Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 More questions DT 466
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  8:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay I am back and have some more questions about my progress on the DT 466 I am working on . I started pulling the liners to replace the seals . After I pulled 2 sleeves I didn't see anything visible wrong at first . I left them and went and did some other things and when I came back to them one of the lower seals had split .I took the seal off and it was brittle . I haven't removed the other seals yet . Could I have damaged those bottom seals in removal ? If not then would they crack on their own after removal ? Also with those bottom seals being brittle would they cause my coolant leaks ?Would one seall cause the leaks ? I have 3 seals on the bottom of the sleeve . Thanks !!!!

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  11:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the seals are brittle from being in the engine for so long. This is the biggest weak point of the DT engine.

The seals are there to keep water out of the engine, and the top and bottom ones form a water way around the cylinder wall to keep the cylinder cool, so yes, these are very likely where your water in the oil is coming from. The heat eventually wears out these seals, and you get a leak.

I'd replace them all while you are there.
good luck! :)
Go to Top of Page

efkimes

31 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  06:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Send efkimes a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If it is a DT466E there is a problem with piston to liner clearance. It is to tight and taking out the liner packing, o-rings. The new pistons and liners correct the problem. We are on our seconed one that is dumping coolant past the liner. So, the packing does get brittle from the piston to liner clearance.
Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  08:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it's an pre computer Dt thanks for the info .
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  3:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think those old three ring liner seals were the most dependable. Yours are just at the end of their life. They went to the two ring setup just before the 'E' series engines came out and I'm not too happy with them. I've put in a lot of 'Works' kits in the last few years on 'E' series engines with two gallons of coolant in the oil pan. I still have two DTs with their original 3 ring liners. A '92 and, brace yourself, an '81 in a fire truck.

Their solution is a single 'O' ring on the latest liners. A seal similar to the one that they use on the unit injectors.The jury is still out.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 11/10/2011 3:50:33 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000