Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 what ic engine would you buy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr.bluebird

United States
44 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  8:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr.bluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
would you buy the maxforce dt or the maxforce7 and why ??
any info will help thanks .

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  8:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Obviously the DT is considered better, but for the people on budgets, they usually go with the 7.
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  9:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neither.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  9:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been working on DT466s since the late 1970s and for many years I considered them the best mid-range diesel engine on the market. Then came the DT466E and now I'm not so sure. We've had a lot of liner seal and injector seal issues which were not a problem in the older engines.

The next generation VG turbos have been a headache. So far the Maxxforce DTs have been reliable tho we are watching an '09 for possible fuel dilution. The jury is still out.

The V8s are junk IMHO.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 01/12/2011 9:25:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  02:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked out info on the new engines and my pick is the DT since the service interval is 15,000 instead of 10,000. I think (but not from personal knowlege) that IH has their act together a lot more on the V8 offering now than back in the VT days but I still ordered the DT. We are still experiencing oil dilution on the 07 emissions Maxxforce DT but I believe that the 2010 emissions product will not have the same extent of problem since it uses a downstream injector during dosing for regen instead of the "in-cylinder" dosing (on the exhaust stroke) used on the 07 product. "I have a dream" that IH will magically develop a downstream injector for the 07 emmisions product which I think would fix the fuel getting into the oil on a lot of their engines as well as the EGR cooler fin clogging that is going on. Well that's my "I have a dream" speech anyway! :)
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  05:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the T444E came out we buy the V8s in the conventionals, never have had a reason to regret it. We bought FEs during the early years of the VT365 so maybe that helped us escape some issues.
We are a small fleet, we have an 04 E450 with a 6.0, an 08 IC with a VT365 that have been great and have 2 07 emission MaxxForce 7s that have been problem free and don't "make oil".
We like the quietness, the cold weather starting, the lack of a "doghouse" and the no valve lash adjustment of the V8s.
We do buy stock unit buses and try not to buy the first year of anything, we get one per year and pick and choose the one fitting our needs. As far as the IC buses go our baseline is must have tinted glass, air brakes and air ride. Either engine is not a deal breaker for us.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  06:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBusman

Neither.

Agree with him.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  07:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Alot of schools around here switched to the DT towards the end of the VT365 era. For resons that everyone knows. But know many have gone back to the V8. They seem to be holding up just fine.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  10:50:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to say that the MaxxForce 7 is the better one to listen to. I mean, not listen to, because it's so quiet. Compared to the ISB 6.7 and MF 7, I think that the MF DT is unacceptably loud, but it seems to be a stellar engine aside from the oil dilution / regeneration. Our '10 CE300 is the most powerful school bus I've ever been in, and I've come to like how it sounds (what little I do hear of the MF 7, it sounds very wimpy).

How are the 7s power-wise?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000