New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  07:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else having trouble with the delta sensor going out all the time on these? I am thinking of relocating it. I'm thinking it is getting too hot. Anyone ever done that?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  10:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I'm going to go ahead and try to relocate this. I'll keep you all posted on my results.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  10:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what the Delta sensor is you're referring to.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

151 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ours would get wet and go goofy, we have attached them to the underside of the body by flipping the bracket on the sensor and extending the hoses. very few problem after that. IH had made a shield for them on the newer units that could be a retrofit but we just relocated them.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  11:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wet weather seems to be the common factor here, I get a rash of bad ones when it gets rainy or thawing in spring time when water is everywhere.... IH has shields(2612020C1) you can buy for them... they do seem to help... but have found a higher location and make my own cover works best..
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  11:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
AKA Pressure differential sensor on top of the DPF
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

I don't know what the Delta sensor is you're referring to.

Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  3:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 26 of the '09's and have never changed one to answer the original question. My ambient climate is really mild here in the PNW...
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  3:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is wet though! Rain expected every day for the next week. About 8" of rain in January but fairly warm. 5" in the last 2 weeks.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  05:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

It is wet though! Rain expected every day for the next week. About 8" of rain in January but fairly warm. 5" in the last 2 weeks.

Yuck! All due respect you ya, I'm glad I don't live there. Here in the mid-west we depend on the rain. But I don't really like it to be raining in my business. Just makes a mess.

"Delta" is what the parts department calls it. I've heard both. Didn't even know the word "delta" until after I called them "differential pressure". Then the parts guy says "what's that?" LOL, you gotta love these companies! When I worked for Ford they did the same thing. You'd think the designing engineer would give a part its name and then everyone would call it that. lol

I'm curious as to how the shield looks. Anyone have pictures?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, got it moved. We'll see how long it lasts.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mMlz1BcXO0yWHtgB2

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  06:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that didn't last long. Driver called in on the radio yesterday saying the check engine light is on and I have lots of blue smoke. OK, checked the codes and found "exhaust gas differential pressure (EGDP) signal out of range low (flash code 1729)" SPN3251 FMI4. Replaced differential pressure switch (Delta) and all was well until about 30 minutes into a wet route yesterday. Driver calls in with same complaint. Got it in this morning and have the same code. Pulled connector off and checked pins and for water, no problems. Cleared codes and it came right back within seconds.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  08:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Well, that didn't last long. Driver called in on the radio yesterday saying the check engine light is on and I have lots of blue smoke. OK, checked the codes and found "exhaust gas differential pressure (EGDP) signal out of range low (flash code 1729)" SPN3251 FMI4. Replaced differential pressure switch (Delta) and all was well until about 30 minutes into a wet route yesterday. Driver calls in with same complaint. Got it in this morning and have the same code. Pulled connector off and checked pins and for water, no problems. Cleared codes and it came right back within seconds.

Pull on your wires at the connector. I have had a few broken inside the covering.
Also make sure your tubes to the DELTA sensor and not plugged.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  08:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I've got a harness coming so maybe that will take care of the problem. Do you think the new sensor is bad now?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  10:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep , it`s the wiring !!
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  10:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doubt it. Don't blow air into it or it will be....

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  12:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, I don't plan to blow into it!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  12:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, called parts and they are having a hard time finding a harness. Any secrets you guys want to give me? lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  12:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if you were going to pull the harness to change it anyways, inspect the connectors, and wires going into them as Ron mentioned, if all is good there, pull the harness out if needed to inspect the entire length.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  1:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to check for chaffed wires when I get a minute. Thanks for all your help!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  3:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have changed lots of them. I have had them fail before leaving the yard, change it again and the problem goes away. I have boxes of old ones here. Just waiting for an International rep. to walk in the door. I am going to fill his pockets with them before he leaves.

Take one of the sensors apart, then try to justify the ridiculous price that we pay.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  04:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A few years ago those sensors were under a recall? field fix? not sure what...anyway didn't pay for most of the ones that went bad... at that time thru IH you could purchase them for like 35 bucks... a year or so later they same sensor had jumped to $135 if not under warranty... could never figure out why cost jumped? other than they could set what ever price they wanted...
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  05:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm not happy with the price either. 190 bucks through Rush Truck Centers! I really didn't like the place there before they bought it. Now, I really don't like them. They have lost a lot of business since they purchased it. Went from a 24 hour shop down to 16 hours a day.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  09:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, no bad wires that I can see. These wires go into the harness that has the DOC sensors and the last sensor behind the DPF. Then, on the front end, it goes into the harness that goes right into the ECM. Any ideas what I'm dealing with? Do I replace the Delta and go on or can it be the harness?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  11:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, talked to the guys at Midwest Transit (did I mention I love the guys at Midwest?). Anyway, I've tested the wires between the Delta Sensor connector and the ECM and they test good. Next step is to swap delta sensors with a sister bus just for grins and giggles.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  05:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I radioed the guy that drives the sister bus to leave his bus with me today. Oh yeah, I'm going to do that because the check engine light is on and it loses power and smokes. Great!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  05:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If memory serves correct, I tried our local international dealer a while back for a Cummins EGDP sensor and when he was done crossing the part number it ended up the same international party number as one we had gotten earlier for 6.4. 3626432C1
So, are they all the same?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  07:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, what are you thinking? You think trying a different manufacturer would be an option.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  07:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking you could use one from any of your buses that have one instead of a sister bus.
But your idea is a good one too. I have replaced 2 sensors on IH buses because the sensor was bad, we have 14 IH buses with DPF, close to 30 Visions with Cummins that have DPF, only replace the one on a Vision and it was because one of the fellows broke the nipple for the hose, not because the sensor failed. All other problems we had with the sensor have been wires rubbed through.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  08:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any other buses with DPFs. Went all propane after these two buses. I did get this swapped with the other bus. Code followed the part. Incidentally, the sensor on the other bus had the nipple broken off. I can't win for losing with these two buses. It didn't even set a code for it. It did have a code for the temp sensor between the DOC and DPF. It was unplugged.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000