How many lights are too many ? ? ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RweThereYet

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  12:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read the recent article: LANSING, Mich. — State lawmakers are considering legislation that would add a new, lower level of bright flashing rear lights on new Michigan school buses.

It seems that pretty soon the school buses will resemble garbage trucks with flashing lights on every corner of the rig. You have to know what I'm talking about, those garnage truck that if you're within a 1/4 mile you can't see a thing anywhere near because of those blinding lights. Then they wonder why the general motoring public can't see the garbage man when he crosses the road right in front of them.

So, do you think another set (or two) of flashing lights will help the cause of the school bus and student safety?

Or better yet, how about just raising the fine nationwide for a 1st offense of passing a school to say $1000 and a 2nd offense $1500 with a 6 month license suspension.... ya, I think that might do the trick - - - well, maybe for a few.

Edited by - RweThereYet on 03/31/2012 12:45:25 PM

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  2:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's absurd to put those lights within eye level of a car. Going to be more of a NEGATIVE distraction in my opinion.

They'd be better off requiring a rear stop arm and LED warning lights. Both of those get plenty of attention and should accomplish the goals.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  5:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've posted this YouTube link before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye1btFN6XiY

I agree that additional lights should be unnecessary, however if they are tame 7" units like the bus in the video (but preferably stand-alone lights...not doubling as turn signals) then it would not be such a bad thing.

Sound Off also advertised a rectangular LED light for low mounting on school buses, but I cannot find those images anymore.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  08:04:05 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know this is a few days late, but If this is what I heard about it has to do with the to High school kids on the west side of state that slammed into the back of a bus and were killed about a year ago. Now supposedly they were not drinking,texting or any other reason except, they just couldn't see the bus setting there on a clear day and plowed into it. of course no one can hear their side of story now,

IMO, I don't think adding more lights to the back of a bus will make the other driver(s) pay attention to the road ahead of them any better. (bright yellow with black highlights and lots of lights already!!) I mean, I feel bad that two people died in that accident, but I don't believe it would have mattered if there would have been a farm tractor or semi truck in that same spot they still would have hit it. there are alot of ways to be distracted driving with out being on your phone

Edited by - slippert on 04/11/2012 08:09:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  12:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohio currently has 14 buses in the field with this feature tied to the warning light system. If the pilot program goes well, they will at least be an option if not required.

I've yet to see one in person...looking forward to it.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 04/11/2012 12:19:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  3:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a Columbus bus with lights like that on about a month ago, but unless I'm seeing a different bus, they took those LEDs off of it.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  11:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting...maybe it was decided to be a bad idea?
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  6:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought new Michigan buses were supposed to be equipped with led lighting anyway besides the warning lights? I just converted two of my buses to the strobing led warning lights and confirmed that you can see them from a mile away. Problem solved.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  2:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Interesting...maybe it was decided to be a bad idea?

I was wrong...it was a different bus I was seeing. The one still has the lights, and I discovered another the other day that had the lights on it.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  4:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also heard Akron Public was in the "Ohio additional lights" pilot program as well. I have yet to see the setup, post a pic if you can please 1983WardFord.
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  5:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, the only time I've been able to see them is while I'm on the road :( I'll see what I can do though.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000