Has IC Canceled the FE?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  04:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Browsing the revamped IC Bus website and there is no longer any mention of an FE model. Only BEs, REs and CEs listed.
Not so long ago, excitement was in the air about an FE forward advantage and the standard FE model, now it appears with IC getting leaner and Conway shutting down we won't have any FEs at all.

Edited by - Fastback on 04/13/2010 04:36:01 AM

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  10:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. The FE does serve a purpose for districts who see the advantages of better visibility in a flat-nose style bus, but don't have the cash to spend on the RE models.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  11:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NWCROWN

Interesting. The FE does serve a purpose for districts who see the advantages of better visibility in a flat-nose style bus, but don't have the cash to spend on the RE models.

The REs are not a practical choice on gravel roads because of the dust and dirt getting plastered all over the back. Also the FEs have a much shorter turning radius for a givin size compared to either the RE or the conventional.
The real loss is for us rural fleets who want to continue buying buses that do not use DEF but need a large capacity, manueverable bus, with good visibility and have it fit in a cramped maintenance facility.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 04/13/2010 11:17:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  1:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's crazy, I thought the new IC-FE was nice.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!

Edited by - Jake on 04/13/2010 1:54:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  2:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nobody has officially said it's done. There's a possibility they're doing a photoshoot for the most recent model, and they're waiting on that before it's put up.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  5:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.icbus.com/ICBus/Buses/School+Route/

This page appears like they consider it the complete lineup. Also the RE information really stresses the advantage of engine accessibility, for those that read between the lines.

Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  6:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that very few transit buses are sold by all three manufacturers. The IC FE was probably a very small seller, probably under 500 a year. I'd honestly guess closer to 300.

They just moved the transit bus production into the Tulsa plant which was previously all conventional. A lot easier to build one transit bus. Also, I'm sure the front engine would be an absolute horror show to try and cram in any more additional cooling for 2010 emissions.

Besides, the IC FE was the least driver friendly FE out there. And hideous. No big loss.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  7:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would seem likely that the 2010 SCR emissions solution would be more easily adapted to the front engine transit buses as the additional "stuff" goes under the bus. And the 2010 EGR emissions solution would be the easier of the two solutions to fit in a rear engine bus as the engine compartment is large and there is no additional aftertreatment device to fit into the short exhaust system.

Edited by - Fastback on 04/13/2010 7:21:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  06:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=34&topic=1553.0;topicseen

Response from a dealer there. Looks like emissions killed it like I said.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  08:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at the dual turbo setup on the 2010 MaxxForce DT and are familiar enough with the FE buses and clearances on the turbo side its not too hard to see where there might have been some issues. In addition the greater than 230 hp DTs are 4" taller.

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  10:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think they ever solved the heat issues around the drivers area from the doghouse. With the volume of comaplints it may have been cheaper to quit making it than to continue and deal with the issues.

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  2:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emission change overs are a common trigger for model deletion, modification or changes. FS-65 in 07 is a pretty good example. Freightliner got rid of the FLD in 10/02 the same way.

The old, "It cost too much to integrate" defense.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  07:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There isn't an IC FE that I know of around here and come to think of it, I have not seen a forward engine since the last TC2000s. I have yet to see a new Blue Bird FE on the road here in Ontario. Has the new BBFE sold in the USA or is it mostly Visions for Blue Bird?
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  08:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ the new D3 has sold quite well in New York.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  08:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FE's are still in wide use here in Southwest Washington, although Blue Bird and Thomas are far more common than IC. Although a lot of districts that used to buy FE's seem to be moving toward RE's these days, there are still some sticking with FE's.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  10:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Was IC still not using a drop-frame on there FEs ? That's probably why the engine wouldn't fit.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  12:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert,

I thought the exact same thing while I was sitting around yesterday. I wonder if using the drop frame chassis would allow them to fit everything under the "doghouse". I find it hard to believe that a company would be willing to give up some of it's market share, even if it's only a little bit.
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  11:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm sure if they kept it the doghouse would be rediculously huge. Anybody remember the Ward President? The top was basicly at windshield level and the shifter was built in on top of it.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  7:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 78fordwayne

Was IC still not using a drop-frame on there FEs ? That's probably why the engine wouldn't fit.

No, IC is not using a drop frame on the FEs. What would it help? The presant doghouse already compromises access from the stepwell to the aisle and to the drivers seat. You can't really drop the DT engine any farther, the oil pan to ground clearance is already marginal. Manufacturers that use an engine that fits in a pickup truck have a packaging advantage in this application.

Edited by - Fastback on 04/23/2010 7:20:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  05:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya sure it wasn't the extra 6" doghouse clearence needed to accomodate the 2nd EGR Cooler?

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000