New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  05:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I am know far and wide for trying to save money. Over the past several years I have been using a pressure switch from NAPA to replace the back-up light switch on these older Allison transmissions. The price for OEM is over $100 and the NAPA switch is like 8 bucks. Anyway, this go around I put the switch in and it toasted my breaker (not sure if my breaker wasn't already toast, but that is a side issue). I put a fuse in place of the breaker and got another switch and, pow, it does it again (all I have to do is turn the key on and the fuse blows). If I unplug the switch and jump the wires the lights come on and the fuse doesn't blow. Any ideas? Or am I just going to have to put a hundred dollar switch on this one?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  07:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, now it has changed. It was coming on when I connected the wires together at switch but now even when the switch harness is disconnected I am still getting a direct short. So, does the wire run from the fuse box through a body connector junction and then down to the switch? This is on a 1998 Chevy/ BB

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  08:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, I hate chasing electrical problems. Especially when it turns out to be simple. lol I found a wired shorted to ground at the bell housing. This is after it goes through a connector. Had to take the dog house off to get to it. I didn't see it until I turned over the pack of wires. Was thinking about just deleting this post all together but I will leave it up hoping it will help others. If you read this and it helps you please post so I will know my efforts to post were not in vein. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  08:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We feel your pain. I vote you leave it up and give us the NAPA number for the $8.00 switch.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  09:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, Well, I misread the ticket. It's 8.70 Anyway, it's P/N- OP6624

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  09:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
granted it's not $8.70, but I only pay $28.35 for an Allison Reverse Light Switch pt # 416372C1 from International (it has gone up severely the last couple of years.)

over $100? I'd be talking to my sales rep about a different pricing scale... and in the meantime, I'm going to check out Napa, lol

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  12:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan I used that same part # switch on the generator in the wanderlodge. All this time I did not think about it working on the allisons. Way to go man.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  4:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That switch also works as a air door/8-way activator in the older Thomas ER's
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  06:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddo

granted it's not $8.70, but I only pay $28.35 for an Allison Reverse Light Switch pt # 416372C1 from International (it has gone up severely the last couple of years.)

over $100? I'd be talking to my sales rep about a different pricing scale... and in the meantime, I'm going to check out Napa, lol

Is that the one with the pig tail on it? Maybe they have come down over the past few years. I think it was 8 or 10 years ago when I checked on it at Allison last. I try to check those things out more often but when you have a NAPA right across the street it is hard not to just go with what works and forget about OEM.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  10:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pigtail bwest? Perhaps we are talking about 2 different things then?

Edited by - eddo on 06/21/2013 10:46:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  11:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one you have pictured is the older version ( I assume it has round connectors inside the boot). The OEM switch on mine have a pigtail made right to the switch. What I do is cut the pigtail from the old one and install female spade connectors to the cut ends and plug them into the above NAPA part number.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  12:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gotcha! :) that makes sense.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000