Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  10:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which cell phone carrier do you use, and what phone do you have?

I just switched the other day from Nextel to Verizon, and got a Samsung camera/video phone with it. So far, I'm very impressed with the service I'm getting with Verizon, much more reliable. BUT, I'm going to miss Nextel's direct connect.

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  10:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nextel, i88s
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  10:53:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have Cingular wireless with a Samsung X-427 GSM phone. You'd think that all wireless carriers would work in a flat state like Florida..think again! I get horrible service here. Once my contract ends in Feb 2006 I'm going with Verizon.
Go to Top of Page

skoolbus

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  12:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nextel service and a Motorola i1000 plus.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  1:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Which cell phone carrier do you use, and what phone do you have?

I just switched the other day from Nextel to Verizon, and got a Samsung camera/video phone with it. So far, I'm very impressed with the service I'm getting with Verizon, much more reliable. BUT, I'm going to miss Nextel's direct connect.

I think we have the same phone Rich! I too have Verizon and have the Samsung carmera/video phone. SCH-a670 I think it is. The service here is pretty darm good, and I havent had any troubles.
Greg
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  3:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have T-Mobile, The service is alright, Hopefully this weekend I will be switching to Verizon. I have a Motorolla V300 as seen in the picture. I paid $300 for it just 7 months ago, and now it is down to $49.99 I usually upgrade my phone every 6 months, so this is a long time for me! They are charging me WAY too much, I pay close to $200 a month jsut for myself out of my own money, my parents won't pay!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  7:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Provider: Alltel, Phone: Motorola V60i

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  7:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use U.S. Cellular and my phone is an Audiovox Camera/flip phone
Go to Top of Page

kentuckynascar1
Advanced Member

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  7:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an AT&Tingular (that's what I call AT&T after the merger with Cingular) go phone with a Nokia 3390, but will upgrade it later next month. I love it, no roaming charges, no expensive per minute charges if you use up all the alloted mins, and no contract!!!
Go to Top of Page

BBAllAmericanRE
Advanced Member

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  8:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBAllAmericanRE's Homepage  Send BBAllAmericanRE an AOL message  Click to see BBAllAmericanRE's MSN Messenger address  Send BBAllAmericanRE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have Nextel... Motorolla i205.

-Ty-

Edited by - BBAllAmericanRE on 02/27/2005 4:19:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  9:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a LG phone and Cingular service. Im very happy with the phone but not happy with Cingular. They keep over charging me for every thing.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  10:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have T-Mobile. They're slogan should be "Get less." I don't get good reception on my phone. But I guess it's b/c I got it at Wichita Falls, TX (Sheppard AFB). I'll swithch my area code later on to 702 and see if that will change. A couple of other people I know didn't like T-Mobile, but it depends on where you are. Maybe T-Mobile is great!! But like most of you, my cell phone bill is high, lol!! I have a Motorolla phone, I forgot the model. When I bought it at the Base Exchange Mall on base, I paid $139 (b/c of my credit-regular price is $169). When I went to the "Sikes Senter Mall" one weekend, I saw the same phone for $99.99 at a T-Moblie stand, what a rip off!! I bought it through Cellular City on base who is contracted by AAFES.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/

Edited by - SchoolBusFan on 01/27/2005 7:53:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

grandham314

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  4:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Send grandham314 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have LG phone with Cingular, since ATT&T and Cingular have become one i have noticed that the service is better, i had to have the phone replaced once due to a manufacturing error. People here at my school tell me that verizon works great everywhere but here, in Fitchburg, MA.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  4:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a cell phone. My mom has AT&T. Her phone is a Nokia. I did have a trac phone, but I never did get it hooked up. I took it back to the store (over a year later) with it still being in the package.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  7:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Cingular I have a camera phone but it not beside me to know what kind I think it's motorolla.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  1:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Samsung X426 on AT&T Wireless (OK, Signal-less. Their motto: No bars in more places!).
The only way I can usually contact anybody on it is to throw the phone at 'em. All my friends on AT&T have the same problem.
Long distance calls can be hard on the arms and incoming calls from other AT&T customers can be a real b***h.

Sure! I'll pick your kid up closer to the house... Widen your front door!

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"

Edited by - YardBird on 01/30/2005 1:09:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  3:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, technology making our lives better. I'll tell you what makes a crappy day great: when someone can call and bother you even when you're not home. And, fools that we are, we believe all of the lies that they tell us. "Free... good reception... no extra charges..." LIES! It's all lies! Do yourselves a favor and throw your cell phones in the river.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  06:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Verizon Wireless. I think I pay about 34.99 a month and I get 400 anytime minutes (wish it was 600) and free weekends and nights after 9. I don't seem to have any problems with the phone. My last cell phone ended up in a bowl of water! The one I have now is just the basic flip/flop phone. I just like to keep it on me in case my 2/way radio wasn't working.
Go to Top of Page

lsmith

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  08:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still in the dark ages! - I still use a Nokia Trac fone--works for me since I am not really a phone talker. I only have it for emergencys basically
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  4:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm...no...I am in the dark ages...I DO NOT HAVE A CELL PHONE!

Oh, that's right...I SAID IT!

*I also do not want one*
Go to Top of Page

Bri98-87
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  3:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Bri98-87 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nextel i730
Go to Top of Page

BBAllAmericanRE
Advanced Member

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  4:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBAllAmericanRE's Homepage  Send BBAllAmericanRE an AOL message  Click to see BBAllAmericanRE's MSN Messenger address  Send BBAllAmericanRE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBAllAmericanRE

I have Nextel... Motorolla i205.

Update .... I got a new i730 back in January

-Ty-
Go to Top of Page

scottyd
Advanced Member

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  4:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Send scottyd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nextel--i530

Scott
Driving America's Future
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  8:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

I have T-Mobile, The service is alright, Hopefully this weekend I will be switching to Verizon. I have a Motorolla V300 as seen in the picture. I paid $300 for it just 7 months ago, and now it is down to $49.99 I usually upgrade my phone every 6 months, so this is a long time for me! They are charging me WAY too much, I pay close to $200 a month jsut for myself out of my own money, my parents won't pay!

Same phone I've got!! I bought it for $139 at the BX on base and then saw it at the mall a week later for $99. My "blue" display (when you open the phone or when the caller's name shows up) is messed up. I can see the top and bottom of the letters, but the middle looks all messed up and scrambled up. I don't even use the phone much and it still wore out.

Edited by - SchoolBusFan on 02/27/2005 8:26:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  5:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had the manufacturor replace it 3 times, if you have had it less than a year they will replace it. The service is terrible, although I am noticing that it is getting better in some places. I will be switching to Verizon when my contract expires on June 21

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  7:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't like T-Mobile either. Serivce, Can't really get it where I use it most. I might switch to Verizon or Cingular (in September). I'm glad I got a one year contract.
Go to Top of Page

Tmac0384
Advanced Member

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  3:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tmac0384's Homepage  Send Tmac0384 an AOL message  Send Tmac0384 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
sprint service sanyo v4500

sometimes older is way better than new.

some photos of mine: http://community.webshots.com/user/Bus213
(it's a work in progress... tons of photos to come!)
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  4:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a new phone a couple of months, and I forgot to post about it. So here it is...

LG VX8100

Comes with a 1.3 megapixel camera/camcorder, MP3 player, Bluetooth, and all of that good stuff. It's a really great phone, and I love my Bluetooth headset! Verizon's VCast service is also a plus!

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  7:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lg4650 it is not what i want right now

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 04/29/2006 7:08:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  7:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In June I did end of getting the Samsung SCH a890 from Verizon, a GREAT phone, and well worth the $300!

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  4:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I plan on going with a Nokia 6102 camera phone in the not too distant future.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  5:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter

Ah, technology making our lives better. I'll tell you what makes a crappy day great: when someone can call and bother you even when you're not home. And, fools that we are, we believe all of the lies that they tell us. "Free... good reception... no extra charges..." LIES! It's all lies! Do yourselves a favor and throw your cell phones in the river.

I sort of agree with you there, however I will always keep mine because of the added safety in an emergency. On the occasion I've encountered a deer head on, I like the comfort of knowing that I don't have to hike a mile to call for help. Also, if anything happens to my bus out on the road, I'd prefer to stay with it when getting help. I also do like the convenience of being able to call mom or dad to coordinate plans, but I can agree that sometimes I just do not want to be bothered! Thank goodness they have caller ID and a vibrate feature... I don't want anyone but me to know I have a call, and I want to know ahead of time if I really must answer it.

As for the original question, I have Cingular service (may switch to Altell sometime in the future), but I couldn't tell you what type of cell phone I have. That's just how little I care . By golly, it took me at least three months to figure out how to get a normal ringer! I wanted a normal ring, not any ugly song or sounds. (But even then, it's still not the old style ring.)

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  7:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i have Sprint, been very happy w/ it. good coverage, here @ home, & when traveling. have Samsung phone. love the phone, but after 2 & 1/2 yrs of abuse, it's getting cracks in the body, & is missing a chunk. that's w/ a cover for protection folks! have to get new phone soon, i guess.

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  06:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I got a new phone a few months back, finally getting rid of my craptastic Cingular service, LOL! I switched to Verizon and they are SOOO much better than Cingular its not even funny. No more dropped calls and much better reception.

The phone is an LG VX-5200. Its a camara phone which IMO is pretty useless since the picture quality is poor. But other than that its a great phone. I would have liked a Nokia clamshell if it had been available. I loved my old Nokias from back on the day but I only like clamshells now and Verizon didn't offer one when I signed up.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  2:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Verizon is one big headache to deal with in the stores but the service is good. You just can't deal with them with one head. You have to be very demanding and go to the manager and if you have to, make a scene.

I had a phone, that broke and kept on breaking. The rude manager said to me that my phone was working. My display was NOT working. He told me that's why I had the "Driving mode feature" so I could talk to my phone. He was basically telling me that my phone was FINE even though I could not see any numbers on it, nor the time, and that I should just use the voice automated system. I called him some nasty words-made a scene- told everyone in the store that their customer service and manager skd (because it did), called and complained, got a brand new phone and six months free. Now when I go in there I get what I want.

I like Verizon but sometimes you have to be pushy. You are paying for THE PHONE and the service. So don't let them push you around. Serveral complaints have been issued to that store.

But besides that, the phone service is good.

PS: this is not true of all verizon stores, some are great, and I didn't make a scene until the so called manager was being a jerk. It took him ten minutes to come out of his office, and his attitude was like a rotten potatoe- What he seemed to forget was that I am paying for their service, they are not paying me.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 05/03/2006 2:48:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

VisionBird

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  6:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit VisionBird's Homepage  Send VisionBird an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sprint/Samsung SPH-a560

-Jacob L.
Proud Rider of Bus 379, a 2004 Thomas Freightliner with Mercedes Engine!
http://www.rpmtunersracing.net
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000