Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 old chevy bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  3:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on this bus the studs for the axle on the drivers side are broke
I went to loosen them and they just started falling off...Very odd!

Anyways I have to replace atleast 5 of them..I will probally replace all of them once I figure out Which direction im going...
The deal is I cant pull the axle out like I an on my internationals, someone told me I had a keeper in the gearbox but This isnt like the chevy rear ends It does not have the pan in the back to remove..

if anyone has any ideas please let me know... It is a 86 wayne bus with a general motors engine.. I think it is atleast a 2 ton

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  04:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
Are you talking about AXLE flange studs or wheel studs?? If it's wheel studs, what kind of wheels?
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  05:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
axle flange studs, sorry...
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  07:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are we talking about a full size c50 or something?

Either way, all full floating axle shafts are retained by the flange bolts, and there is NO clip inside the diff. If it has those damned lock wedges on the flanges, then lots of penetrating oil and hammering await you.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  09:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like he said, oil it up and get your sledge and pound on the axle, HARD! It will eventually come out, but you'll swear it won't, several times, before it finally does!
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  10:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I will be doing just that.....What would cause those axle studs to break like that?
Go to Top of Page

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  10:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why would the axle flange studs break off like this? Any Ideas? Just dont tell me because the rear end is going bad...:)
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  10:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rust, being improperly torqued.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  05:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isnt there a tool for those #%$%@$ things? besides the rock hammer?

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

Craig Thoricht

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  03:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What causes those studs to break is they were improperly torqued the last time it was apart. There is a tool available from Keine Diesel Accessories. It's called a K-1280 Axle Removal Tool. It's NOT cheap but you will never change a smashed wheel stud again and those aggravating tapered cones pop right out. The first time I used this I couldn't believe my eyes at how well it worked.
WWW.keinediesel.com
They also have some very interesting other tools that if you can afford you ought to look at.

Craig Thoricht
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000