8-way flasher
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  5:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My '88 Thomas has the old motor driven flasher system. I am thinking of replacing it with the solid state flasher unit. Can anyone give me pros/cons about this? Also, can anyone tell me how easy/hard it will be?

349 - A repair work in progress!

Edited by - kd4jfd on 04/01/2002 5:49:40 PM

Wolf4dk

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  9:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did this once with an old Blue Bird. If you know what wire goes to what you shouldn't have a problem. Since I did this (almost 2 years ago) we have never had a problem with it. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

wsauer3481

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2002 :  1:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Send wsauer3481 an AOL message  Click to see wsauer3481's MSN Messenger address  Send wsauer3481 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Best thing you could do. iprefer the weldon 7000 series

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  5:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wedon 7000s are good units. Chiming in around $90.00, they are less then the Baader Brown motor driven flasher. I would recommend you stay away from the Areoflash because we had a lot of trouble with the relays and on-board fuses burning out, it kinda turned me against them. Know nothing about the ELS flasher.

I am partial to the motor driven flasher, because in 25 years, we've NEVER had one go bad. NOTHING. Weldons and Aeroflash...well...I've had to replace 4 Weldons this year (two were only 5 years old).

If it were me, I'd keep the Baader Brown, but that's just me

Yes, that's my bus.
No, you can't drive it.
Go to Top of Page

cowlitzcoach
Advanced Member

USA
325 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  06:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cowlitzcoach's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would chime in for the Baader-Brown unit as well. In 20+ years the only B-B unit I have seen that needed to be replaced had to be replaced because of a leak in the body that poured water into the unit and rusted it solid.

The solid state flasher units do take less juice to operate but do tend to have more problems than the old electro-mechanical units.

Mark O.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000