School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 73 International/Superior Engine Revival!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MongoKen

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  11:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Send MongoKen an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone on this forum have any experience restoring an older 70's International (345 Gas/Manual)bus? Specifically, I'm looking for tips on the procedure for attempting to start an engine that has been dormant for nearly 15 years.(It's been nearly 20 years since I've heard the "roar" of the international gas engine ) I have an opportunity to get a 73 International (Superior)for free and was wondering what I would be up against. My intentions would be to fix it up and keep it original. The body appears to be in good condition. As a matter of fact, there is a local junk yard that purchased 5 of the exact same bus (from the local school auction), so parts for the chassis and body are readily available.

Please share any experiences/suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  7:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If they are the busses I am thinking about ( with the wing type double hood)I will suggest you be very careful about them (hoods) coming down on your fingers-- that hurts--. I also remember a lot of adjustments being made on the accelerator pump arm on the carb. A lot of times it will get loose and you'll get crappy throttle response, take a pair of channel locks and bend the arm a little to remove the slack-- IF you ever get it started after 15 years. Ignition wires like to go bad as well. I worked on a LOT of these buses and if anything else comes to mind I'll post again. But the usual recommendations for starting an old unused engine will of course apply. I also remember replacing a BUNCH of front and rear front leaf spring mounting pins, as well as brake boosters and too many clutches to remember.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  8:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MongoKen

Does anyone on this forum have any experience restoring an older 70's International (345 Gas/Manual)bus? Specifically, I'm looking for tips on the procedure for attempting to start an engine that has been dormant for nearly 15 years.(It's been nearly 20 years since I've heard the "roar" of the international gas engine ) I have an opportunity to get a 73 International (Superior)for free and was wondering what I would be up against. My intentions would be to fix it up and keep it original. The body appears to be in good condition. As a matter of fact, there is a local junk yard that purchased 5 of the exact same bus (from the local school auction), so parts for the chassis and body are readily available.

Thanks!

If you decide to take this bus I wish you luck with it, there is nothing more soothing to listen to than the roar of an International 345 engine, I loved those suckers! I drove a 73, 82, and 86 ICH with this engine (86 body, chassis was older).

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  05:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yea!! the gull wing hood! cut my teeth on one of those! had one for 7 years...good memories! Sure would like to see a pic of it, before and after. I know the fenders were a great sourse for rust and you had to really keep that WHOLE STEEL hood clean.

Seemed like you had to drive em like you were mad at em...great bus. Love to have one now..

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Edited by - bbird66 on 02/25/2005 05:31:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  06:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
I sent you an email on this. Advise if I can help.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  11:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wagonmaster

Ken,
I sent you an email on this. Advise if I can help.
Joe

Hope ya didnt use the e-mail in the SBF profile, they never work
Go to Top of Page

MongoKen

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Send MongoKen an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe -

Thank you for sending the email...unfortunately it does not seem to work. Would you mind resending it to kenneth.w.baksys@saic.com?

Thanks
Ken

"Superior Buses..A Legend of the Past"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  3:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raytobe

But the usual recommendations for starting an old unused engine will of course apply.

Out of curiosity, what are some of these recommendations? I can imagine that lubrication is a major issue...
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  4:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Check all the gaskets, etc. They may have dry rotted and/or deteriorated.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  10:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
one thing I would do before starting is to remove the distributor and take a 1/4 (or 5/16, or 3/8 I can't remember which one fits) deep well 1/4 inch drive socket (twelve point) on a long extension and run it down into the dist hole onto the oil pump shaft (careful not to drop it in) and use a cordless drill to spin the oil pump shaft-- best to spin it both ways-- this will prime the oil galleys and help reduce a lot of friction you'll encounter on startup. If it were me I would even change the oil (using ten weight) and filter before I spun it up. If I got it running I would warm it up and change the oil (using proper weight) and filter again. I would also check those spark plugs and the rotor (notorious for shorting out) before I tried to start it, and make sure the coil is firing by using non conductive plastic or wood to hold the coil to dist wire about an 1/4 inch from a ground point on the engine at the dist end and turning the engine over to see if you have a spark. But these are all suggestions that any mechanic knows by rote.
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  4:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just an footnote to my post above-- I got to thinking and the oil pump shaft may be slotted, I can't remember for sure. If it is you can use an old large long slotted screwdriver with the handle cut off. Clamp it into the cordless drill and use that to spin the oil pump.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  5:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Watch the exhaust lobe for the #7 cylinder (third back D/S anyway) they like to go flat.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

jimbcole

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  2:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jimbcole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may want to remove the spark plugs before spinning the engine over and spray some lubricant in the cylinders in case the piston rings have adhered to the cylinder walls.
Go to Top of Page

MongoKen

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  4:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Send MongoKen an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate all the advice.

For those that are interested in a pic of the bus, below is a link. Enjoy!!

"Superior Buses..A Legend of the Past"
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  4:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like it, Take it!!!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

Busdude3
Top Member

USA
1178 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  2:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Busdude3 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MongoKen

Thanks!

I bow down to you for keeping it original! Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  10:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If ya want to convert it to fuel injection or just want a cheap mod for the distributor to run Ford Duraspark stuff in it, then read up about the conversion/s at www.justinternationals.org

I love my injected 304 in my scout It will run upside down now Looking for a good 392 for a buildup for it one day!!

Wish ya luck with your bus!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000