Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 break warning light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tbyrd_77

1 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  8:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit tbyrd_77's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the break light and buzzer on our 1996 blue bird t2000 won't go off. I filled the fluid and checked everything I could think of but can't figure out why it is on. Any ideas? It is not the light and buzzer for the parking break, it's the one on the right side of the dash for the regular breaks. The electric aux. motor comes on when you push the pedal without the key turned on.

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  8:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Aux. brake motor should cut in when you step on the brake without the key on.
Causes for the light to come on can include but not limited to;
- low brake fluid
- low fluid flow in the boost system
- faulty flow switch
- Brake pressure failure sensed by the pressure differential switch
- faulty brake light bulbs/ grounds
- brake alarm module failure
- weak primary boost pump[most systems use the power steering pump
circuit]
Go to Top of Page

Harrison Fire

United States
175 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  11:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could sure use a "the break light".
Then they would know to leave me alone or join me.
My Bad.
You must mean "the Brake Light".
This post bugged me since I have had to deal with a Hydromax as well.
A while ago,I searched online for, and found, then printed a handy, dandy manual for this puzzling setup.
Had to search 2 times today using different wording to find it again.
My suggestion is to print it out.
I have looked at it several times since I made a copy.
HF

http://rb-kwin.bosch.com/pool/usa/pdfs/HydroMax_Hydraulic_Brake_Booster_Manual.pdf

My Fleet? (6) 93/99 IH 3800 Thomas and Blue Bird, Hydraulic Brakes, Manual and Auto Trans, (10) 00/06 FS65 Thomas Air Brake and Auto Trans, (2) 06 C2 Thomas and (2) 09/10 IC CE 300, Plus 3 more from another District

Edited by - Harrison Fire on 08/22/2010 12:01:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  2:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We traded in the last bus to use that 'break' system 5 years ago. Good riddance! We are all air now.

But, yeah, test all those switches and bulbs and pressure test your steering pump in that way overdesigned system. Harrison Fire gives you the link to the manual and he tutors air conditioning systems too.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 08/22/2010 2:46:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  3:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Progress is good. Us old timers that remember endless clutch changes and dealing with hydraulic brakes (Girling...eeeeek)can tell these younger guys how good they got it now.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  9:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our entire fleet is still on juice brakes and 1/3 of it still uses clutches. Our clutch changes were not excessive when in a fleet of
60 buses[Two were automatic] we were changing 8-10 clutches a year.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  05:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great resource HF!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  1:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Mc

Our entire fleet is still on juice brakes and 1/3 of it still uses clutches. Our clutch changes were not excessive when in a fleet of
60 buses[Two were automatic] we were changing 8-10 clutches a year.

Heck, When ours were manual (two fleets I worked for) I did more than 10 per year by myself. More like three per month. You have my sympathy on the hyd brakes. Personally I hate working on them-- air has spoiled me.
Go to Top of Page

Harrison Fire

United States
175 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  7:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to help.
Now we need a manual for those new Navistar hydraulic brakes.
(ISIS)
The ones that slow the vehicle when the park is set and don't lock till it is stopped.
Hopefully I will never need one.
HF
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  5:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Harrison Fire, do you like ISIS? Yes, we have it, too, but I wish they had enhanced wiring diagrams for pre-2007 models.

I have a 1998 with dash problems that is blowing the fuse with the IP cluster plugged in, yes it is a new cluster. I'm trying to dig through ISIS between the crisis management of school startup, and training drivers, and aides. Anyway, it is getting real interesting with all the buses being checked out Friday for routes.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Harrison Fire

United States
175 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  10:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried to use ISIS, but with a one mechanic garage, I have not had the time to learn the ways of this resource. When I get stumped, the solution is always out there. Just need to ask the right person.
HF
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000