New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  2:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minnesota handles air brakes by way of restriction, rather than endorsement. Anyone possessing a class B license who is not certified to drive air brakes has a K restriction - "drive vehicle without air brakes." I am under the impression that two things are necessary in order to drive a vehicle with air brakes: 1) a CDL class B or A; and 2) the proper endorsement or absence of restriction. I have a class B license and am certified to drive air brakes.

Last summer I rented a flatbed truck from Ryder. This was a 25,000 GVWR unit, allowing it to be a class C vehicle but it had air brakes. When I rented it, they never looked at my license or asked me about it so they didn't know that I have a class B. I think that they would have given me this truck regardless of my license type. Is this illegal for them to rent this truck to people with non commercial drivers licenses? I am also wondering if there are federal regulations dealing with air brakes or if it is all state level. How is the driving of vehicles with air brakes regulated in your state?

ooops! I forgot that breaking news is at the top now. Sorry about the misplaced topic.

Edited by - Peter on 06/06/2003 2:08:45 PM

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  9:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It was my understanding that Rental companies like Ryder & Uhaul were exempted from the CDL Requirements along with the People who own and Drive those big Huge Rv's. Thanks to all the lobbists who didnt want to restrict people. Correct me if I am wrong, But thatas how I understood the law way back when it all started.
Armando Cuellar Madison Elem. SD #38,Phoenix Az.
Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  06:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amrmando is correct as it was explained to me by a U Haul dealer many years ago. Now to Peter as far as I know all states handle air brakes as a removal of the brake restridtion. One of the requirements for a class A CDL is combination vehicles. In order to pass the combination vehicle drive test you have to pass the air brake test. Which goes something like this. The Examiner ask you to tell all you know about air brakes. You start out with Brake start up proceedures then he may ask you when the flag drops or the buzzer sounds.Then he will ask about this or that. He may stop you in mid sentence because you have covered the key information that demonstrates your knowlege about that particular piece of the brake system.
Ryder has both a consumer rental business and a commercial business. Rentals from the commercial side of the house require A CDL. I can go to a Ryder Terminal and rent a 10 Ton Tractor or a 10 Ton Dump truck. While Uhaul rents only small trucks with hyd brakes.
Go to Top of Page

busmonkey

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  10:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In montana my license says class a type 1 with a passenger endorsement, doubles and triples, If I had a restriction with air brakes then it would state it on my license. It does not surprise me with uhaul because I talked to an older couple from canada who were infact driving a small semi and pulling a huge camping trailer stated they did not have to have any cdl for this set up, this does not seem right.
Another question is when I was in Los Alamitos California one guy said that they have a restriction for standard transmissions. If you had this restriction then you could only drive an automatic. I trained in an automatic but I also drive a standard. According to this guy if you lived in California then you would be restricted to only automatics. I thought these were national laws do states set up there own resrictions?

busmonkey
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  12:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
busmonkey,

For the most part, the national laws are minimum guidelines for the laws. The states can either meet or exeed those. Apparently California exeeds them in that case by creating that restriction.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000