Bus Driver Bully?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  10:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Feb 5 2005
FOX CAROLINA
Devario Nesbit is a 14-year-old 8th grader at Mauldin Middle School. He plays sports and after school his parents say he is supposed to ride a bus with his sister Jazzmine to their friend's house. However, they say the bus driver is a bully.

Camille Nesbit, Devario's mother, says the driver will let Jazzmine on the bus, but won't let Devario ride and leaves him at school without transportation. She says it happened at least seven times.

"No one contacted me to say Devario has been left behind and given me a reason why," said Nesbit.

So the Nesbits sat down with school administrators and the bus driver's supervisor to talk about the problem and this is what she says they told her.

"The bus driver did not follow procedures and it was nothing that Devario has done," commented Nesbit.

All seemed well until the driver left Devario once again, Patrick Nesbit, Devario's father, says the latest incident happened last week.

"I'm a taxpayer so you're driving my bus to bring my son where he needs to go," said Patrick Nesbit.

They sent a letter to administrators and the driver's bus supervisor. It accuses the driver of screaming and forcing Devario to sit in a particular seat for no reason when he does ride the bus.

A spokesperson with the Greenville County School District informed FOX Carolina that they are aware of the situation and are working to resolve it. The spokesperson also says that as of Monday, February 7th, the bus driver will be switched to a different route.

"We have to be role models to children we're responsible and he's not going to be responsible then we don't need him as a driver," said Patrick Nesbit.

The Nesbits say switching the driver to a different route may solve their problem, but could cause trouble for another student.

Click Here for story

Click Here to find out The #1 reason some school buses are violent places

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  11:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the driver's perspective? Is Devario always ready to board the school bus on time? Does he follow all bus riding rules and respectful of the driver?

Go to Top of Page

CountGirl
Top Member

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  1:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. I'd like to know more about this story - way more. I'd like to know the driver's motivation/side also.

-Count

Give me a yellow object. Yes. Right now. I need my yellow chocolate, for goodness sake!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  08:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like EVERYBODY else is getting on the bus and going home just fine.

Driver problem? I think not.

OH...and to Nesbits...if you think you can do a better job...LET'S SEE IT!
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  10:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or do I get the sense that media is only covering the sensational part of a story without getting ALL the FACTS?

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  12:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is so important to maintain a good rapport with the school reporting staff of the local media. Reporters need to know they can call the transportation supervisor and, in a non-threatening manner to get the bottom of this type of story before their publishing deadlines.

In my experience, the reporter likely received a call from the parent and regurgitated her remarks in broadcast form, without taking the time to check with the driver, or the driver's supervisor. The media contact person in the main office was contacted and gave a response that implied that the driver was the problem. Typical response, too: problem? simply eliminate it by moving it!

Maybe JK will find one, but a follow-up clarification story is unlikely as well.

There is much more to know about how to interact with the media, but these types of stories always bother me because of their one-sidedness. I know there are missing facts that would likely place the transporter and the driver in a more positive light.

But what skeptic would read a story where the institution did its job and a patron of the institution was errant?

Edited by - John Farr on 02/07/2005 1:01:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  7:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like everyone noticed what I noticed about this story. It's so obvious that the press made little effort to fulfill basic reporting procedure - get at all the facts, Who, What, When, Where, How and sometimes Why. Part of the problem is the school administration threw some garbage into the mix, deliberately hid relevant facts or had no clue of the facts and pretended to be informed. This is where a smart bus driver has a personal injury attorney on retainer. A somewhat experienced lawyer could easily fire off a response that would shake the reporter's, the school district's and the parent's cages. Best guess, nice-guy bus driver wanted off that route - would rather switch than fight. And why not? How many people hire on to engage in battles with parents and their employer? Very few I would think. They expect decent treatment, and when not present then that certainly helps my claim that there is no school bus driver shortage in this country. (jk)

Click Here to find out The #1 reason school bus drivers quit

Edited by - JK on 02/07/2005 7:09:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  10:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the parents attitudes are a problem here as well; "I'm a taxpayer so you're driving my bus to bring my son where he needs to go," said Patrick Nesbit., survey says: ERRRR WRONG ANSWER. Just because you pay taxes doesn't mean you own it, or have control over it. In this district, sudents can only be picked up at, and dropped off at their assigned stop locations. They cannot be driven to freinds houses or get off ANYWHERE but where they are registerd to. This also applies to other students riding the wrong buses. They cannot arbitrarily switch buses whenever they want EVEN WITH a note from the parents. These are school buses, not a limo service. These policies are very strictly adhered to, and for good reason. One lost student and the whole system is in chaos. If you have kids going wherever they want, whenever they want, how can you keep track of any of them? I think the Nesbits are the primary contributor to the problem they claim to be experiencing. If you want a taxi, hire one.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

peil

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  8:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our district we allow parents to register their child(ren) for an AM bus and a PM bus. If they have an emergency, and it is their call whether it is an emergency, we will allow a change, provided there is prior approval. A note stating the nature of the emergency is requested for our files. Most parents are good, honest, and don't abuse the policy, but as with everything, some try. If we just receive a note, I call the parent to make sure they are aware of our policy, and to confirm that they wrote the note. I have received notes forged by students,imagine that. Most parents are understanding of our policy, but I have been accused of being rude and intimidating.

David Peil
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  09:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peil

... Most parents are understanding of our policy, but I have been accused of being rude and intimidating.

I would consider this a good sign you're doing what you are supposed to be doing. (jk)

Click Here to find out The #1 reason some school buses are violent places
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  10:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, in this business if you make someone mad, you are usually doing something right. That's the way it seems on some days!
Go to Top of Page

peil

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  8:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya. I always kid around that I have one of those jobs where I get to make people's lives miserable, and get paid to do it.

David Peil
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Top Member

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  7:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see a few problem's with this. The first is that the student's have permission to ride to a friend's house. Is this parental consent or written permission from the school? Our district policy is that if a student must ride another bus, the school personnel must send the ridership form to the driver before the bus leaves the school parking lot. If you do not have a signed consent form from the school YOU WILL BE LEFT AT SCHOOL! No If's, And's, or But's.

Another was the statement that the boy in question has to sit in an assigned seat for no reason. As a driver we do not have to provide a reason for assigning seats. At every school in this district a "Code Of Conduct" book is sent to every parent at the beginning of every school year. The frst rule and I am reading it right now states: Bus Driver Is Authorized To Assign Seats On Bus. That is RULE # 1!!!

So these parents are sadly mistaken that the driver does not have the authority to put this young man in a seat as he sees fit.

Ah Yes, the comment about I am a taxpayer so I own the bus. I have had this happen a few times. A parent said those same words to me and I told her I was a taxpayer too so I guess the bus belongs to me as much as it belongs to you, but the difference is I am driving it and you're NOT!!! That always got under their skin.

Anyway, this boy may be a complete monster on the bus and the school board should get the facts from all sides before they side with the parents to appease them.
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  8:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlueBird16

Ah Yes, the comment about I am a taxpayer so I own the bus. I have had this happen a few times. A parent said those same words to me and I told her I was a taxpayer too so I guess the bus belongs to me as much as it belongs to you, but the difference is I am driving it and you're NOT!!! That always got under their skin.

Good one! I'll have to remember that one if ever I'm in that situation!

Jim
Go to Top of Page

marty

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  04:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the words i hate to hear "i pay my taxes"

marty
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  2:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Irresponsible journalism.
Go to Top of Page

thewallfan

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  2:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or was he not let on the bus because he was late 7 times?

IC your CE
Go to Top of Page

coolbuskid

51 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  10:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thewallfan

or was he not let on the bus because he was late 7 times?

Maybe we could ask him... after six years, he should be finished with high school and have grown up by now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000