bus speed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chilly0302@copper.net

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  8:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently my church purchased 2 school buses for the church use. They happen to be gas burner which is not the best. They are 1988 and 1990 bluebirds. The 1988 has a 7.4 liter engine. when you try to accelerate it fell like the linkage is broken. I had to play with the choke and it finally got going, but, it only got up to 60 down hill and drops to 40 or 35 up hill. I fell like the governor has kicked in. If this is the case, how do I remove the governor to get more speed or power? If it's another problem, I will be grateful for your assistance.

Thanks,
Dock

KMM
Advanced Member

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  06:42:16 AM  Show Profile  Send KMM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that the gasoline engines have no where near the power that a diesel will have. The vehicle probably has a weight of around 28,000+ pounds empty (or 14 tons) so you are not going to have a speedy vehicle on hand. Depending on which state you are in, the speed limit will not exceed 55 mph so 60 is plenty of downhill speed. Have patience with your gasoline engine. I think it is doing the best job it can for you.
Go to Top of Page

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  09:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep- gasoline burners are not the best. I love their sound, though! You can hear the tranny whine so well with a gasoline burner. My church has 6 gasoliners, but with each new bus purchase, a diesel replaces one, which is best.

Because of the engine being gasoline, it is a good idea to keep a watchful eye on the oil level. Do not let it get more than a quart low! Remember, these engines are having to work harder to do what a diesel can do easily. In fact, I say 60 m.p.h. is as fast as you should ever go. You do not want to break a rod or swallow a valve, then you have to rebuild the motor, and the parts for gasoline burners are getting fairly rare, and I speak from experience. Bottom line- DO NOT PUSH THE ENGINE'S LIMITS. If it sounds like a rocket about to launch into space, back off the gas pedal so it won't overheat and blow the engine.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  8:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, I know what you mean. It does sound like the engine is goverered down, but don't look at that as someone being a jerk, it was done probably to save the engine. Some of these drivers will get in a bus and think to themselves, "Hey, it isn't mine, so who cares," and then put the petal on the floor.

As a church mechanic, I would say that your bus could go faster, and if I knew the driver of that bus would be easy on the engine, i.e. not try to go 75 m.p.h. with it, I would turn the speed up a little.

We have a 1991 Chevy with a 366 with T.B.I. and a 2 speed axle that will move. I mean you can push the pedal down 1/4 of the way and it will go 70 and the engine is barely making any noise. But it will also go 80 with the pedal all the way down, and no gas engine will take that kind of abuse for long.

Another thing, has all the filters been changed??? How about the plugs and wires? Maybe a fuel additive will help. Check the choke linkage. Maybe use some carb cleaner or top engine cleaner and spray all the linkage on the outside of the carb with some WD40. A fuel filter and fuel pump going bad can cause speed problems. Are you pushing down the gas pedal when you pull out the choke? You can mess up the linkage if you aren't. Is this an automatic or manual? Are you using the 2 speed correctly is it is a manuel?

But what ever you do, don't unhook that govenor. Speeking from experience, as a new bus driver I took a 1980 IHC with a 345 that had no govenor 75 miles an hour down the interstate for 3 hours until I burned a piston and dealt a fatal blow to the bus.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

chilly0302@copper.net

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  7:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I will check all that you suggeested. Will let you know later.
chilly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000