Enter Forum: Just For Fun
 Bus to motorhome
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Busguy112

5 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  11:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a 88 gmc 48 pass with a 454 made into a motor home do you think it will pull better if i put a DTA 360 in both hav A/T trans and run verry good

Edited by - Busguy112 on 05/19/2010 11:55:17 AM

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  1:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow..This is a tough one considering both of these engines are very good ones. However, I would say go with the 454 because it's a gasser. A gas engine is a great engine.

Here's the best run school bus camper (skoolie) website. If you have any more questions, they are skilled at answering them. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCHOOLBUSconversioNUTS/
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  2:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Another good one is http://www.skoolie.net. For anyone interested, I recently acquired a project of my own. I'm on that site as busdriver_phil.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  6:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The problem is that most professionally built motorhome bodies are flimsy, cheaply-built, and unsafe. Many people, myself included, have decided to convert a former school bus (often the bus is saved from the scrapyard by this type of project), due to the much safer steel-frame design. In addition, converting a bus gives the owner the flexibility of a custom layout to suit their own needs, and the satisfaction of doing the work themselves.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2010 :  06:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
most professionally built motorhome bodies are flimsy, cheaply-built,

True enough! That alone would make me search for a good RE unit to convert rather than bus a plywood/plastic RV! I'm sure there are good ones out there, however their standards/specs aren't nearly a stout as school bus units!

FYI, military school "type" buses are painted a color corresponding with the branch of the service. ie; Marines and Army are green, Navy is blue or grey, as is Air Force.

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!

Edited by - wagonmaster on 05/24/2010 06:43:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  9:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both are good engines. I would stick with the 454. Reasonable price
for parts, parts availability, anyone can work on it. The gas engines will be more satisfactory if backed by a standard trans.
Go to Top of Page

Busguy112

5 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  12:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you for your replys yes this bus was saved from the crusher and is tuffer then any RV i found on the market i have 2 teenage boys and the project was a good time togeather and kid tuff and mother approved we can go any ware we want no road no problem love it down by the river or next to that fancy RV at the lake this bus was in my fleet and ran to good to send to the scrapper old girl keep on running with the big dogs when you go skoolie you never go back
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  9:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. My statement was a generalization, I don't know enough about the different brands and their construction. Another good one, I'm sure, was the older Blue Bird Wanderlodge line, when they were still building them on the All American chassis.

Still, I prefer working on a vehicle that I know, doing the work myself, having a custom layout, and saving money. I bought a Laidlaw-spec AmTran RE partly because those buses are a dime a dozen. I would never do something like that to any bus of historical significance. For a while I owned a 1972 Crown Supercoach. It was suggested that I should convert that to a camper, and I'm sure it would have made a good one, but it was painful to think about cutting even one seat out. At the time, I couldn't afford to stay on top of maintenance, and I couldn't afford to insure or register it, so I sold it to a friend who helps maintain the bus fleet at a transit museum. It's still yellow, being kept all original, and is being well taken care of.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  05:51:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus724

For a while I owned a 1972 Crown Supercoach. It was suggested that I should convert that to a camper, and I'm sure it would have made a good one, but it was painful to think about cutting even one seat out. At the time, I couldn't afford to stay on top of maintenance, and I couldn't afford to insure or register it, so I sold it to a friend who helps maintain the bus fleet at a transit museum. It's still yellow, being kept all original, and is being well taken care of.

Good to hear. I always wondered the where-abouts of that bus recently. Pretty soon there won't be too many of those buses floating around!
Go to Top of Page

Busguy112

5 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  12:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a 2000 IC bus "wait to start light inop"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000