Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2014 emissions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

05ICCE

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  6:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit 05ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently ordered a 2014 IC CE Maxforce DT 230 HP 77 pax. What i never asked about is the emissions. Has IC started using the SCR system or still installing the Advanced EGR system?

Edited by - 05ICCE on 05/13/2013 6:46:20 PM

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  09:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Google "Navistar Medium Duty SCR". The first thing to come up should be a Fleetowner magazine article detailing an interview with Nav execs in Canada. Here is the excerpt:
quote:
As for putting SCR-equipped engines in medium-duty International engines, Koc said Navistar has “not yet made any formal announcement, but we are moving ahead with our engineering efforts in this area. We expect to provide more details prior to mid-2014 on medium-duty engines with SCR; no engine brand determination has yet been made.”

So lots of questions still out there. I would not expect to see them in buses prior to October 2014. Just a semi-educated guess.
Go to Top of Page

05ICCE

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  3:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit 05ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I emailed our sales man he said the same as you, second half of 2014. thanks

Mr. Scott, "because he drives a COOL BUS"
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  6:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder if they are thinking about a propane engine too? I believe they are getting behind the curve on both accounts.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  8:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"No engine brand determination"...
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  08:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cummins in Columbus,IN has a job posting listed. I also got a call from a guy who grabbed my resume off Monster about the same job. They want someone to show/train international dealers on the new Cummins emissions.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  08:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

Cummins in Columbus,IN has a job posting listed. I also got a call from a guy who grabbed my resume off Monster about the same job. They want someone to show/train international dealers on the new Cummins emissions.

LOL!! That's funny. I guess there is more than one way to find out the information you are wanting.
As a side note, are you thinking of moving on Rob?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  08:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

LOL!! That's funny. I guess there is more than one way to find out the information you are wanting.

Its no secret that International is offering Cummins 15 liter diesels in their big trucks.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 05/21/2013 08:56:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  09:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ya, I've been here in the ghetto since we lost the dealerships in 2008. GM and BB both plus we moved from a modern building to a leased dump. How much longer till someone takes our routes? I have to share the building with a crook who thinks he can paint cars. No security, at all. Ya time to move on.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  10:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's too bad. Well, I hope things turn out well for you. Keep in touch.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  1:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

quote:

quote:

Its no secret that International is offering Cummins 15 liter diesels in their big trucks.

I saw that the big trucks were getting the isx15. I couldn't find any SCR info other than this. I think they are just paying the fines and using the egr.

http://www.internationaltrucks.com/vgn-ext-templating/itrucks/assets/docs/NAV_CMI_Agreement_102312_FINAL-1.pdf

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  03:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't want to start a new topic on this, so I am putting it in here since it is 2014 EPA nonsense...

I attended a Blue Bird class yesterday on the new T3's we are soon to receive. Effective with the 2014 engines, the "Wait to start" light is changing to white in color...here is why that is VERY important...

The driver MUST wait for that light to shut off before cranking or they will have a warning light and alarm that cannot be silenced as well as a fault code. The only way to reset this condition is to allow the bus to go from operating temperature to cold, three times.

The said the alarm is not able to be silenced with the button. I guess I'll find out when it happens.

Just wanted you all to be aware of this change that the EPA is requiring, it is going to be a pain in our rear-ends!
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  5:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Didn't want to start a new topic on this, so I am putting it in here since it is 2014 EPA nonsense...

I attended a Blue Bird class yesterday on the new T3's we are soon to receive. Effective with the 2014 engines, the "Wait to start" light is changing to white in color...here is why that is VERY important...

The driver MUST wait for that light to shut off before cranking or they will have a warning light and alarm that cannot be silenced as well as a fault code. The only way to reset this condition is to allow the bus to go from operating temperature to cold, three times.

The said the alarm is not able to be silenced with the button. I guess I'll find out when it happens.

Just wanted you all to be aware of this change that the EPA is requiring, it is going to be a pain in our rear-ends!

What the heck is the purpose of this new system? I was wondering why there was a huge obnoxious light on the new Birds.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  05:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everything the EPA does is a pain in the rear end. Just read a story about a poultry farmer who is suing the EPA. Seems that the EPA wanted to fine her $40,000 a day for too much nitrogen run off from the farm's manure. They estimated, estimated mind you, that the farm was producing 1.5 million tons of manure a year when in reality, after a study, it was producing only 261,723 pounds. Morons! It makes a person wonder if they are "estimating" how many tons of carbon are being put out by these diesel engines. I still contend they are the reason for the problems we are having with our economy.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  4:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
REALLY?

So we're not allowed to have a radio speaker anywhere nearby us, but they will mandate a non-stop alarm? What an obnoxious distraction. Whose bright idea was it to "punish" a driver of a diesel started cold? Are the emissions that bad at cold start?

I would return to the lot with buses that had non-stop alarms. I guess that will be bound to happen three days in a row. How is that saving fuel and emissions?

ARGH!

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  3:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well here is the definitive statement on their plans. Cummins after treatment system. Maxxforce engines.

http://fleetowner.com/news/navistar-add-cummins-scr-systems-its-medium-duty-maxxforce-engines-next-year
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  09:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allegedly not waiting causes the emissions to be "unclean" when the thing starts. Like Brad says, EPA = Pain in the...
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  09:55:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Allegedly not waiting causes the emissions to be "unclean" when the thing starts. Like Brad says, EPA = Pain in the...

Cold starts do emit more CO an NO that is a fact. It's a trade off though when warm you will get less soot particles when you restart vs lower levels of CO an NO. Yes the EPA needs to be in the field more and doing actual tests rather than relying on 3rd party data.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  10:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two new T3s are due in less than a month....can't wait for that first radio call... "there is an alarm going off"
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  11:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it would have been nice take the 2014 courses but financials kill that idea.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  10:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was free via my dealer. Everyone in Ohio who has a T3 on order or planning on getting one was encouraged to attend.

EPA 2014 was just a small (but valuable) segment of the day. The lunch was the best part, as always!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000