New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  8:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As many of you have hopefully noticed, my site, Greg's School Bus Garage, has been on a 3+ month hiatus. After much thinking, and a very generous friend offering me some of his webspace, I have decided to move Greg's School Bus Garage to its own domain. This means a COMPLETELY new design. Please note, I will only be working on this new site as time allows. I am shooting to debut this new site May 2005 at the LATEST! Please feel free to comment on what you want to see added to my site, or changes made. Here is a ROUGH idea of what the new design will look like. It is quite simple and plain, but I am shooting for what matters most, the contents. http://www.sbgarage.net/gsbg.htm
Please feel free to comment, good or bad, to help me get what the viewers want!
NOTE: The current GSBG can still be visited during the rebuilding process at: http://www.geocities.com/fordman11189/SchoolBusGarage.html
Thanks!
Gregory Hovan - Webmaster of GSBG

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  8:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me. Right now I'm totally rebuilding my site to, as time allows. Wish you the best of luck!
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  07:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great to me!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

Busdude3
Top Member

USA
1178 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  08:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Busdude3 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sweet Greg! Good luck with the site. I can't wait to see the new look!
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  08:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love it!
-Jake
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  09:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice Greg. Can't wait to see it!!

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  10:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Greg, that looks excellent so far, very professional. Good luck with the new design. Which host are you using?
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  12:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the new version. I can't wait to see it!

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  2:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck im sure it will be great. I cant wait to see it.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

CrownBus1
Top Member

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  10:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to see the new version!

Bus 1
1985 Crown
Go to Top of Page

72Corsair
Top Member

USA
698 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  5:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Greg. I remember when you site first came online and cant wait to see where it is going.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  9:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is with deepest regrets that I write this, but as of today, the venture to rebuild GSBG is being postponed indefinitly. It has just become too much of a hassle, and I just dont find it as fun as I used to. To the few viewers I get, thanks for two wonderful years! It is a shame that what was once fun has turned into a competition. Maybe, I'll return, maybe I won't. The current GSBG wont be deleted, nor the start of the rebuild. If the spirit so moves me to work on it, I will, but don't expect much. Thanks for 2 wonderful years!
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  12:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasfan89

It is with deepest regrets that I write this, but as of today, the venture to rebuild GSBG is being postponed indefinitly. It has just become too much of a hassle, and I just dont find it as fun as I used to. To the few viewers I get, thanks for two wonderful years! It is a shame that what was once fun has turned into a competition. Maybe, I'll return, maybe I won't. The current GSBG wont be deleted, nor the start of the rebuild. If the spirit so moves me to work on it, I will, but don't expect much. Thanks for 2 wonderful years!

I see what ya mean there! I've been fixing my site for some time now, I have no clue why but it gets me away from boredum. And your welcome for the two years!
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry to hear that Greg but I can understand how you feel. Hosting a site is hard work, from all the running around getting pictures to the actual site itself. But I hope you stick around here on the forums and on chat(which I've been asbent from a lot myself, sorry guys and girl). But thanks for two great years with GSBG. The Mentor buses alone make me drool but the site as a whole is and always will be one of the best.
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  12:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear that as well. I always looked forward to your site's updates to see the different buses farther up in NE Ohio. While I'm saddeded to hear your news, I can understand exactly what you mean.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  9:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thank you all for the comments. I can tell by the outpouring of support, that it might not be in my best interested to call it quits. I have indefinitly postponed the redesign, but I will return. I slept on it, and figured, I mind as well finish what I started. BUT there are some things to keep in mind, the rebuild will be done EXENTUALLY. There is no set date. It could be May or it could be August. I will make it clear that I will be back, but I am taking a break right now. When it is finished, updates will be as I find the time, not following a regular pattern. I appologise for the flip flop, and takeing all of you guys on a complete run arround, but I wrote that out of anger (some of you would know why). SO as of now, there will still be a GSBG, but there is absolutly no set date as to when I will return. But lo and behold, I'll be back! Again sorry for the "roller coaster ride" if you will. Thanks again for the loyalty!
Gregory Hovan - Webamster of GSBG
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  06:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

it might not be in my best interested to call it quits. I have indefinitly postponed the redesign, but I will return. I slept on it, and figured, I mind as well finish what I started.

There you go, I knew you would change your mind I was at that point once a few month ago when my computer crashed and I thought I had lost everything. A true die hard bus nut cant give up that easy. Thank god for that. I look forward to your next update. Im sure it will be great!
Robert

Edited by - 78fordwayne on 02/27/2005 07:00:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  07:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg, I've enjoyed your site for the last couple of years and I'm glad that you haven't completely given up on it. I don't have a website but I have a pretty good idea of the amount of hours all of you guys put into each of your sites. Each bus photo site is unique and I think that each site builder should gear his (or her...Buskid) site to his or her likes and dislikes. Ultimately you have to please yourself and not be all that concerned about what others think...although you don't want to turn your viewers off either.

My primary school bus related hobby has been building buses from poster board and other materials for the past few decades. Every once in awhile I take a long break or hiatus. Twice I've taken 15 month breaks. I think that a break is a good thing and helps prevent burnout. The main thing you want to avoid is having something you enjoy doing become WORK! If it's a hobby try to keep it as a hobby and NOT work. If my model bus building ever becomes just 'work'...then I will probably lose interest in it and sadly give up something that I once enjoyed. So I always try to keep it as a hobby and nothing more. I hope that all of the bus photo site guys first and foremost enjoy what they do and do not see it as work but rather as a pleasureable hobby, a hobby that the rest of us can share in and enjoy. At the same time, I think that we the viewers of these tremendous bus photo websites have to appreciate all of the effort that every single one of you puts into it and we should be very careful not to criticize what one does for a hobby.

Ted

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  09:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperiorGMC1963

I think that a break is a good thing and helps prevent burnout. The main thing you want to avoid is having something you enjoy doing become WORK! If it's a hobby try to keep it as a hobby and NOT work. If my model bus building ever becomes just 'work'...then I will probably lose interest in it and sadly give up something that I once enjoyed. So I always try to keep it as a hobby and nothing more. I hope that all of the bus photo site guys first and foremost enjoy what they do and do not see it as work but rather as a pleasureable hobby, a hobby that the rest of us can share in and enjoy. At the same time, I think that we the viewers of these tremendous bus photo websites have to appreciate all of the effort that every single one of you puts into it and we should be very careful not to criticize what one does for a hobby.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Ted. I've felt the strain a lot more in past months than I used to. When I started taking pictures of school buses and sharing them with others about nine or ten years ago, I didn't think much of it. It was about six years ago when others started to take an interest in the sharing of pictures that I started getting aggravated. Certain people came to expect regular updates to websites, and when you're providing a place to simply share your interest with others, the demands for regular updates don't settle very well. I continued taking pictures, however, so that I would be able to provide a monthly update. Time eventually took its toll, and the picture taking and website updating did become work. Right now, it still isn't fun for me.

Keeping a balance between my hobbies has been the only way that I've kept from completely burning-out, although I still feel it at times. Some people seem to live, sleep and dream school buses, but I can't be that way anymore. I've decided that during the process of rebuilding my own website, I'm going to make it an archive, or resource of sorts, rather than a website that is updated on a regular basis. Taking into consideration that its main purpose is to preserve the history of Crown Coach Corporation (and Gillig Brothers Built Buses/Gillig Corporation), it shouldn't hinder the website's overall purpose.

I still take pictures, of course. But sometimes, I can't find the enthusiasm that used to be there. Let me out in an open lot full of school buses, and I used to have a hay-day. Now, I don't even make the attempt to walk over to a school bus that's parked across from me to take a picture. I hope that others are able to keep a balance with their hobbies rather than going "all-school bus, all the time" as I once did. It really does bite you once you realize that you've had enough.

I apologize for straying from the original topic more than I probably should've. I just wanted to expand on what you said since it really is something that should be taken into consideration with any hobby.

Edited by - Buskid on 02/27/2005 09:49:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000