Noisy Driveshaft
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  07:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The driveshaft on my bus (or it appear to be the driveshaft since the noise comes from beneath the aisle) always seems to rumble loudly between 44 and 47 miles per hour. I've had this "problem" for the four years I've owned the bus but and it doesn't seem to cause a hazard so I'm not that concerned as of yet. But would you have any idea what the problem might be? Any remedies? If you need any info about the drivetrain, it's a Ford B700 chassis with an 8.2L Detroit Diesel, AT545 transmission and air brakes (if the air brakes would affect the design of the rear end at all.). Thanks!

Stop at: http://buses.thesummit.biz

This is an industry where people brag about their times for 60-0, not 0-60.

MechanicMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  11:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our district had 1992 Thomas Fords with the same exact problem. We had to contact Ford and they replaced the driveshafts, since they at risk for causing very serious problems to the chassis. They told us not to use the buses until they had the new driveshafts and you really shouldn't either, unless you want to pay for problems in the long run. I wish you luck, but be prepared to pay serious cash!

note: my e-mail address is not registered yet, so just contact me on here. Thanks!

Mike Johnson: Chief Mechanic of the Kane, PA Central School District.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  11:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Our district had 1992 Thomas Fords with the same exact problem. We had to contact Ford and they replaced the driveshafts, since they at risk for causing very serious problems to the chassis. They told us not to use the buses until they had the new driveshafts and you really shouldn't either, unless you want to pay for problems in the long run. I wish you luck, but be prepared to pay serious cash!

note: my e-mail address is not registered yet, so just contact me on here. Thanks!

Thank you very much! Did they replace them for free? If they did, that would be a lifesaver for me!!! I'm a private owner of this bus and have a very tight budget, but if it is a quality problem on part of Ford I would expect them to pay for it.

Go to Top of Page

MechanicMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  11:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got it replaced out of warranty. It sounds like your bus is out of warranty so you would have to be very lucky to get a free replacement. You should ask the previous owner if they had the problem as well. I do not know how much a new driveshaft would cost, but a thousand to two thousand dollars is my best guess.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  11:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes I think it will be hard for you to get a free replacement since it is out of warranty and you aren't the original owner. But it wouldn't hurt to contact them and see what they say.

"America's #1 Conventional School Bus- Thomas/International."
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  11:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do not know how much a new driveshaft would cost, but a thousand to two thousand dollars is my best guess.

Just to give you an idea, a new driveshaft for the Crown I used to own cost around $1500.00. My total bill was more around $1800.00, but I also purchased tires, etc., when I had it in for work that time.

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation
Go to Top of Page

KMM
Advanced Member

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Send KMM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Since it is a known problem, check first with Ford to see if their is a recall on it before spending money with the dealer to have it fixed. If there is no warranty, you may try replacing universal joints or having the drive shaft balanced (If it can be) before spending money on the drive shaft. (The above will have to be replaced anyway!)

Go to Top of Page

wsauer3481

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  1:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Send wsauer3481 an AOL message  Click to see wsauer3481's MSN Messenger address  Send wsauer3481 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
you have 3 center bearings to suppor the drive shaft. and you probably have 4 or 5 u joints on that drive shaft. any of those components could be the caus of your vibration.

Go to Top of Page

BusInspector

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  7:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other thing to check is if all the shafts are in proper alignment. If one of the yolks was installed or reinstalled out of phase this could also produce the vibration. Remember even a shaft that is 90 degrees out of phase can cause a vibration.

DOT Nick
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  11:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it have a noticeable vibration or is it just a howling noise? Under power or on a level road?. Could be a rear diff. problem too. But I think Bus Insp.is on the right track.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  2:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've never really noticed any vibration, it's more of just a howling or rumbling noise. It seems to happen on any terrain because I don't ever recall going 45 MPH without it making the noise. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000