Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 ISB Coolant loss
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TRex

89 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  08:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit TRex's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2010 Thomas on a Freightliner conv chassis.VIN AL8755. Complaint is steady loss of coolant. New EGR cooler. No external signs of leakage and oil report shows no coolant. Doing a pop bottle test gives me a small marble sized bubble every 10 secs or so. No steady stream. When put under pressure it will leak down slowly. Been tested twice for combustion gas in coolant. Combustion gas indicated both times. I am not real confident about that test. Pulling the head is the next step. I want to be sure I am not missing something. BTW does the doghouse come out on these. It doesn't look like it. TIA

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  2:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you pressure tested the new egr? I've gotten bad ones from Freightliner before. Also, when you replaced it did you use an airlift coolant filler to get all the air out of the system? I have heard having air pockets in the egr can cause it to burn through.
Go to Top of Page

TRex

89 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  10:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit TRex's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We did airlift fill. Did not test the new one, but the old one showed no signs of coolant in it.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2019 :  04:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just changed an air compressor for this condition , would push it out under load on the road only, this was an ISB it would pop the 16 psi check at the back of coolant reservoir and without a bottle hooked up the only sign of wet was inside of the hose from fitting was wet but with the bottle hooked up it would catch coolant

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

TRex

89 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  04:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit TRex's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I will check that. I thought about the compressor but ruled it out because I never heard the air dryer cycle while testing. But the oil report shows no signs of coolant. I did notice that pressure relief valve. Not sure I am understanding how that recovery system works. Next time I have an old tank I am going to cut it open. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000