School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 What Kinds of Projects During the Corona Shutdown?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  08:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a one man show here and wanting to make the best of my time. Are any of you committing to any large projects during this shutdown? Or are you just doing basics until we know how long we'll be down. Right now, myself and the drivers are cleaning buses (between rain showers). When that's over I'm cleaning my shop and doing some basic small repairs/ maintenance to the buses I have here. What is everyone doing?

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  08:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I`m in Ohio. We are a two man show here. We are getting buses ready for our next annual inspection.The inspections have been suspended for now but our inspectors are trying to get permission to continue as many bus garages in our area are still working. Also catching up on larger projects that we could`t get to with the fleet running.
Go to Top of Page

aaronthemech

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  09:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Upper Left USA with a 3 man shop and we are getting caught up on medium sized projects (left rear calipers on the air disk BBirds, few radiators, egr port cleaning and regens on the ISB's,injectors on maxx force, ect) until we see what this will look like for time. We may end up with time off for a while.

-Aaron-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  10:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaronthemech

I'm in Upper Left USA with a 3 man shop and we are getting caught up on medium sized projects (left rear calipers on the air disk BBirds, few radiators, egr port cleaning and regens on the ISB's,injectors on maxx force, ect) until we see what this will look like for time. We may end up with time off for a while.

Yeah, we may end up being off until August.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  10:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We close the doors tomorrow and are not to return any sooner than April 12th. Unless we order 3 engines and replace them. I kind of look for school not to start back up this year. Base solely on my speculation

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  12:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been told not to expect to be running again until sept in Alberta. Sorting out pay, we are all mom n pop independent contractors in our area. There is a provision on the contract for cancellation pay, board appears to be waffling on that.
We almost bought a new bus last week, to replace our old spare. The project will be getting it ready for inspection. Spring bushings, exhaust, a small hole in the body and a rusted out rub rail. Yippee!
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  12:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i am in nj three man shop we are cleaning all the buses and the shop we are shutting down tomarrow until who nows when we have to play by ear
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  1:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

We close the doors tomorrow and are not to return any sooner than April 12th. Unless we order 3 engines and replace them. I kind of look for school not to start back up this year. Base solely on my speculation

LOL, I want pics of the cobwebs when you return!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  05:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We are up and running around 30 buses for food services and Wi-Fi for E-Learning days. getting rest of fleet ready for inspection.
Each bus has two transportation people and one teacher or other staff as needed.
Our school board decided everyone get the minimum pay they would normally receive for routs and hourly personal. We can use sick pay as vacation pay if we want.
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  07:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohio inspectors in our area have been cleared to inspect buses if shops are open, so we will be getting the rest of our fleet inspected for next year. We are also running 5 buses and 3 trucks for food delivery. We're only working one or two guys at a time and keeping everyone separated as much as possible in the shop. No big two-man jobs right now like radiators, etc. Drivers are cleaning their bus by appointment.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  10:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, All,

Thanks, Bryan, for posing this question in the forum. We’d like to hear from you all a bit further on this topic, possibly for a short news story. Please let me know if you’d be interested in providing feedback on what your maintenance shop is currently doing during the COVID-19 school closures – are you prepping for inspections, cleaning buses, etc. Send us an email at info@schoolbusfleet.com. Thanks so much for your help, and hope you all are staying safe out there.
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  10:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to say im jealous of you all that work with a handful of people , I work at facility with roughly 50 people on my shift alone and 50 more for night shift in the same building seems like with a large work environment its inevitable someone I work with will get it , and as for now no word on any shutting down .Were out of work on busses , today just organized our parts stash from old repairs and what not .
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  2:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We are shut down till April 27th . There is myself and a mechanics helper We are told we most do some "meaningful work" to get paid if you are anything other than transportation , maintenance , or food service .I have 3 complete brake jobs , one that will need kingpins and I have a bus we haven't used all year with no start issues . Also we recieved a grant and are installing switches that apply and release the park brakes .The good thing is we are getting to take some needed time off and using support vehicless to deliver homework and food .That way the drivers can get paid .

Edited by - valleybusman on 03/20/2020 2:33:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  6:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found out over the weekend that I will only return a few days before the drivers do. Everything is pretty fluid right now. In my 26 years, I've never seen anything like this. Good luck to all and stay healthy!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  12:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pulling DPF's to be sent out for a bake, relocating and adjusting camera systems installed by the dealer, making improvements to the shop, and helping out the sole facilities guy left on campus. Mostly the latter. Another month of this and I might try for my contractors license. :D

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  09:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working for a Bird dealer, we are still servicing vehicles, and doing NYS DOT inspections. BUT! I have decided to stay home as i am only a delivery driver and am too young to die. LOL :)

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  04:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea cleaning all the DPF's. Throw valve adjustments in on that. 2 things that we never find the time to do until its to late.

We are designing a driver shield for the dialaride buses. This will be a swing away lexan shield to protect the drivers from passenger contamination while entering and exiting the buses. Seeing as the yellow stuff is parked for a while. we hope to make it universal and have kits available to others soon.
Be safe all. from the lovely Connecticut hot spot. Ronnie

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Jbardin

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  10:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Jbardin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am the lone wolf mechanic for our district here in Texas.
We are still feeding kids via bus routes. We are not working a full shift, but I am thankful for our Administration for keeping us paid.
We received some new buses, so that will help on my repairs.
Everyone keep safe, and thank you for what you do.

James Bardin
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2020 :  04:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
working 40 hrs currently rebuilding front ends on all our type A's for inspection if that is ever gonna happen
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  10:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going back to part time tomorrow. Should be interesting. I'm the lone wolf so I won't see anyone except the head custodian.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back 2 days a week here. IH RE rear suspension bushings and a diff in a RE Bird. I'm grateful for the chance to get on some of these projects before summer.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  10:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to work we are.5-4-2020 Not much to do since school is out for the rest of the school year.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000