New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've got an interesting one here. I developed a leak on this 04 Vision Allison Trans. I thought it was the front part of the pan gasket but wasn't sure. Replaced the pan gasket and still have a leak. Thought maybe it was the housing where the cooler lines come out but it looked above that. So, between the pan gasket and where that front housing, is where the fluid is coming from. In other words it's not coming from the Cooler manifold housing gasket and it's not coming from the Converter to main case gasket either. There doesn't appear to be another gasket there for it to come from. So, I cleaned some more and the oil is coming from what looks like a crack running up and down on the back side of the converter housing.

My question is, has anyone had this happen and do you think the labor and part would be more to replace the housing than just to buy a used trans and install it? I don't have special tools (and don't need them for one job) to do anything beyond pulling it apart and replacing the housing or just R&R the trans. Any ideas out there?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  04:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pics might be helpful because there is no fluid where I am envisioning the crack.

We had an Allison Retran that was totally botched from the plant that leaked at the gasket between the front housing and main body. I disassembled and reassembled with no special tooling, just took my time and made sure I kept things clean.

Pics in case something show helps you: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27265743@N03/albums/72157647914787407
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  06:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, going to try something here. I'm going to post a link to my google photo. Here goes nothing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QoUwhJxGTEpRIFnD3

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  06:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I had forgotten about that being on the bottom side of the converter housing. That's the housing I did and R&R on to replace the gasket in my pics. As I saw it, I was only out my time and $50 in parts, I couldn't make it any worse, and it worked out. Granted it was strictly R&R with new gaskets, no new components or special tooling.

Last 2000 reman I bought was in the $2600 neighborhood. Don't forget you'll have to have Allison DOC to do a reset on the pressures if you go that route. You may not get full core credit with a cracked housing though.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  06:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me know what you think. I'm wondering how may miles these things have in them. It's a spare but will need to last at least 5 more years and will accumulate probably another 15k to 20k in addition to the 195k it has on it now. I'm just wondering if the trans will give me trouble in the time frame. So, if it would, I would be willing to put a little extra into it to get a rebuilt instead of replacing the housing. If this trans is good for 250k to 300k then I think I'll just pull it and take my chances with replacing the housing.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  06:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

OK I had forgotten about that being on the bottom side of the converter housing. That's the housing I did and R&R on to replace the gasket in my pics. As I saw it, I was only out my time and $50 in parts, I couldn't make it any worse, and it worked out. Granted it was strictly R&R with new gaskets, no new components or special tooling.

Last 2000 reman I bought was in the $2600 neighborhood. Don't forget you'll have to have Allison DOC to do a reset on the pressures if you go that route. You may not get full core credit with a cracked housing though.

Could you tell by the pics, that it is cracked in that font housing? I mean, I see it but I really don't believe it. lol, how on earth does a housing crack like that?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  07:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything is junk in my book, so a crack doesn't shock me in the least. Sure looks like a crack on the side but heck it could go the life of the bus and never leak.

Maybe your gasket is leaking same as mine was? I really leaked fast on mine too! There are a bunch of bolts that you get to once you removed the T/C that hold it together. 2 sizes I believe, and with o-ring seals on each one. It's been a few years.

I've heard of guys getting 250K plus out of these things, that has not been my experience.

If it was my bus, I'd probably yank it apart and see if the gasket is blown out. At this point you can't make it any worse, short of dropping it off the jack and busting it open of course.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  07:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got the book out, it was done on 10/27/14 and it's still driving around today. Transmission had been in for 4 years before the leak started.

Dummy me didn't write down the part numbers "Oh I'll never need those". If I had it to do again, I'd have replaced those o-ring seals on the bolts too (didn't know they existed til I had it apart), but to be fair they aren't leaking.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  09:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a million for the information!! This is the reason I love this forum!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  09:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep us posted on what happens.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  10:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You bet.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  2:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Housing is $235. Not sure on the gaskets. He has the total on the gaskets at less than 30 bucks. Going to dive deeper into the gasket issue. However, I think even if the gaskets are 50 bucks, I'd be safe to try this.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  02:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's less than I would have guessed for the housing. If you just get gaskets, get it town down, then find more damage to the housing, what's the lead time to get it?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  05:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He said a couple weeks to get a rebuilt here. Just checked one place though. If it comes to that I will be checking around.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  06:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I meant to get the housing only. Couple weeks is rough for getting a reman! I can usually see one here within 4 days. At least it's a spare, so you don't get to enjoy "Is my bus done yet?" 46,000 times.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  06:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

At least it's a spare, so you don't get to enjoy "Is my bus done yet?" 46,000 times.

lol, No I don't!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  08:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those that are looking at this at a later date that it was posted, I forgot I started this thread. Here's a link to the other thread on this in case you are interested.http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40287

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Abetterchimney

27 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  1:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abetterchimney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 2007 Thomas C2 that needs this bellhousing i am thinking as we have a leak that we cant track down
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  2:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up replacing this transmission with a used one. It worked well for about 1,500 miles and then stopped shifting and would set a code. I could clear the code and it would shift ok until I crowded it a little and it would set the code again and then wouldn't shift out of 1st. I don't remember what the code was but it had to do with one of the solenoids. I replaced the ones it was calling for but that didn't help. I know the guy who owns my old trans with the new part if you're interested. In fact, I still have the trans here that needs to go back to him. Just let me know

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  2:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's in southern Illinois.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000