Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Long time no talk!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnuckleBuster76

45 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2023 :  09:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got out of the School Bus industry for a long time, spent time working on CNG trucks and have forgotten alot. So, question:

- 2018 International with a 6.7 Liter Cummins. Driver complaint was that it randomly died and wouldn't restart.
- Cranked but didn't run, acted like it was starved for fuel.
- Primed the filter and it started and idled fine.
- Hit the throttle and it died. I heard a "click" just before it died. No restart without letting it shut down COMPLETELY. Restarted and idled. Revved up and it stayed at a high idle fine. Let off the throttle, idled fine. Revved again and I heard that "click" and it died. Have since had it die at random times.
- Changed both fuel filters (though I'm thinking this isn't the issue) and air filter. ONLY code is an active code for Ambient Air Temperature Sensor (reading high or opened to high source).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

KnuckleBuster76

45 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2023 :  11:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, found it. For those who do not know:
Ambient air temp sensor on this model is clipped to the hood on the left side, right near the headlight. If one (or in my case BOTH) of these wires shorts - it causes all kinds of problems that shouldn't involve and ambient air temp sensor.

I had to peel back the loom and I found where the wires had both rubbed through, corroded, and BARELY touched metal, causing the short.

"Just... I dunno... Just fix it."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000