Well, I've done it again...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  05:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My traffic signal collection just exploded.

Exponentially.

(and quite possibly the beginnings of a money-making opportunity!)

Last Thursday I received an e-mail I've been waiting on for a month. Was a bid on a pile of surplus traffic lights from a Puyallup-based electrical contractor whose primary business is installing and maintaining traffic signal and roadway lighting installs in Pierce County.

Let's just say that over the next month or so, I will be acquiring over two dozen traffic signals, perhaps as many as two and a half to three dozen.

A lot of them are standard 12" signal heads in standard RYG configurations, but a few are different in the fact that they have arrow lenses, and there's two that are optically programmable like my 3M (built by McCain).

In addition, I'm acquiring close to two dozen pedestrian crosswalk signals.

Photos to come shortly!!

And FWIW, here's what I have so far:

(4) - 3M Model 131 HVS heads. Three yellow, one black, all with yellow or black visors. (and an assortment of 3M lenses to boot)

(1) - 3M Model 131 HVS written command pedestrian signal. Yellow with black visors and AstroBrac mounts

(1) - 12" RYG Automatic Signal/Eagle Signal MarkIV head with all incandescent indications.

(2) - 8" Econolite Shortgroove signals, all RYG, one with full incandescent indications, the other with Dialight/Lumileds incandescent-like LED modules in the red and green indications. Painted dark green (one restored, the other original)

(1) - LFE/Automatic Signal 8" RYG head (painted dark green) with 3M Model 130 8" PV adapters. 3M adapters painted flat black with green left turn arrow, red and yellow ball lenses.

(1) - Crouse Hinds Type M RYG head with louvered green indication, Dialight/Lumileds incandescent-like LED modules in the red and green indications and a yellow incandescent. Has a "NO LEFT TURN" sign attached.

(1) - ICC Incandescent ITE Hand/Man pedestrian signal with eggcrate visors. Original condition.

(1) - Econolite shortgroove single-section. Awaiting 2 Econolite 12" bullseye round-door parts to become a 12-8-12.

And this is what I'm picking up Tuesday barring any technical difficulties don't strike.

(1) - McCain Programmable Visibility head with all left-turn arrows. (and a 2-section McCain head to rebuild the broken RYG unit). Another complete RYG McCain PV signal is tentative.

(1) - Marbelite 12" RYG GA<- head.

(1) - LFE 12" RYG head

(1) - Econolite square-door 12" RYG

(1) - Econolite 12" RYG buttonback signal head.

(1) - 12" Singer doghouse

(1) - One LFE 12" Doghouse

(1) - Eagle 12" RYG flatback with left turn arrows ca the early 1960s.

On top of this is the remainder of the scrap pile, which will be picked up in successive visits.

And these are from the city of Seattle, recently pulled and waiting my pickup.

(1) - (possibly 2) Econolite 8-inch Shortgroove RYG signals. Dialight/Lumileds incandescent-like LED modules in the red and green indications with yellow incandescent indications. Cutaway visors and 5" backplates

(1) Econolite 12" 2-section written command pedestrian signal

(1) ICC neon written command pedestrian signal with a dual-volt 7500/4000 volt transformer.

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  02:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the pix of the first haul. Was unable to bring some of it home due to space constraints.

Also, it looks like the McCain Programmable Visibility units had never been used. There's hardly any defects in the paint, and one of them (the parts donor) had a lens that still had its protective wrap on it.

The McCain PV parts donor.

Also found out that you can only fit so many of these in the back seat of a Taurus! Only three heads here, a McCain PV unit, an Econolite "Bullseye" signal laid down on its lenses, and an Eagle flatback signal with backplate.

The Singer doghouse and a set of 12" signal louvers for primitive lane limiting control. That Singer doghouse signal took up the entire trunk, and I had to fold down my back seat for it to sit in there so I could fully close the trunk.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  06:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Northern Tool sells DIY trailers. Just get one, put it together and pile it full of signals.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  03:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some more pix of the McCain and the Econolite. The Singer and the Eagle are still in the car (haven't taken them out yet).

The McCain, as I had suspected, had never seen street service. Aside from some scratches that it encountered in the attic where I got it, and from hauling it in my car, it's largely blemish free. The lenses have no defects whatsoever and all mounting surfaces show no sign of any hardware having been attached to it.

The Econolite needs some minor TLC, and I'm thinking about repainting it. I have an extra 12" Econolite Bullseye squaredoor section in the trunk of the SHO I'm thinking on attaching to this one, and then installing a fiber optic bimodal arrow indication to mage this one a RYG YG<- inline-4 head.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  2:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Steve, I didn't know Econolite made a round body signal like GE once did. And good job finding a mint PV signal. What a nice example of government waste though, if it was never put into service. Ugh!

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  02:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's more photos!

Oh, and Mike, this wasn't a government agency. It was a private contractor.

This is a group shot. Not sure if I plan on keeping the Singer just yet. If I can locate the parts I need, I'll keep it.

This is the Singer, and the photos illustrate the damage this signal has incurred over the years.

The Eagle flatback. The bottom to the backplate is in my car, still. I've thoroughly cleaned all the signals now. Found a bees' nest in the Eagle!

Go to Top of Page

WallyG
Advanced Member

United States
255 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  03:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What sort of market is there for this stuff?
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  3:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh you would be amazed.

Singer...like the sewing machine company or what?
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  7:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Oh you would be amazed.

Singer...like the sewing machine company or what?

Yep. The *extact same* company.

The logo on the backside of the Singer doghouse is the exact same as that used by Singer today.

As for the market? There's a hefty market for these. They're often bought by collectors (like myself), or people who want to add a nice touch to a garage, rec room, or a den.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  04:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About what years did Singer produce traffic signals?

This thread makes me miss the old light I had hanging on the farm I lived on, complete with a sequencer board...people gave me more compliments on that old thing...and sales offers!

Just one of the three antiques on display. Traffic signal, pepsi machine, IHC/Carpenter school bus still in service at that time!

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 04/04/2009 04:44:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  04:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think Singer produced traffic signals sometime around the '60s and '70s. Don't know exactly when they ceased production, but from what I can tell the logo of the company hasn't changed one iota since then. It'd be interesting to find out.

One thing I have noticed about Singer traffic signals is that they're extremely heavy, but unlike their sewing machines (which usually stand up to the test of time), their traffic signals don't hold up well at all. They're very susceptible to aluminium corrosion issues and paint peeling. I'm having to JB Weld the hell out of two sections because they've corroded so bad.

From what I gather, the doghouse signal I have served downtown Tacoma and was pulled about five years ago. Was used as a temporary signal.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000