4:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit R44 5308 A Train's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That must be why I never see buses there that have more then 72 passengers.

I love NYC!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  3:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kentucky would be a great place to start a school bus contracting company

Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  09:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where the heck do you see 72 passenger buses in NJ???? New Jersey Transit? They come under different rules. School buses are limited to 54 in this state.
A little aside to Rich Solano, after 12 years on NJ roads, they NEED to retire!!!! (even that may be too long in some operations!!)

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

R44 5308 A Train
Advanced Member

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  4:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit R44 5308 A Train's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where do I see 62 pax buses in NJ? It's called Laidlaw.

And an 40' long & 102" wide NJT bus will seat 45 to 55 passengers, depending on the model.

I love NYC!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  4:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats only 45 to 55 SEATED passengers on NJT buses, don't forget the standee capacity which is up to 3/4 of the seated passengers capacity as the industry norm.

So a transit bus could hold 78 to 96 on a run if you counted the standees.

As for NJ school buses, a quick check of First Student's used buses for sale listings shows nothing larger than 54 passenger. I can't see state inspectors allowing a rule violation like oversize buses to occur. Nor can I see a contractor such as Laidlaw put themselves in a position of being in the position of running oversize school buses.

Are you sure you aren't seeing "school buses" that are being used for charters or something other than school routes?

JC
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  4:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if some of these buses had full sized shells, but had the rear seats removed to kick down the capacity.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  5:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My area is not a good place, all buses in this area are county owned besides Williams Bus Lines, which disneynuts could tell you about since he works for them

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

mrbluebird
Advanced Member

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  2:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrbluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have deside to start my bus company in my home state of michgian in my local area.
i think i will be better off living close to my family and friends.
thank you all for your imput. thakyou all very much

YOUR CHILDREN'S SAFETY IS OUR BUSINESS
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  3:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mrbluebird, I wish you the best of luck, and keep us updated, not to mention, take some pictures of your fleet so we can all see them

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

mrbluebird
Advanced Member

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  10:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrbluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
iwill once i have enough mony to start my company thank you very much your cool to talk to.

YOUR CHILDREN'S SAFETY IS OUR BUSINESS
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  09:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have the best of luck mrbluebird, the current bus co. in Torrignton Ct was started by Rich Dufour, the Company is All-Star Transportation LLC. As of last year he had contracted at least 5 districts including Torrington. So the Best of luck to you!!

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000