Bus Riding Distance?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  7:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What is the distance students have to live away from school to ride the school bus in your district?

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  7:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here in Clark County it's currently 2 miles exactly with no exceptions. Even if you live 1.9 miles away, they can't ride the bus. They were going to make the distance for high school students 3 miles, and another proposed plan was to make the high school students ride CAT buses (Citizens Area Transit, local city bus system).

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

SOS
Advanced Member

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  12:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are a rural district there are no sidewalks nor shoulders adjoining our roads. We transport from as close as next door to, in front of, or behind schools, to protect our students from traffic. I know for some of you this probably sounds pretty wild however, without the protection of a safe place to walk this is necessary for the safety of the students in our district.

You gotta Love em' to Carry em'

Edited by - SOS on 03/06/2004 02:23:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carpenter
Advanced Member

238 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  08:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Carpenter an AOL message  Send Carpenter an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Two miles by road from the point where their driveway meets the road to the school property. Constantly re-evaluated as new construction reduced distances.

UNLAWFUL TO PASS WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH
Go to Top of Page

72Corsair
Top Member

USA
698 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  2:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1.5 Miles i think here.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  3:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mlkdrives41

I take everybody else's kids home and have to figure out how to get my son to and from school because he can't ride the bus.

Why can't your son ride with you?

Back to the topic now. I don't know what the distance is here.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

CrownBus1
Top Member

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  4:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elementary School- 3/4 miles
Middle School- 1.5 miles
High School- 2 miles
Though they do not really measure them very carefully. Some people definitely have to walk more than 2 miles, while others that are supposed to walk get to ride the bus.

Bus 1
1985 Crown
Go to Top of Page

largebus
Advanced Member

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  07:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit largebus's Homepage  Send largebus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
New York state law mandates transportation for all K-6th graders who live over two miles and all 9-12th graders over 3 miles, excluding the "Big 5" City School Districts. Transportation is required under the distance if there is a dangerous situation between the child's home and the school, and there is a 15 mile MAX limit (which to my knowledge I know of no district that applies to). My own district buses all students but we are still somewhat rural and also have several dangerous crossings in our village. Among the other districts in our country, there are 4 or 5 others like us that bus all, most others have a 1-2 mile walking limit for middle & high schoolers. Only one district follows the legal limits and that is a very compact suburban district. Any change in walking limits requires voter approval under NYS law.

Logan C. Geen
Future Superintendent of Schools
Go to Top of Page

Skip

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  10:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
largebus, were did you get your info on the two and three mile pick up's. And the fifteen mile max limit, Are you saying a district can't pickup student's farther that fifteen miles from the school
Go to Top of Page

largebus
Advanced Member

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  5:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit largebus's Homepage  Send largebus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Skip,
The official info is located here: http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/mgtserv/General%20Intro.PDF and other information may be found here: http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/mgtserv/ptransho.htm . This is the official laws in NYS concerning transportation. This excerpt here: "Boards of Education of non-city school districts are required by Education Law to provide transportation for all eligible resident pupils in grades K-8 who live more than two miles from school and for pupils in grades 9-12 who live more than three miles from school, up to a distance of 15 miles. However, just about all school districts, with the approval of the voters, have adopted eligibility distances of less than the mandated two and three mile distances. Any changes to a district's eligibility distances, in both small city and non-city districts, require voter approval of a separate proposition."

Re the 15 mile limit, yes in theory 15 miles is the max limit (in other words, students over 15 miles away would not be guranteed bus transportation). However, I don't know of any situation anywhere in the state (even in the North Country) of students living farther than 15 miles from their school. And even if that situation were to exist, it is possible to adjust the pickup distance, as described above.

Hope this helps.

Logan C. Geen
Future Superintendent of Schools

Edited by - largebus on 01/26/2004 5:21:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  11:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm 15 minutes away from my high school.

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net
Go to Top of Page

no3foreternity

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  11:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Anchorage Alaska, the distance is currently 1.5 miles unles there are any hazardous situations such as a major four lane roadway between the school and the students residence.

I say "Good Morning" and call them by name,and in return I'm told the same,they go sit down and think of a rule to break,but are quickly subdued when warned of the actions I'll take. They've learned to follow the rules can be safe and can be fun........and after the high schoolers it will be the elementary run!
Go to Top of Page

FirstStudentKid

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  4:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my area, the school authorized busing distance is 1.5 miles for grade and high school students. First Student also allows passengers who live from 0.5-1.5 miles to pay $180 per year to ride. Also, students may apply for a minor financial re-imbursement if they have to walk to school through a certified "dangerous" route (examples: bridges, busy intersections, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Vista

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  6:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Thomas Vista an AOL message  Send Thomas Vista an ICQ Message  Click to see Thomas Vista's MSN Messenger address  Send Thomas Vista a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusFan

Here in Clark County it's currently 2 miles exactly with no exceptions. Even if you live 1.9 miles away, they can't ride the bus. They were going to make the distance for high school students 3 miles, and another proposed plan was to make the high school students ride CAT buses (Citizens Area Transit, local city bus system).

It's exactly the same here in Palm Beach County.

Thomas Vista; A view of solid student transportation.

Palm Beach District Schools
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000