Looking for air brake suggestions for air loss
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
808 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  11:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a 05 FE 300 with insta chains . Lately bus has been losing air at the rate of a pound every minute . The loss is in the primary system . I have tried spraying each fitting with a cleaner with no success . I am looking for ideas for getting better results ? Any ideas ? I have seen a tester that is supposed to work ? I am at a loss here and welcoming advice . There are so many items that use air and aren't like the good old days . Loss is even with the brakes set or released .

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  6:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have found a common air leak on IC FE buses from 05 in the Primary system is caused by a pressure protection valve located behind the drivers side wiper motor access door. This valve is the air pressure protection valve for the air door that opens up once air pressure is around 50 psi. This valve prevents the air door from draining the entire primary system completely. You will find the valve located at the top of said compartment. Spray the valve with a soapy water solution (dawn dish soap works really good) and check it for leaks. You can tighten the 4 Phillips screws on the valve to see if it stops the leak but this is only a temporary solution. The valve is fairly cheap and available from your local International truck dealer (Not the bus dealer). Let me know if this is your issue.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  07:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've also found most of the plastic bowls on the regulator for the air door are cracked and leaking. I sourced an optional metal bowl that will cure the problem. Again, not an expensive fix.
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The loss is in the Primary/Rear air supply?
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
808 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  09:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Air loss was in primary and Big Papa and 57 Nut figured it out . Thanks Guys . I opened the door on the drivers side front and felt the air coming from it . Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000