09 IC with new emissions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starbus

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  06:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the 2009 Ic's with the Max Force engine with the new emissions. Is it true that when you run the regeneration process for cleaning the filter in the exaust the exaust temp coming out of the tail pipe is 1800 degrees and can melt the asphalt the bus is parked on?

Starbus

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  05:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What no IC mechs out there? I am sure classes were taught this summer and someone attended one of these classes on the new models that are out. One of my other conserns (I have not called the dealer yet)with the new IC is, I heard the tailpipe costs $7000. with so much scrap metal under a bus I might have to start worrying about theives.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  06:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...dont let the kids near it either....and wear 1000 sun block. and keep a fire extinguisher handy too.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

Starbus

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  09:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another question about the new emission's is.
How often typicly would the emission light come and you have to run the regeneration?
How often between the stages do you have before you have to run the regeneration?
Is this regeneration process really safe?
Go to Top of Page

Craig Thoricht

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  11:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a good deal of "misinformation" floating around about this issue.
The "POTENTIAL" I stress"POTENTIAL" exhaust temps can approach 1200 F. The process is totally controlled by the ECM. I want to say again "Potential" in case you missed what I was saying. Our experience with Caterpillar has been that there are brief episodes of regeneration, however we have not yet seen the extended "burn" that is a concern.
Navistar did have a problem with the diesels that were sold to Ford for pick up use and those were recalled because flames were shooting out the tailpipes. Those problems have been addressed.
The law of the land is clean air and the manufacturers are using similar processes to keep the soot contained. The process is as safe as can be given that this is new technology and this equipment is mandatory.

Regards-
Craig

Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  7:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To answer your questions Starbus, NO, it absolutely CANNOT reach 1200*F tailpipe temperatures, or even exhaust pipe temperatures.

During normal driving, the exhaust temperatures will be more than high enough to burn off the soot particles in the DPF unless the engine has run on a significant amount of LSD or #2D fuel (NON-ULSD types). The only other real factor is idle time. Allowing the engine to idle needlessly WILL increase the need for regeneration, both passive and active.

Passive regeneration occurs NATURALLY with high engine loads and modest road speeds (over about 45 MPH), and DOES NOT increase exhaust temperatures in any way over older vehicles.

Active regeneration is either operator/technician activated (by the "Parked Regen" switch, or by the ECM when it detects excessive idling has occured and the DPF is filling with soot and there will likely not be any driver inputs (there has not been recently). During ACTIVE regeneration, it is *possible* that exhaust temperatures on a parked vehicle sould be the same as a similar vehicle under WOT full-load conditions - which is high, around 650*F at the pipe. The eifference now is that these hotter temps *can occur* while the vehicle is PARKED or at very low speed. Previously, these higher EGTs were only possible at rated power under full-load conditions, and that is mostly on the highway.

I agree with Craig, there is a LOT of "misinformation" about the 2007 up EPA emissions compliant engines, but there is also a very significant amount of DISinformation, and I feel that is the bigger problem - trying to scare people.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Starbus

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  05:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The information I got is from a neighboring bus garage when went to show off my new bus. Yes, he put the scare factor in new buses and their emissions.
I just wanted to find out if his information was true.
Thanks for the reply's and information.
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  4:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a few pieces of information for everyone. im not arguing im just stating my expierence.
the exhaust temps can reach 1200 degrees during regeneration. although the difusser at the end of the exhaust system mixes outside air with it dropping it to around 650. if you are in an unappropiate place ie grass field or in the school lot you would not want to do a parked regen. it will only let you do a parked regen if it has a dpf light on and several conditions are met. there is an inhibit switch will also keep it from regenerating while driving if you should not want it. if you fail to regenerate it when warned in level 1, 2, or 3 it will go to level 4 and derate. at this point you will need to bring it to the dealer so do not wait for a level 4 warning.
as mod stated anything other then ulsd is a big no no. long idle periods and short city routes are also issues. in new england we are hearing of every brand having much sooner then expected regenerations required with the above conditions. had a new cutaway gm 5500 out the other night with 1600 miles on it and the regen light came on.
as for the price the whole system can be in the 7k range not just the tail pipe. im sure the diffuser has some cost to it but not that much.

i recomend all that have them to spend a few minutes and educate yourself to the information card or roof sticker that came with the vehicle. the system is very safe and reliable but only works as good as it is operated.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000