New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  10:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not work in this business, but am curious about something. With diesel well over the $4.00 a gallon mark, I am curious why many districts will use their largest RE buses for field trips, sports, etc. when the bus is not even half-full. Is there some sort of "stigma" when the smaller buses are used? It would beat walking. It seems to me that a lot of districts could save some money for fuel if they used buses which were appropriate for the activity. I have seen a couple of instances where a large (78-90 passenger) RE stopped at a restaurant and only 9 people were on the bus including the driver. I can see this if it is the only bus available, but in a few instances this was on Saturday where most of the fleet would have been parked.

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  11:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We tend to send our newest units out on field trips, especially when it isn't a local trip. The driver always has the option as to whether or not they drive their assigned bus, but most, if not all, opt to use the new(er) buses. Our IC RE-300's are among some of the newest buses we operate, and therefore, they are used quite a bit, even when there isn't a full load.

To my knowledge, the issue of fuel mileage on our IC CE-200's vs. our IC RE-300's has never been addressed, and honestly, I'm not sure if there's that much of a notable difference between the two. The only other buses we run are gasoline-powered Blue Bird/GMC CV200's, and those, of course, are far less economical in all regards!

When I was still living and working in California, my assigned bus was a 78-passenger Crown Supercoach. I remember picking up numerous groups and teams comprised of less than 20 total passengers. I could drive up to three trips in one day, though, and a group with 70+ people could easily fall into the mix. Under those circumstances, it was easier for me to be assigned the larger capacity bus rather than taking two or three different buses out in one day.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  1:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Also keep in mind that you may have seen them on the return trip (when groups are more likely to stop). With sports events, the buses are almost always less crowded on the return, as many parents drive to the event to watch their kids play and then drive them home. It's not uncommon to drive to an afternoon track meet with 2 HSers in every single seat and return with 2 coaches and less than a dozen kids. It's more economical to use the same bus, even if it's almost empty on the way back, than to drive somewhere to switch out.

No stigma about sending a small bus (not for us anyway ). The kids might not like it, but if they get made fun of tell them to respond "Yeah, well OUR district is going green!"
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  1:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our district contracts the buses for field trips. So I assume the contractor doesn't care because they get paid the same whether its only 10 kids or a bus load. And these buses are 90s equipment as well, nothing fancy.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  5:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Luggage bays might also have been necessary, and those bigger / newer REs might be the only buses with them.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  5:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There isnt a whole lot of difference in fuel milage. We have 36 passengers getting the same as 64 passengers. I guess when you are using 5 - 6 thousands gallons a month a few extra dollars dont matter much. I know a pusher would be more comfortable to drive on trips. I drove soccer today and took 22 people to the game and came home with 4. 55 miles one way.

"Hardybusman"

Edited by - C.HARDY on 05/05/2011 5:44:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  5:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was once told that the smaller Type C's are the same price as the larger type C's. I cannot confirm this though. It was from another driver.

And yes, the bus is less crowded on the way back. I've done a few trips where I would take the first group of kids, then return and grab the second group, with only one trip back. They did this instead of sending two buses because of the particular contract with the school, and only allowing them to have a certain number of buses for charters at a certain time.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  6:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We are a small rural district and only purchase full size buses. While we have a mix of conventionals and rear engines in the mix the newer buses are rear engine and do the majority of the trips.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000